Reply The Lounge
Fiction? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vittoria della Notte

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:38 pm
I really love reading books dealing with historical fiction (think Da Vinci Code/Angels and Demons) and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of books that are really good? It's just that I have NOTHING to read until the seventh Harry Potter book comes out (yes, yes point at the nerd) and I've already re-read the the previous six in advanced (again, nerd alert) so something dealing with Ancient Egypt, Medieval Europe,etc would be greatly appreciated both by me and my Harry Potter addiction. (Although mostly Ancient Egyptian books would be perfect...)

Thanks!! heart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:19 pm
Oh yes!

'River God' by Wilbur Smith is one of the best novels based on ancient egypt you can read!

'Warlock' by Wilbur Smith is another good one, though it's a bit iffy...

And there's another really good one. I can't remember it but it was written in the 1900's and it's based on the pyramids and a queen. When I remember I'll post it, because it's an AWESOME book. 3nodding  

Aurigae

Krimson Kandy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:25 pm
I really like Queen of the Damned. Its an Anne Rice book about vampires. But this one has a good portion taking place in ancient Egypt. I think it is pretty accurate too. But reading Interview with the Vampire might be a good prequisite.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:50 pm
Yay! Thanks so much! I go through books like TP though, so more suggestions are much appreciated.  

Vittoria della Notte

Kani Jalo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:37 pm
This is what I get for not writing down the books I read - can't suggest them to people later. xp

The only fictional book in regards to Egypt that I know off of the top of my head is The Egypt Game... Read it in third grade, though, so... Yeah.

Seven Deadly Wonders was also really freaking good, but I don't remember who the author was... (And this on I only read a month ago. sweatdrop )

I'll edit this post if I find/think of any others...  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:41 pm
Haha thanks!  

Vittoria della Notte

Vittoria della Notte

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:53 am
No one else has any suggestions?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:39 pm
Damn... I've read more books than I can remember and I can't think of any that were related to ancient Egypt!

However, being that you're into Harry Potter, check out the author Stephanie Meyer. Her debut novel, Twilight, is very interesting as is its sequel. It's not historical fiction in any way, but it's a good read nonetheless. Also, the series Wicked (no, not the one that's a play) is EPIC and I'm personally PEEVED that they haven't completed the next chunk of the series--I'm completely cracked out on it...

Um, let's see... OH! Speaking of plays, the author of Wicked, Gregory Maguire, actually works history into his twisted fairy tales. You might enjoy it. Especially pay attention to Mirror Mirror, his version of Snow White. There are references to actual historical figures as main characters. Also, Confessions of An Ugly Stepsister includes some stuff about the Medici's... Actually, there's a blurble about them in Mirror Mirror as well...

Geez, I ramble. If I think of anything else, I will edit. I too go through books as though they were TP or water or candy...

Hellenistic Wisdom

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:04 am
You might also want to check out this thread: http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=8355643

We've been discussing Egyptian themed books there. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:51 am
Very cool Thanks!  

Vittoria della Notte

Nevira Shadowfire

Intergalactic Reveler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:39 pm
I don't remember any off the top of my head about Egypt except the Amelia Peabody Mystery series by Elizabeth Peters...

...but there's a trilogy kinda-sorta inspired by ancient Egypt by Mercedes Lackey that I like. I don't remember the name of the trilogy itself, but the first book is Joust, followed by Alta and then Sanctuary. If you're a dragon fan, then I'd recommend checking it out. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:42 pm
Krimson Kandy
I really like Queen of the Damned. Its an Anne Rice book about vampires. But this one has a good portion taking place in ancient Egypt. I think it is pretty accurate too. But reading Interview with the Vampire might be a good prequisite.
You'd definately need to read The Vampire Lestat first, because Queen of the Damned is essentially the second part of that story.

But they're both amazing. Not even similar to the moive, just so you know.

If you like horror or creepy stories, you should look into H.P. Lovecraft. He wrote short stories, a handful of them were based on Ancient Egypitan gods or cities, and he was an AMAZING writer!  

Spiral Out

SilentShadowDreamer

Omnipresent Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:11 pm
City of the Dead is an interesting set of short stories, some of which are based around Ancient Egypt.
Hmm, what else...There's another set of short stories whose title I can't remember that dealt with a lot of mysteries set in various historical times. If it comes back to me, I'll let you know.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:42 am
ehi...there is RAMSES,of Christian Jacq...he's an egyptologist,he wrote this saga and another maybe about Khufu...  

sopdet

Shadow__Dweller

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:04 pm
Paul Doherty writes historical murder mysteries and he has a whole series of Egyptian ones. Maybe give them a go?
I've just finished reading one called Nefertiti: the book of the dead by Nick Drake, which is a mystery about the dissapearance of Nefertiti. It's quite good, as he's used an actual historical event to create the fiction.
You might also want to try Elizabeth Peters. She's wrote lots of Egyptian murder mysteries which star a female detective/archeologist set in the Victorian era. They are very funny xp  
The Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff