Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GELD!
  Yes thank you! ^_^
  Huh?
View Results

Chibbi_Satan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:17 am
Yes, I know, not exsactly SCA standard for a topic, but this is to give some idea's to people who want to see movies to get them "in the mood" for eventing, or maybe some great idea's for persona's or ideas for costuming.

So the question here is: "Which movies do you think show some great idea's for SCAdians, and what are the things people should look for?"

My first is "The 13th Warrior".
The movie was first written by Micheal Crichton as a book called "The Eaters of the Dead" and then directed by John McTiernan as the movie. Crichton himself did some uncredited directing for a reshoot at the request of McTiernan who was working on another film when reshoots were needed.

Now before you go into the MANY goofs that were not edited propperly in this movie, or the many times there were continuity errors, or the garish costuming issues (actually, the costumes where fine considering that the Norse were conquerors of other lands and could have aquired spanish helms and mongol spear heads,... kinda.... xd ) please remember that this is just a movie, and one of the only really good "Norse" baised ones as well.

This movie is based upon the story of Beowulf and the writing manuscripts of Ahmad ibn Fadlān while traveling to the north-lands. In this movie you see many North-land traditions and dress styles, as well as the brutal nature of their culture.

Even though I think the book is way better than the movie, I still think the movie has merrit and is a wonderful work.

So....who's next? 4laugh  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:18 am
Elizabeth, starring Cate Blanchett. Sure, they fudged a few things (well, they had to, to fit her entire reign into a 2hr. movie...), but it's beautiful, interesting, and has fantastic costuming.  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Chibbi_Satan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:33 am
Haven't seen it. I'll add that to my list. heart sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:38 am
Ok...Sorry. I'm about to cause people to flame me.

13th Warrior and the problems:

The helms are several centuries to late. The spear heads like that weren't shown in Europe or the middle east until the mid 13th century. That was set in the 10th. The only person who had remotely period armour for a Norseman was the damn Arab.

The garb was atrocious. Plan and simple. Very little of the garb shown has any basis in fact. In the norse culture a man showing his chest in public was a valid reason for a divorce as well. This includes key hole tunics and especially working without a shirt.

The writing of Ahmad ibn Fadlan that actually visited included 3 lines about their barbarism. They bathed weekly (unheard of to him), they burned their dead and the bit about spitting into the wash bowl.

The are two good points for that movie. It was a good plot and the acting was at least decent.

As a reference for norse culture, armour, or clothing? Stay away. Your better off just going to the children's section of a library then you are to find anything remotely correct out of hollywood.  

Snaebjorn

Chibbi_Satan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:22 am
Snaebjorn
Ok...Sorry. I'm about to cause people to flame me.

13th Warrior and the problems:

The helms are several centuries to late. The spear heads like that weren't shown in Europe or the middle east until the mid 13th century. That was set in the 10th. The only person who had remotely period armour for a Norseman was the damn Arab.

The garb was atrocious. Plan and simple. Very little of the garb shown has any basis in fact. In the norse culture a man showing his chest in public was a valid reason for a divorce as well. This includes key hole tunics and especially working without a shirt.

The writing of Ahmad ibn Fadlan that actually visited included 3 lines about their barbarism. They bathed weekly (unheard of to him), they burned their dead and the bit about spitting into the wash bowl.

The are two good points for that movie. It was a good plot and the acting was at least decent.

As a reference for norse culture, armour, or clothing? Stay away. Your better off just going to the children's section of a library then you are to find anything remotely correct out of hollywood.

had to do it didn't you? LMAO sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:14 pm
kingdom of heaven
for middle eastern ideas, lots of good headpieces and jewelry ideas in there, brave heart defenately.
princess bride
robin hood(any of them really)
gladiator
excallibur
oh and that new beowulf movie with gerard butler in it  

rocker_chick1991

Chibbi_Satan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:54 pm
rocker_chick1991
kingdom of heaven
for middle eastern ideas, lots of good headpieces and jewelry ideas in there, brave heart defenately.
princess bride
robin hood(any of them really)
gladiator
excallibur
oh and that new beowulf movie with gerard butler in it

The new Beowulf movie should be absolutly amazing. It has Anthoney Hopkins, Angalina Jolie, John Malkovich, and many others in it. Maybe for once we'll get the right story and a decent re-telling of it.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:16 pm
i bought it and it is very slow but overall a good movie very acurate  

rocker_chick1991

Chibbi_Satan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:00 pm
rocker_chick1991
i bought it and it is very slow but overall a good movie very acurate

lol, I think were talking about a diffrent movie. The one I'm speaking about hasn't come out yet.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:28 pm
Ok...I can't reply to this thread anymore. I looked over the movies listed and immediately started naming each problem with them.  

Snaebjorn

Chibbi_Satan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:55 am
Snaebjorn
Ok...I can't reply to this thread anymore. I looked over the movies listed and immediately started naming each problem with them.

lol! sweatdrop your such an a*****e, Snaebjorn! heart 3nodding But thats one of the things that makes you - well - you...lol!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:21 am
Beowulf & Grendel  

Wulfric88

Snaebjorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:13 pm
Chibbi_Satan
Snaebjorn

lol! sweatdrop your such an a*****e, Snaebjorn! heart 3nodding But thats one of the things that makes you - well - you...lol!

Hey. I didn't list them here! I'm only a bit of an a*****e.

This time.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:07 pm
Snaebjorn
This time.

^
| Key words! wink heart

Naito_Mitsukai

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100