Fiction? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KeeperofShadows

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:13 pm
Krimson Kandy
I really like Queen of the Damned. Its an Anne Rice book about vampires. But this one has a good portion taking place in ancient Egypt. I think it is pretty accurate too. But reading Interview with the Vampire might be a good prequisite.

I read this book, and while it was interesting and accurate in some respects, Rice does twist a lot of facts so they make sense in her vampire theory.

My suggestion is Memoirs of Cleopatra, a historical fiction by Margaret George. This book is wonderfully accurate for the time period it portrays.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:55 pm
I read "Nefertiti" by Michelle Moran and it's a good Egypt-centric novel, I liked that many of the characters came alive. I'd suggest to make a note to look at the afterword (i think it is) where she had a disclaimer and notes where she added fiction to fact and whatnot like how the Egyptians didn't call the city Akhetaton "tel- Armana".. its modern/Arabic name rolleyes XP

This other book called "Nefetiti:The Book of the Dead" by Nick Drake looks interesteg as well for a similar sort of book in the same category of fiction/Armana period.  

bluerain202

Sparkly Prophet

Rennie`
Captain

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:45 am
bluerain202
I read "Nefertiti" by Michelle Moran and it's a good Egypt-centric novel, I liked that many of the characters came alive. I'd suggest to make a note to look at the afterword (i think it is) where she had a disclaimer and notes where she added fiction to fact and whatnot like how the Egyptians didn't call the city Akhetaton "tel- Armana".. its modern/Arabic name rolleyes XP
Are you stalking me? I'm half way into that book :O  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:10 pm
Rennie`
bluerain202

maybe... nah j/k
Do you like it so far? And how do you like how she potrays the characters?
I really loved the book because it brought be back to Egypt ^_^  

bluerain202

Sparkly Prophet

Rennie`
Captain

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:55 am
bluerain202
Rennie`
bluerain202

maybe... nah j/k
Do you like it so far? And how do you like how she potrays the characters?
I really loved the book because it brought be back to Egypt ^_^
I can really sense the jealousy, the fact that Amenhotep is with Kiya and Nefertiti.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:44 pm
Aurigae
Oh yes!

'River God' by Wilbur Smith is one of the best novels based on ancient egypt you can read!

'Warlock' by Wilbur Smith is another good one, though it's a bit iffy...

And there's another really good one. I can't remember it but it was written in the 1900's and it's based on the pyramids and a queen. When I remember I'll post it, because it's an AWESOME book. 3nodding

Agree'd!

River God is just the BEST! Ancient history fiction book you can read!

I've got a few more based on Ancient egypt but i haven't read them yet so i'll keep you posted.

Reading Warlock right now, and the Quest shall follow that =3  

Charlock_McCloud

Chai Senpai

Shameless Streaker

29,865 Points
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:03 pm
Kibz Kibz Kibz
Aurigae
Oh yes!

'River God' by Wilbur Smith is one of the best novels based on ancient egypt you can read!

And there's another really good one. I can't remember it but it was written in the 1900's and it's based on the pyramids and a queen. When I remember I'll post it, because it's an AWESOME book. 3nodding

Agree'd!

I've got a few more based on Ancient egypt but i haven't read them yet so i'll keep you posted.

OMG I absolutely LOVE Wilbur Smith's Egyptian Series. River God was the best though I don't like Lostris- I usually do not like female characters (I'm weird like that. xp ) But my favorite is the Quest. SOO good- I've read it a total of 3 times so far. ^^

Another book I liked was "Reflections in the Nile" by J. Suzanne Frank. It's alright- one of the better Egyptian books I read, and I tend to be picky.

I've heard of Michelle Moran- she got an absolutely scathing review in the latest issue of Kmt: A Modern Journal of Ancient Egypt. I picked that up at Barnes and Nobles. Unfortuneately, I left it at work. But at the back of the magizine they do reviews of books-fiction and non-fiction.

I can give you guys the quick summary from what I remember.
For Michelle Moran, her book, "The Heretic Queen" is about Nefertari, and the review was funny and scathing at the same time. It was referred to as a "flat, juvenile saga of Dueling Bimbos" and also pointed out Moran's inaccuracies. I don't remember what all they were, but a few that come to mind: Nefertari wears fur-lined sandals in winter, thinks "deben" is money rather than a unit of weight, and the attack by Sherdan pirates on pharaoh's fleet at Kadesh. Tricky, though, cuz Kadesh is about 100 miles inland.

Pauline Gedge (?) has 2 books under review. One was "Seer of Egypt" and I can't remember the other one. sweatdrop It was a mixed review; overall, not bad but not impressive, either. Readers were advised to stick to her earlier works because they were more engaging.

The last book was "Re Rising", first of the Lords of the Two Lands series by ? Dowell? (not too sure- sorry, going off the top of my head here). I'm just dying to get my hands on this book. It deals with Hatshepsut, Sennenmut, and Thutmosis. It was praised for being spon-on with historical and cultural accuracy, the plot is engaging and moving, and the characters are well developed and intruguing. One thing that is very interesting is the approach to names. Scholars translate Egyptian names differently; for example, there's Thutmose, Thutmosis, Tuhtmos (?)- there were a couple of different ways to spell that name. Anyway, this author chose to portray the names in direct Egyptian-to-English translation. They're presented as the ancient Egyptians would have heard and understood them, to give it a more authentic feel. Like Thutmose translates to "Son of Re, born of Djehuty..." (or something like that ...can't really remember... sweatdrop )

The review said this book was not for those looking for an easy read. It's more suited to "sophisticated" readers. I'm all for historical accuracy and a challenging book, so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this one.

Oh, I should mention- this book contains violence and sex and is um not for ickle kiddies.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:10 pm
Nara_Neji_02
Kibz Kibz Kibz
Aurigae
Oh yes!

Agree'd!

OMG I absolutely LOVE Wilbur Smith's Egyptian Series. River God was the best though I don't like Lostris- I usually do not like female characters (I'm weird like that. xp ) But my favorite is the Quest. SOO good- I've read it a total of 3 times so far. ^^

Another book I liked was "Reflections in the Nile" by J. Suzanne Frank. It's alright- one of the better Egyptian books I read, and I tend to be picky.

I've heard of Michelle Moran- she got an absolutely scathing review in the latest issue of Kmt: A Modern Journal of Ancient Egypt. I picked that up at Barnes and Nobles. Unfortuneately, I left it at work. But at the back of the magizine they do reviews of books-fiction and non-fiction.

I can give you guys the quick summary from what I remember.
For Michelle Moran, her book, "The Heretic Queen" is about Nefertari, and the review was funny and scathing at the same time. It was referred to as a "flat, juvenile saga of Dueling Bimbos" and also pointed out Moran's inaccuracies. I don't remember what all they were, but a few that come to mind: Nefertari wears fur-lined sandals in winter, thinks "deben" is money rather than a unit of weight, and the attack by Sherdan pirates on pharaoh's fleet at Kadesh. Tricky, though, cuz Kadesh is about 100 miles inland.

Pauline Gedge (?) has 2 books under review. One was "Seer of Egypt" and I can't remember the other one. sweatdrop It was a mixed review; overall, not bad but not impressive, either. Readers were advised to stick to her earlier works because they were more engaging.

The last book was "Re Rising", first of the Lords of the Two Lands series by ? Dowell? (not too sure- sorry, going off the top of my head here). I'm just dying to get my hands on this book. It deals with Hatshepsut, Sennenmut, and Thutmosis. It was praised for being spon-on with historical and cultural accuracy, the plot is engaging and moving, and the characters are well developed and intruguing. One thing that is very interesting is the approach to names. Scholars translate Egyptian names differently; for example, there's Thutmose, Thutmosis, Tuhtmos (?)- there were a couple of different ways to spell that name. Anyway, this author chose to portray the names in direct Egyptian-to-English translation. They're presented as the ancient Egyptians would have heard and understood them, to give it a more authentic feel. Like Thutmose translates to "Son of Re, born of Djehuty..." (or something like that ...can't really remember... sweatdrop )

The review said this book was not for those looking for an easy read. It's more suited to "sophisticated" readers. I'm all for historical accuracy and a challenging book, so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this one.

Oh, I should mention- this book contains violence and sex and is um not for ickle kiddies.

yeah Lostris is iffy but how was Fenn in the Quest?
Im about 250 pages into the Quest and so far i'm loving it!
Warlock was abit iffy for me but the Quest is definitely keeping me happy, I'll be so sad to finish though! gonk  

Charlock_McCloud

Chai Senpai

Shameless Streaker

29,865 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:37 pm
I loved Warlock, but that's cuz I had a crush on Nefer. xd

The Quest is SOO good. I had a few face palm moments while reading it, but its definately my favorite of the 3. I like it enough to re-read it 3 times so far. What part are you at? (you can PM me if you want, or just ignore the question) All I'll say is it gets better and better- typical of Wilbur Smith, he's sucha good writer! and you so won't know what to expect!  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:02 am
Kibz Kibz Kibz
Fenn is basically Lostris. She was named as Fenn when she was born but as she matured (and at the start of River God) she becomes Lostris. I still don't know if that was true in Ancient Egypt.

I enjoyed River God and Warlock, The Quest got too long for me, and weird. I think I'm about a quarter of the way through, it's when Fenn comes into the picture and she changes from a dirsty African girl into the beautiful and intelligent girl that Fenn/Lostris once was.  

Rennie`
Captain

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Chai Senpai

Shameless Streaker

29,865 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:02 pm
Rennie`
Kibz Kibz Kibz
Fenn is basically Lostris. She was named as Fenn when she was born but as she matured (and at the start of River God) she becomes Lostris. I still don't know if that was true in Ancient Egypt.

I enjoyed River God and Warlock, The Quest got too long for me, and weird. I think I'm about a quarter of the way through, it's when Fenn comes into the picture and she changes from a dirsty African girl into the beautiful and intelligent girl that Fenn/Lostris once was.

Fenn was her baby name? I thought it was Lananta, and Tanis named his bow after her. (I could be wrong, though). I didn't like Lostris, but then I usually don't like female characters. I liked Fenn in Quest, though. but yeah, it did get weird and kind of un-Egyptian, but then they really weren't in Egypt I liked Mintaka in Warlock, but in Quest...*face palm*  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:02 pm
I just got started with The Book of the Dead by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (thanks to the classics and letters department trying to dump extra stuff before they change buildings.) I've read a few of their books before. Pretty thrilling stuff.

What strikes me as the most interesting facet in character development so far is that the Egyptologist is drop-dead gorgeous and hitting on the (married) female protagonist. Don't see that every day. xd  

Nevira Shadowfire

Intergalactic Reveler

The Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas