Memorable events Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Imzy
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:08 pm
What was the most memorable event you've been to? What made it so special? Tell us all about it!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:15 pm
For me, this is an easy question. I've been to quite a few great events.... but the single most memorable, most incredible SCA experience I've ever had has got to be when I was fortunate enough to attend the Coronation of the first King and Queen of the new Kingdom of Northshield. OMFG, it was /amazing/, to see a new Kingdom being born right there before my eyes. The whole day was just incredible. It was like the SCA had taken over all of downtown Rochester, MN... everywhere you looked, you saw people in garb. Everywhere. And everyone was so excited, so full of joy and awe. Tears flowed freely during both the final court of the Prince and Princess, and the first court of the new King and Queen. The bardic circle lasted late into the night and it was just... wow. I don't even have the words to describe how incredible the bardic circle was. I'll never forget it.  

Imzy
Crew

Kitty Boi Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:26 pm
I believe one of my favorite stories comes from a Faire my aunt took me too, back when I was much younger, around 11 or 12, and (supposedly) much more naive. Anyway...My aunt was very excited, because the 'Fakespearian actors' Sound & Fury were going to be there. And she told me later, she got an awful pit in her stomach right at the beginning, because one of the actors came up and began the show with 'And we'd like to thank the city of Fair Oaks for letting us do the show the way WE want to do it.'

And the pit in her stomach grew as they proceded to act out 'Testecles and the Sack of Rome.' It's really a very funny story, but certainly not for children...and her one hope was that I wouldn't know what the jokes were about. Ha. Unlikely, of course...so now no one in the family will let her live it down; taking the 'baby' of the family to an adult comedy. Even now, many years later, no one let's her forget it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:57 am
The most memorable event that I've ever been to was probably the first ever coronet tourney for the Principality of Tir Righ. Same kind of thing like you, Imzy-I got to see a whole new branch being formed right before my eyes. The crowning point of it all for me (pun intended..heh) though was when I got asked to be a part of our first Princess' rapier guard. That was amazing.  

Arithrel
Crew

Faeyas

6,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:23 am
My First Outlandish (Big turnament, Big event, all of outlands yeah).

I was four. Well I always wore italian dresses, so where ever I was you knew I was a girl. Well, I was a MAJOR tomboy. And I REALLY wanted to play with the bows and arrows...only problem was the pretty bows and arrows I wanted to play with were being used the the archery turnament.

Of course rule one is that kids arn't really allowed around battle/turnament areas for saefty, and I really wanted to play with the bows, I was VERY bored helping my mom set up and get ready for the great feast, So I sought out the pretty bows and arrows.

Yeah, I mananged to delay the turnament for a small period of time because I was a kid asking to play with bows, and a girl kid to boot. and of course my mom was no where in sight.

Evetually my mother found me and I was in big trouble, but that was one of the most memerable experiances I have ever had in SCA.

Ever since I've been affectionatly dubbed anything from tom boy to the occasional "good sir"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:42 pm
Imzy
For me, this is an easy question. I've been to quite a few great events.... but the single most memorable, most incredible SCA experience I've ever had has got to be when I was fortunate enough to attend the Coronation of the first King and Queen of the new Kingdom of Northshield. OMFG, it was /amazing/, to see a new Kingdom being born right there before my eyes. The whole day was just incredible. It was like the SCA had taken over all of downtown Rochester, MN... everywhere you looked, you saw people in garb. Everywhere. And everyone was so excited, so full of joy and awe. Tears flowed freely during both the final court of the Prince and Princess, and the first court of the new King and Queen. The bardic circle lasted late into the night and it was just... wow. I don't even have the words to describe how incredible the bardic circle was. I'll never forget it.

I have to agree. especially since this is my kingdom, and i knew those being crowned (not well, but still...) it was absolutely amazing. also, i got to flip all of the banners representing the baronies and shires of Northshield, which were some of the first presents to the kingdom, so i got to really feel a part of it.  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Imzy
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:44 pm
littlegreengirl
Imzy

I have to agree. especially since this is my kingdom, and i knew those being crowned (not well, but still...) it was absolutely amazing.

*points to the bardic discussion thread* I wrote a song about it. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:46 pm
Imzy

*points to the bardic discussion thread* I wrote a song about it. smile

awe... yay!  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Courtesan Brigitte

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:18 pm
Caid's first Althing.

It was winter, desert, and the low was about 10 degrees. I didn't sleep I was so cold. The locals didn't let my household play their raindeer games. That aside, we had all kinds of fun by ourselves. We had three firepits, one of which was a porcelain privy-bowl. Great event...

[edit: I wrote that wrong. It wasn't a Kingom event, but a Baronial Althing. And one of the bits more interesting than the potty pit was when we found a full-grown Viking, sans breeches, with a wolf head up his arse.]  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:40 pm
Well, I'm hitting my first Crown tourny next weekend. I'll tell you how it goes.  

Your Night Surgeon

Arithrel
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:28 am
Well, I wasn't there, but I think that the most memorable event in my area recently would have to be our principality's coronet tourney.

First, some background info: In my barony, the first baron and baroness sat for 25 years. Then, as they were old and their health wasn't always what it should be, they decided to step down. Everyone loves them-in fact, it's a saying around here that there's not a place in the Knowne Worlde Baroness Amanda can go where she will not be offered help and a place to sleep. Two years ago this coming December 16th, her husband, Baron Sir Gerhard Kendal, passed away. Much of our kingdom was in mourning and came up to our barony for his wake. Since then, Baroness Amanda has remained an active figure in the SCA.

So, this past weekend was the coronet tourney. The semifinals were all fought by Dukes. Victory came at last to Sir Ulf, who was inspired that day by Baroness Amanda. She will become our new princess in November. News of this was sent to everyone who could not make the event (and who was on email lists) Saturday night, not long after the victory happened. I don't think anyone has been so excited about or for our prince and princess before.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:32 pm
Went to crown and saw alot of great heavy fighters pounding eachother about the head and shoulders. Good stuff.

There was a raffle and the proceeds went towards hurricane relief. The prize was a wooden mace made in the Ukraine.Well, i won, which was rather cool, considering the king awarded me my prize. Good food, good company, good...other randomness, such as everyone huddling in one tent to weather the storm.

Yee-haw  

Your Night Surgeon

CassiusD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:16 pm
My most memorable event was my first Dub Dub. As for what made it special, there were many things. First off it was my first SCA event. I authorised in sword and board at it. There was seeing how nice most people in the SCA seem, having not left Rockhaven before that I didn't know. There were the parties at night of course too. And the mild heat sickness during the day one day. I discovered spear throwing there too, now I love throwing spears. It's also where I first tried hard cider (which has become a normal part of my diet since then). Really the whole event was memorable just because of everything that happened at it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:30 pm
I would have to say m first faire. I was almost sold of as a Faire Virgin by some friends from school, and i was traded alng with them (there were about 3 of them) and 2 faeries for a sign that the Wilds had taken from the Pirates. We were suppoesed to massage the Wilds Fight for the Bone champion, who's name was Runt...I didn't though.

Was fun excaping..But i didn't have shoes on...  

Oragami Sauce

SCA Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces