Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply Help/Resources
How to Draw

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Can you draw?
  Yes! I am a master artiste!
  Sort of.....
  I can draw flies. :o
View Results

Azam Susa

Self-sustaining Present

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:40 am
I've decided that I want to really learn how to draw. Drawing clothes on premade doll bases is all well and good but it doesn't leave much room for flexibility. I'd like to be able to draw my own poses, shapes, faces, etc. I took some art classes about 10 years ago. >.>;; I did pretty well at it then but I didn't keep up with it. And I never learned how to draw proper anatomy. Like this kind of thing I guess?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

So does anyone have any advice or good resources for me to learn? By the way I'm interested in realistic drawing, not anime style. And I can't really afford to take classes. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:14 pm
look into local art academies. there was one down the street from my high school that had a nude figure drawing non-instructional class. you might find something there.
also, look at local college professors. come on in after a class or something and ask them for assistance. i'm sure they'd be willing to help you out for alittle bit.
look at alot of art. i suggest deviantart.com but theres probably other sites to find. on DA, some people post tutorials on how to draw or do certain types of art. you might want to check these out. alot of them are very useful.  

xcyberxnightx

ieatwood

Distinct Rogue

8,500 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:46 am
User Image

look at photographs, study people around you, try to get an image in your head of how people are really put together. if your in highschool, draw in class and use your classmates as reference. you can look through magazines or catalogs (ive used victoria secret before) for reference photos. just try to get the arrangement in your head of how people are arranged.

when drawing, proportion-wise, someone is usually 8 heads tall. (head refering to the size you're using for the head in this particular drawing, use that as a measurement for the rest.) from fingertip to fingertip is the same length as the height of a person, the arms and legs are the same length. if you notice, ones fingertips comes to about the bottom of the a**.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:33 am
Thanks for the tips. 3nodding heart  

Azam Susa

Self-sustaining Present

swagtastic_em

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:26 pm
i know how to draw  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:58 pm
I should say this to help out anyone else who wants to learn how to draw.
Get the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.
I never thought my drawing would improve so much by doing the exercises in that book. X333

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

ieatwood

Distinct Rogue

8,500 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:41 am
Szen
I never thought my drawing would improve so much by doing the exercises in that book. X333

your arts been looking fabulous o: <3;  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:29 pm
ieatwood
Szen

your arts been looking fabulous o: <3;
Thank you. X3 <333  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

banner3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:34 pm
practice shading & sketching in pencil. especially the things around you. it can be nature. even a table. anything. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:17 pm
i dont really cear for judging art as long as u r confortable with the way u draw in yor own way then its beautiful to me  

Nel102

Raven_Tatsuko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:57 pm
Study any kind of anatomy books you can. It will help you be the most accurate in drawing people proportionately.

Also go somewhere you always go and draw something from there. Like if you like going to the library, sit down and draw a bunch of books stacked together. Just draw as much as you can. It WILL help.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:22 am
socceremy18
i know how to draw
Congratulations.

utopia planitia

Help/Resources

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items