Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Should we fear Death? (opinion) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Promise to only state your opinion, no arguements?
  yeah. =)
View Results

Pixelated Awesome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:46 pm
Throughout history, mankind has feared the dead. Many have said things along the lines of "...the legion of the undead attacking" and whatnot. People are afraid of the paranormal, afraid to die even.

What is so scary? Am I the only one these days who is like.."So, we all die eventually... should I fear something I know will eventually happen?" I KNOW i'm not, because I have proof, and faith that many of you feel the same way. Being afraid of death, is unnatural. Why? Because Death is part of the cycle we all live in. Whether we return to the plain of life, or whether we move on to somewhere else, it doesn't matter. People are afraid of the darkness that death brings. They are afraid some kind of demon will carry them away, and whatnot. Some don't accept it, when their time has arrived. I believe, that if a soul does not accept death, and has a strong connection to life, or unfinished business, they stay. Then, they are stuck. They can't leave, even if they finished their business. Their decision is final.

Want proof that other cultures agree too? Part of "Bushido", or "The way of the Warrior", Is to be trained to accept death. It may come at anytime, or anyplace. That does not mean to be paranoid. It means to train your mind to live every day like it was your last, and live life to its fullest; For it can end anytime. Death makes it's own choices.

Many different Pagan religions had believed that Death was a cause for celebration, as it showed the end of the cycle, about to begin again. They knew that the cycle of life was being brought up again.

Even Christianity seems to embrace it; TO A POINT. The most celebrated of moments, in that religion, is the death, and rebirth of Jesus. When Jesus died, many mourned, but weren't unaccepting; because he said he was coming back. They accepted his death, before he came back, later.

Death should be accepted as something that is almost too natural. The paranormal should be viewed as souls that refused to die, and were afraid. Darkness should be viewed as something that comes after dusk, and before sunrise, and nothing more. That's my view. So, the reason for the topic is:

State YOUR opinion.

DON'T ARGUE. This is purely a STATEMENT thread. My goal is to view all of the members opinions, one statement at a time, and review it for contemplation. I want to know everyone's view, but I don't want to start an arguement. If I get ONE statement from everyone at this guild, I will be extremely happy.

Members that Posted their Opinions: 32 // 4741 Members
EXCELLENT! KEEP 'EM COMING!  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:57 pm
I admit, I fear death, it happens to be one of my biggest fears. But I really don't think there is a reason to fear it since it does come to all of us one day. It will just make you look over your shoulder a little too much and miss out on the better times.  

RedRosez

The Goth Apple

Dapper Dabbler

14,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:58 pm
I heard an excellent theory of why death is feared the other day. In essense, it works like this.

A millioniare randomly meets you and tells you that they want to send you on a trip across the world. They will pay for everything, and you can go anywhere you want and do anything you want. He will pay for all of your expensies, buy you anything you might need, and things you won't need but will like anyway. The only things he requires of you is that you leave now, with only the clothes on your back, take nothing with you, finish no projects, and tell no one where you are going. The question is, do you accept?

Most people don't want to go with those conditions, and that's why we fear death.

My personal opinion is that death is fine so long as it's happening to you. Once you're dead, the worse thing you could say is, "Dang, I meant to do this first..."
But when you're left behind, it kinda sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:00 pm
The Goth Apple
I heard an excellent theory of why death is feared the other day. In essense, it works like this.

A millioniare randomly meets you and tells you that they want to send you on a trip across the world. They will pay for everything, and you can go anywhere you want and do anything you want. He will pay for all of your expensies, buy you anything you might need, and things you won't need but will like anyway. The only things he requires of you is that you leave now, with only the clothes on your back, take nothing with you, finish no projects, and tell no one where you are going. The question is, do you accept?

Most people don't want to go with those conditions, and that's why we fear death.

That actually makes sense 3nodding You haven't finished all of what you have wanted to accomplish in life and you would have left others behind that you were not ready to leave, which I really don't think there is ever a point in someone's life where they are really ready for that.  

RedRosez

DarkPhsycotic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:07 pm
Well, the way I look at it (this may sound emo, but whatever) is that once you're dead, you have nothing left to fear, no unfortunate turns in life, and no pain or tragic moments. Its like, a life with perfection.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:57 pm
life is life. Death is death. You can cope with either and hate the other. But if you understand both, you don't have to cope at all. I found out what death and life was on a new scale. Most people never figure out what it is, I know, because the one who showed me told me. I've put a gun to my head, a knife to my throat, I have bruises all up and down my chest from battling the demons within.

My words on death are this, Don't end what you don't understand. Don't begin what you cannot behold. No human can look me in the eyes and tell him he can behold what is beyond the doors of life, because even I cannot, and it is not for humans to behold at all. Life. Death. It's all the same. Nothing to fear, I guess it's okay to tell you that. It's not too different from life if you play your cards right.  

-_-BreakxMexAgain-_-

hybrid_13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:06 pm
I am not afraid of death, it is part of life's cycle, just as you have said. It seams rather silly when people say they are afraid of dying alone for we all die alone, just as we all live alone.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:48 pm
The only thing I have to fear is if I affected anyone so much that it would tear them if I died... that's how I felt when my Dad passed, and I know he didn't want me to feel that way.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

[~Even-in-Death~]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:07 pm
Personally, I do not fear death. Heck, my name is "[~Even-in-Death~]" which says that I beleive in life after death. I have nothing against people who are very religious but I do not believe that there is heaven and hell after life. I have done somethings in my life that I am ashamed of and can hardly think of without wanting to die, but I am not afraid of hell because I do not believe in it. True I believe that Satan tries to steer people in the wrong direction of life and I believe that the is an omnipotent being, God, but I am not afraid to die. The only part of death that I come even close to fearing is the pain. Which leads me back to, if you wish death onto yourself, how can you fear it?

Which brings me to my second point. There are many times when I wonder, "What happens when we die? What does it feel like to die? Is my theory of reincarnation true? If not, what happens? Do we simply just exist as translucent beings?" Just trying to sort that out in my head gives me a migrane but I can tell you that there is no reason to fear death. What we are actually fearing when people claim that they fear death is the unknown. We don't know what it feels like to die. And what does that do? It scares people. It scares them because they don't like the idea that they do not control every aspect of their lives. It scares them because they don't know what it will feel like to die. It scares them because they don't know a single thing about it. Fearing death is stupid. Fearing death is pointless. Fearing death to me is the same as the people from the Dark Ages fearing fire to you. It's pointless.

[~Even-in-Death~]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:29 pm
To me death is the end of this incarnation, and mearly a new begining into something different. That is what I view my own death to be at some point in time. I don't fear death so much as I do not wish to meet with death at this time. I have too much I wish to accompish yet within my lifetime, so I think I would still have lingering attachments if I were to pass on so soon.

I view death as mutable though depending on your paradigm. If you believe in heaven and hell then you are subject to all the rules that apply. Keep the general idea and priciple and apply it to each religion.

Death is neutral. I miss those that have departed from this mortal coil, but I still can feel some residuals from when they were alive.

I think too many people fear death because they are uncertain of their own beliefs.  

lurichan
Vice Captain

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:08 am
I don't think it's unnatural to fear death. It may be a natural part of the cycle of existence, but none of us have gone through it yet, none (or at least very few) of us can ask the dead about it, and that means it's something we know very little about. And humans have an instinct to fear what they don't understand.

But I don't think it's unnatural not to fear death either. Another human instinct is to try to explain what we don't understand... through science, through religion, or through myth. If you feel you know nothing about death, or if your culture has come up with some horribly scary explanation of what it will do to you, you're likely to be afraid. But if you're taught that death is merciful, you're not likely to fear it.

Personally I don't fear the moment of death, or the thought of what's going to happen to me afterward. A life-long cycle of visions has hinted at where I will be going and who will be meeting me there, and in some ways I look forward to it. I don't tend to fear other peoples' deaths either, because I don't feel I'm actually 'losing' them.

What I do fear sometimes is the process of dying. I don't like the idea of lingering in some long, slow, undignified agony. I think a lot of people are more frightened of that than they are of death itself.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:22 am
There's a difference between not being afraid of death and not being ready for it.

I've heard death compared to sex, in that it is an intimacy with everyone who has gone before.
If that doesn't make you uncomfortable, I don't know what will.  

Lord Charlemain Richards

Thirteenth Lover

12,825 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Vintage 200

Devils_lilboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:25 am
~Alucard_The_Hellhound~
Throughout history, mankind has feared the dead. Many have said things along the lines of "...the legion of the undead attacking" and whatnot. People are afraid of the paranormal, afraid to die even.

What is so scary? Am I the only one these days who is like.."So, we all die eventually... should I fear something I know will eventually happen?" I KNOW i'm not, because I have proof, and faith that many of you feel the same way. Being afraid of death, is unnatural. Why? Because Death is part of the cycle we all live in. Whether we return to the plain of life, or whether we move on to somewhere else, it doesn't matter. People are afraid of the darkness that death brings. They are afraid some kind of demon will carry them away, and whatnot. Some don't accept it, when their time has arrived. I believe, that if a soul does not accept death, and has a strong connection to life, or unfinished business, they stay. Then, they are stuck. They can't leave, even if they finished their business. Their decision is final.

Want proof that other cultures agree too? Part of "Bushido", or "The way of the Warrior", Is to be trained to accept death. It may come at anytime, or anyplace. That does not mean to be paranoid. It means to train your mind to live every day like it was your last, and live life to its fullest; For it can end anytime. Death makes it's own choices.

Many different Pagan religions had believed that Death was a cause for celebration, as it showed the end of the cycle, about to begin again. They knew that the cycle of life was being brought up again.

Even Christianity seems to embrace it; TO A POINT. The most celebrated of moments, in that religion, is the death, and rebirth of Jesus. When Jesus died, many mourned, but weren't unaccepting; because he said he was coming back. They accepted his death, before he came back, later.

Death should be accepted as something that is almost too natural. The paranormal should be viewed as souls that refused to die, and were afraid. Darkness should be viewed as something that comes after dusk, and before sunrise, and nothing more. That's my view. So, the reason for the topic is:

State YOUR opinion.

DON'T ARGUE. This is purely a STATEMENT thread. My goal is to view all of the members opinions, one statement at a time, and review it for contemplation. I want to know everyone's view, but I don't want to start an arguement. If I get ONE statement from everyone at this guild, I will be extremely happy.

Members that Posted their Opinions: 3 // 4741 Members

I personally don't fear death....  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:36 am
We should not fear what we do not understand, for that is ignorance. Nor should be be arrogant to assume that there is nothing to fear of death.  

GilAskan
Crew

Scott Ritter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:28 am
I feel, and i think others are this way, that the fear is not in death but the pain of death and the pain you leave behind. Most of us here are intimately familiar with pain and how bad it is and we want to spare those we care for from sharing our pain. and of coarse most fear the expected pain of dieing  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff