Too short 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Cha-ching! 0.6 60.0% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 5 ]

Hi!
So, this is the starting framework for the mechanics so far:
In order to resolve a conflict, we need to know 3 things:
1) What Traits your character is using
2) What Traits the other character is using
3) The Scope of the conflict. This determines what dice is rolled. For instance, a Personal conflict might be no die or 1d4, a conflict that effects a nation might be 1d20 and a global conflict might be 1d100.

To see how these Traits are made, see this thread:
http://gaiaonline.com/forum/table-top-gaming/feedback-requested-dnawesome-my-new-supers-game/t.40936711/

So, each side adds up the following:
100 for each Super Power used
10 for each Power used
1 for each Ability used
-1 for each Mark in play
-10 for each Weakness in play
-100 for each Super Weakness in play
and adds their die roll (Players always troll the same size die).

The winner gets a number of effect points equal to the amount that they won by (Their total-the other total). They spend those points to affect the game world:
Target:
One person - 0
Self - 10 (Add 10 to the other cost if you are not the only person affected)
2-100 people - 10
101-1,000 people - 20
1,001-1,000,000 people - 50
1,000,001+ people - 100

Effect
Add a Standard trait - 1
Add an Ability/Mark - 2
Add Power/Weakness - 20 per Arena Tag
Add a Super Power/Super Weakness - 100 per Arena Tag
Hospitalize - Net Value*
Incapacitate - Gross Value*

Duration
One Scene - 0
One Day - 1
One Week - 2
One Month - 5
One Year - 10
Permanent - 100

Notes:
Net Value = (100 x Super Powers) + (10 x Powers) + Abilities - Marks - (10 x Weaknesses) - (100 x Super Weaknesses)
Gross Value = (100 x Super Powers) + (10 x Powers) + Abilities

Caveat
You cannot earn ANY Effect Points without having a conflict that involves both a PC and an NPC.

Example:
Uber Man faces Rex Ruthless. He uses Super Strength, X-Ray Vision and Observant. And Rex uses Green Rocks against him. Rex is trying to control Urbopolis with a mind control ray, so the scope is 1d10 (the city). Uber Man's player gets to roll 1d10 and add 100+10+1-10 (101) and gets 105. Rex rolls and adds up his Traits for a total of 43. So Uber Man gets 62 effect points. He decides that about 1 million people in Urbopolis (the ones that know he saved them) will gain the Standard Traits "Seeks Truth" and "Seeks Fairness" for a year (50 for 1 million people, 2 for traits and 10 for the year).

What do you guys think?
All,
OK, here is the revised mechanics.
If no one sees any glaring holes, I'll put together a mock Actual Play Example and we can see what it looks like:

Turn Order:
Narration continues normally until one player (usually the GM) calls for a Challenge, then the following Turn Order applies
Initiating player sets the Scope of the Challenge (how many people are threatened)
Scopes are as follows:
* Battle of Wills: No die rolled
* Individual threatened: Roll 1d4
* Group Threatened: 1d6
* Village or Town threatened: 1d8
* City threatened: 1d10
* Region threatened: 1d12
* Nation threatened: 1d20
* World threatened: 1d100

Challenged Player sets the Arena (Physical, Mental or Social)

Players take turns narrating using Traits (Abilities, Powers, Super Powers, etc) to rise to the Challenge

Once all players involved have used all the Traits they want to bring to this Challenge, add up the following:
100 for each Super Power used
10 for each Power used
1 for each Ability used
-1 for each Mark used
-10 for each Weakness exploited
-100 for each Super Weakness exploited
Each side of the challenge (regardless of the number of characters involved) only rolls one die (not one die per player) equal to the Scope

The grand total is your Effect Points. This represents your characters ability to change the game world.

Whoever has the highest total Effect Points is known as the Winner of this Challenge. The other side is the Loser.

The Winner has one chance to spend points to cancel the Loser's Effect Points on a 1-for-1 basis (e.g., if I roll 160 and you roll 100, I can spend 60 of my 160 pts to lower your total to 40, leaving me with 100 left to spend). The only limit on this is it can only be done once and it cannot lower the Loser's total below zero.

If the Loser has points left, they have one chance to lower the Winner's total on a 1-for-1 basis following the same rules as the previous step.

If the Loser has any points left, they can buy whatever effects they like using the table below

The Winner can spend the remaining Effect Points any way they choose, with one exception. They cannot remove an effect created by the Loser. They can remove Effects created by any player (including the GM) in a previous Scene though.

Effect Costs:
Effects
Add Standard Trait: 1
Add Ability: 10
Add Mark: 5
Add Power: 100
Add Weakness: 50
Add Super Power: 200
Add Super Weakness: 100
Remove Standard Trait: 2
Remove Ability: 5
Remove Mark: 10
Remove Power: 50
Remove Weakness: 100
Remove Super Power: 100
Remove Super Weakness: 200
Hospitalize: (100 x Super Power Arena Tags) + (10 x Power Arena Tags) + Abilities - Marks - (10 x Weakness Arena Tags) - (100 x Super Weakness Arena Tags) - Target is wounded and is laid up in the hospital and unable to act Physically for the Duration
Incapacitate: (100 x Super Power Arena Tags) + (10 x Power Arena Tags) + Abilities - Target is unable to act physically, mentally and socially for the Duration

Duration
One Scene: 0 (This is 3 days or one scene, whichever occurs first)
One Day: 1 (Any number of scenes)
One Week: 10 (Any number of scenes)
One Month: 100 (Any number of scenes)
One Year: 300 (Any number of scenes)
Permanent: 200 (Another Effect can still negate this though)

Target
One person: 0 (Besides self)
Self: 5 (Add this to another Target if you are affected along with others)
2 to 20: 1 (Group)
21 to 1,000: 3 (Village/Town)
1,001 to 10,000: 5 (City)
10,001 to 1,000,000: 10 (Big city)
1,000,001 to 10,000,000: 20 (Region/Small Nation)
10,000,001+: 100 (Large Nation/World)

So, what do you guys think?
Hi,

I noticed you used a mental power(X-Ray Vision) and a physical power(super Strength) in the same fight and as I understand it, you can only use one or the other not both. This was actually good to figure out since I can now re-calculate the fight and see what I get. So, I think that slight error in the example was good to see so in the future of this game I know I will be watching for staying with the rules and trying to remember what is allowed and what is not. I can see people trying to get away with this type of error/sneakiness in some players who will try to take advantage like that and it will be something to watch for. I have played lots of different games and seen cheating passed off as just a mistake. Maybe I am a little cynical but I know gamers and I know they will try to get something passed the GM.
Having said all that, I think it will be easier to spot "errors" and here is my example of my sample character:

Miss Manners:Street name (Mega Maria: alter ego name)
SuperStrength(Power) (Trait: Seeks Fairness)(Trait: Seeks Truthiness) (Trait: Protects all Equally)
My 3 abilities: Observant (Ability), Popular (Ability), Smart (Ability)
My 1 Mark: Alter Ego (Mark)
My 1 Weakness Tag (Slowness {Running etc)

Does this sound/seem like a good starting character? Critiques are acceptable.

Thanks,
Angelinco
Cool,
Your Weakness is missing an Arena Tag (we can assume its physical)
Also, assuming your Super Strength is Super and Physical, your character is still missing one Power Tag.
Kind of a cool character, why did you pick Super Strength and not something else (like Super Empathy or some kind of mind control)?
Hi,

I will think on how I want to fix the errors you pointed out on my sample character. That information your gave helps me understand the game system better. And Grit is a good idea in character creation. I'll add that to my sample character as well. I'll try to post my revision to the character later this week.

Thanks

Angelinco lol
Hi!
No big deal. Do you think it was written poorly that you made a mistake or do you have any suggestions to make it easier to understand?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff