Reply SCA Guild
Cloven Fruit / Cloved Fruit Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:47 am
Like most games, depending on where you travel you will find different pronunciations, different names, and different rules.

I was wondering - what are the 'rules' you play by where you live?

This mainly came up while talking to friends of mine in the SCA, and talking about Clinton.
I said I was going to bring cloven fruit, we started talking about it, and realized we'd each heard different rules and such.

Like - who gets to pull the clove out? Is it the reciever or ALWAYS the lady (if so, what do you do if there are two ladies? Or two lords?)

And there's even one set of rules I've heard, that changes it from a simple kissing game/meeting game ... to something more personal - boarderline vulgar. (I'd never play by those rules, and so as not to give a bad impression to any new members of the SCA, I'm refraining from posting those).

And there are other little things revolving around the tradition of the cloven fruit that seem to be different depending on where you are - or even what event you're at.

Here's how we played at an event I was at. (Mind you it was very very small, and just about everyone knew everyone, so that may be why rules were different?)

Reciever choses - unless the other feels uncomfortable with what the reciever has chosen.

Clove taken with hand = kiss on the hand
Clove taken with teeth = kiss on the lips
Clove taken out and dragged somewhere =
A) The giver follows the trail with their mouth
or
B) depending on the situation, it differed - such as, some people dragged it on their cheek, for a kiss on the cheek, other dragged it on their nose - and 'eskimo kissed'

But My friends and I have found different rules in different places

So how do YOU play?
(Also, if anyone's ever been to Clinton - and knows the general 'rules' - please post?)  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:16 am
I've never played, but I like your version better than the ones I've heard about. It can go from a simple kiss on the hand to "Your place or mine?"  

Indigo Project

Artimus_Twitch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:58 pm
I usually avoid cloven fruit like the plague.
I am not a very 'friendly' person, I usually never even give hugs.
So I dont even really understand the rules.
I usually tell the person offering it to me they are more likely to get punched then kissed if they insist on giveing it to me.

But from what I understand its what ever to two are comfertable with. Whether that be a kiss on the hand or cheek, or something a bit more intimate.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:59 am
When I've played, it's been basically:

the receiver always takes the clove

- with the hand, kiss on the hand
- with the mouth, kiss on the mouth
- if the receiver takes the clove and keeps it in their mouth, the giver is supposed to fish it out
- if a bite is taken out of the fruit, it's "your place, or mine?"

the last two are always optional, though, depending on comfort levels. I've had to say no to a few bites of the fruit before. Silly boys.

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:16 am
Okay - so here's how it was basically played at Clinton (mind you individuals had different rules they played by depending)

~ Ladies ALWAYS HAVE FIRST CHOICE - no matter if they're giver or reciever (so they present some body part to the Lord)
~ Lords ALWAYS have second choice - if the Lord feels uncomfortable with what the Lady has chosen, he may say 'My Lady - I appologise, but I can not do as you've asked, would you accept *insert offer* instead?' or some other wording of the same sentiment. (Mind you, I didn't have that happen at all)
~ It actually didn't matter what you took the clove out with, and it was always reciever who took the clove - although always Ladies first choice. It was what the Lady presented you with.

~ If there were two Lords or Ladies - it was reciever's first choice and giver's second choce.

~ last clove was an offer of bedwarming (but nothing beyond that unless it was stated or requested & accepted).

Again - changed from person to person, but those were the basic rules. And I was happy with that - it meant I wasn't expected to do more then I felt comfortable with. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:12 pm
I've never played, only because when I WENT to revels all the time, I was A) too young and B) In a corner somewhere sleeping.

BUT! Now I DO know how to play.. so if ever I go to another revel... *cough* or a SCA thing with cloven fruit, I'll know how to play. :3  

THE Great Mysterious inu

Shameless Exhibitionist

7,250 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • First step to fame 200

Jette Vala

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:43 pm
The way I always understood it, at faires and the like, the lady always has the choice of anatomy to be kissed, and it's polite to accept the fruit no matter if you want to or not. Retrieve the clove with your fingers, it's a kiss on the hand, and with your teeth, then she has the option of presenting her cheek or her lips, or taking it a step further and using the clove as a tonsil hockey puck.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:33 pm
Interesting piece of history I learned this weekend from Mistress Alizonde.
Apparently, she made the first cloved lemon. It was a party game for a solstice party, which wasn't an SCA event, but as it was SCAdians holding the party, all their friends were in the SCA.
"Cloved lemon" was meant to be a dirty joke based off of "clove leman", leman being an obsure word for lover, who would be "cloven" when, well, she was young and thought it was funny.
Originally, the game worked something like this. People would stand in a circle, one holding the cloved lemon. They would sing a silly little song,
"Cloved lemon, cloved lemon
Who's got it? Who cares!
Whoever's got it kisses who they want to
(slight pause) That's different."
and throw the lemon to someone else, dash to the center, and kiss them.
The song didn't make it until the end of the party.

The earlist fruit that was cloven at all were in the victorian era, as soon as oranges were cheap enough to buy more than one might eat. Old, drying out, not moldy, fruit, usually oranges and lemons, would be stuck with cloves in an interesting pattern. This would then be shut in a closet as an air freshener.

I only mention this because Trish Telselco has apparently put the cloven lemon in a book on medevil magic as a traditional love spell.
When mistress Alizonde found this out, she was mortified.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:38 am
Pluck the clove with one's fingers, it's a kiss on the hand.
Pluck the clove with one's lips or teeth, it's a kiss on the mouth.
Keep the plucked clove in your mouth, it's a deep kiss.
Swallow the clove, or otherwise dispose of it, it's a sexual advance.

The person presented with the fruit has the choice of how to pluck. Both parties may say "No thank you" at any time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:46 pm
Receiver choses - unless the other feels uncomfortable with what the receiver has chosen.

Clove taken with hand = kiss on the hand
Clove taken with teeth = kiss on the lips
Clove taken out and dragged somewhere =
A) The giver follows the trail with their mouth
or
B) depending on the situation, it differed - such as, some people dragged it on their cheek, for a kiss on the cheek, other dragged it on their nose - and 'eskimo kissed'
is how i've played it

kirby_8934

Dapper Genius

6,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Neko_Bast rolled 1 10-sided dice: 1 Total: 1 (1-10)

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:52 pm
Looks like most people play the same. In my shire it is:
Take by hand = kiss on the hand
Take by mouth = kiss on the mouth (keep in mouth is a deep kiss)
If your offered the last clove its an invite to bed as a bedwarmer or somthing more depending on the person. I've had to turn down few of those. ^-^  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:07 pm
You gave up the fight
You left me behind
All that’s done’s Forgiven
Heh. I actually spent an hour or so talking with my sister about this, and these are the rules she told me from when she used to play.

Remove clove with fingers, palm down: Kiss on the hand
Remove clove with fingers, palm up: Kiss on the wrist, which implies intimacy
Remove clove with lips, and turn to the side: Kiss on the cheek
Remove clove with lips, tuck in cheek: Ehh... tonsil hockey

Some less conventional rules she told me about are...

If presented with the fruit with the last clove in it, it's an invitation for not so innocent bedwarming
If presented with the fruit, and the reciever takes it, bites it, see above
If presented with the fruit, and the reciever takes it, rolls it back to the gifter, and turns their back, it's kind of a "Drop Dead" answer.

Of course those are from when she played when she was a teenager, and she's now in her mid twenties, so the rules have probably changed.
You’ll always be mine
I know deep inside
All that’s done’s Forgiven

Spasms

Invisible Gawker

Tchipakkan

10,950 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:02 pm
So glad to see the true story posted by Kittywitch.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 am
Spasms
If presented with the fruit, and the reciever takes it, rolls it back to the gifter, and turns their back, it's kind of a "Drop Dead" answer.

Oooooh... I've only ever HEARD of that. That's considered BEYOND rude here. I mean, of course anyone can say 'no' or decline at any time, but to drop it on the ground, or roll it back to the person offering .... that's EXTREMELY disrespectful & just generally mean. confused 3nodding  

Naito_Mitsukai

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:09 pm
I find myself sitting at bardic circle when the cloven fruit comes out elsewhere. *shrug* Different cups of tea I suppose.

As far as what Spasms wrote, I agree that that's too rude for use in the SCA. We're all supposed to be lords and ladies in word and action, not uncouth or insulting. A polite but firm "No thank you" dressed up in whatever SCAdian lingo one wishes to use is more than enough.

Granted, if the "lord" doesn't take the hint, then all bets are off.

SCA Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff