Submit

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:08 pm
I dunno about you, but I get a real thrill when I see my favorite hobby mentioned in books, webcomics, songs, newspapers, etc.

Here's a place to note where you saw us being referenced!

I'll try to hunt down the comics I saw us in, but the authors who come immediately to mind are: Mercedes Lackey (I'm very sorry that she quit playing, but I do understand), Robert Heinlein, and Christopher Stasheff (he's less well-known, but I think any sci-fi/fantasy fans out there would get a real kick out of his stuff... The Warlock In Spite of Himself is the first one).  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:56 pm
Llelwyn
I dunno about you, but I get a real thrill when I see my favorite hobby mentioned in books, webcomics, songs, newspapers, etc.

I'll try to hunt down the comics I saw us in, but the authors who come immediately to mind are: Mercedes Lackey (I'm very sorry that she quit playing, but I do understand), Robert Heinlein, and Christopher Stasheff (he's less well-known, but I think any sci-fi/fantasy fans out there would get a real kick out of his stuff... The Warlock In Spite of Himself is the first one).

Wow. Mercedes Lackey was a SCAdian? Cool! Not that I should be surprised by that... but still. I didn't know. Awesome. Gaidin32 just recently lent me Bedlam's Bard, which mentions the SCA in it. smile  

Imzy
Crew

Arithrel
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:48 pm
I was in a newspaper article about the SCA about a year back. They came to our rapier practice and took pictures of myself and two of my instructors, and wrote a big article on the SCA. I'll see if I can find it online somewhere still. I know it was up on the website.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:51 pm
Imzy
Llelwyn

Wow. Mercedes Lackey was a SCAdian? Cool! Not that I should be surprised by that... but still. I didn't know. Awesome. Gaidin32 just recently lent me Bedlam's Bard, which mentions the SCA in it. smile
She was one of the founding members. 3nodding

This free local newspaper ran a picture on the front page... but that was it. No article... and the blurb was a bit incorrect. sweatdrop  

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:00 pm
oooh ooh! if anyone's familiar with the Onion (a satirical "news" paper), they did a front page artical about how the SCA was taking over the government or some such silliness, and it had a bunch of my friends from my shire in the big picture, all in armor, ready to attack. it was hillarious!  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:25 am
littlegreengirl
oooh ooh! if anyone's familiar with the Onion (a satirical "news" paper), they did a front page artical about how the SCA was taking over the government or some such silliness, and it had a bunch of my friends from my shire in the big picture, all in armor, ready to attack. it was hillarious!

Hee! I remember seeing that! It was, like, the Barony of Jararvellir conquering Russia or something.  

Imzy
Crew

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:03 am
Imzy
littlegreengirl

Hee! I remember seeing that! It was, like, the Barony of Jararvellir conquering Russia or something.
YES! http://slavic.freeservers.com/onion/onion.html There! It's hilarious.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:00 pm
Quote:
"Weakened by food shortages, political instability and widespread economic chaos, our military's combined forces proved no match for the enemy's rattan-and-duct-tape broadswords and homemade weaponry," said deposed Russian president Boris Yeltsin during a national radio address in which he relinquished rulership to the "Principality Of The Mists," one of several dozen SCA "kingdoms."

As a member of the principality of the Mists I find this extremely humorous.  

Faeyas

6,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Imzy
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:43 pm
Faeyas
Quote:
"Weakened by food shortages, political instability and widespread economic chaos, our military's combined forces proved no match for the enemy's rattan-and-duct-tape broadswords and homemade weaponry," said deposed Russian president Boris Yeltsin during a national radio address in which he relinquished rulership to the "Principality Of The Mists," one of several dozen SCA "kingdoms."

As a member of the principality of the Mists I find this extremely humorous.

*chuckles and shakes her head, tsking* Silly mundanes. If it's a Principality, it's not a kingdom. And "several dozen"? There's only, what, 19, now, right? Which reminds me.... I think I need to make a correction to the SCA Kingdom links thread, but the SCA website didn't have the newest kingdom listed yet. What's the new Kingdom that broke of from (I think) Meridies? Anyone have any info on that?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:33 pm
Ahh, man. That's one thing I miss about not living in Milwaukee anymore. They have free newsaper boxes of the Onion all over downtown. It was always great for a laugh. And that's one of the funniest articles I've seen since the classic 'Area Stoner Reports: Giant Bacon Sandwich Headed Towards Earth'.
mrgreen  

GaijinGuy36

8,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Red Zomby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:26 am
I just recently got the local news to do a segment on the SCA.
I got a call from 4 people who were very interested.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:28 pm
A demo/college that we held this past weekend was mentioned in our local paper. We haven't seen the article yet but a photographer came by and took names and pictures... hoping it was a good one. *goes to look it up at the website*  

Tangentia

Tangentia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:47 pm
Well, I found the blurb they ran on Friday.

Quote:
Knights Road Show scheduled at UCC

September 30, 2005

WINCHESTER: Jousting, medieval garb, belly dancing and more will be showcased at the Gryphon's College & Knights Road Show Saturday and Sunday.

The event is being organized by the Society for Creative Anachronism, a worldwide organization of people interested in the Middle Ages. According to the SCA Web site, the show will run from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday at Umpqua Community College. Signs will be erected, informing visitors where to go.

The gate fee is $8 for members and $11 for non-members. There is also a small fee for those wanting to take classes in everything from calligraphy and tent making to chivalry and etiquette.

On Sunday, fighting techniques will be demonstrated throughout the day. Gate fees will not be charged to people who want to watch only, rather than participate in the various activities. SCA members will be on hand to answer questions.

I don't know WHERE they got the idea from that there would be jousting. *sigh* It's more exposure than we've had in a long time though.

Also, someone from the neighboring Barony of Adiantum managed to get one of the sports casters from the news to come out and swing some rattan. And there's video of it online!

1. http://www.kmtr.com/mediacenter/
2. Change the 'category' drop down box to 'I Dare Dave' and search for 'sword fight'.

Still searching for the second article about our demo...  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:50 pm
It's not exactly SCA. But my group, MSR, is having it's St. Valetine's Day Revel event filmed for a some sort of TV crew. The event isn't until Feb 4th. When it comes out I will post a link or something. 3nodding  

Valynn

1,100 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Orzhov dark scion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:09 am
Llelwyn

I know of none of then, sorry.  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces