Boosting involvement in the Phys and Math Guild Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nonameladyofsins

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:57 am
EDIT
currently guild involvement is healthy. Post count increases daily, and member count increases every couple of days. I'm finding people are posting on very interesting topics! I'm proud of you guys *sniffles

Part of the problem may be having a fairly young crowd who doesn't post very much because they feel they can't contribute to the topics. ANYTHING IS OK (as long as it's phys/math) I would love to see people post more about simpler topics.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:54 pm
poweroutage
I want to increase involvement in the Phys and Math Guild hwr, I need some suggestions. Is there anything you wish to be done? What do you think can be done about this? Should we even do anything?

Part of the problem may be having a fairly young crowd who doesn't post very much because they feel they can't contribute to the topics. ANYTHING IS OK (as long as it's phys/math) I would love to see people post more about simpler topics.

I definitely think there should be more involvement.

I was browsing through some of the postings, and I found that I couldn't really contribute anything to the topic since I'm not a physics student. Most of the topics posted have to do with physics, and I don't want to post anything that might cause someone to snicker. sweatdrop

I'll try to think of some math type things to post... Don't know when I would post since the semester has started up again, but I will try! surprised  

JGMurakami

nonameladyofsins

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:29 pm
JGMurakami
poweroutage
I want to increase involvement in the Phys and Math Guild hwr, I need some suggestions. Is there anything you wish to be done? What do you think can be done about this? Should we even do anything?

I was browsing through some of the postings, and I found that I couldn't really contribute anything to the topic since I'm not a physics student. Most of the topics posted have to do with physics, and I don't want to post anything that might cause someone to snicker. sweatdrop

I'll try to think of some math type things to post... Don't know when I would post since the semester has started up again, but I will try! surprised

I don't think anyone would mind answering your questions!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:34 am
Maybe it should be clearer for members that they can ask as much questions as they want. I'm not that active since I mostly post in the math forum and there aren't that much new posts there.  

The_Bartner

Aetherius Lamia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:45 pm
It's difficult to post math online where text is your only option. "sqrt((x^(2/5))/(2z) + y^2)" doesn't really look all that attractive. Lanzer -- or whomever in charge of the post options -- really need(s) to get it with it. (I spent way too much time trying to write three simple vectors; see http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?page=1&t=6010611#102408816 .)

I don't come here asking for help with homework because it's usually due so soon there isn't enough time for a reply, and typically any problems I have are either answered by our textbook or another student in our Physics lounge. It's difficult to describe problems here for me; it's easier to simply scan the page and upload it via Photobucket (or my website). Problem being, I don't have a scanner at MTSU, and my house is usually unaccessible except during weekends.

I haven't read the news online in a while; I've begun reading the newspaper at the front desk, and clipping and taping the articles to my dorm door. I should get back into the habit of reading online and posting articles here ...  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:08 am
JGMurakami
poweroutage

Nah physics students are a humble lot. The only thing that annoys us is if people declare things like "Einstein is wrong! I proved it!" If there's something in physics you're interested in or don't understand always ask. 99% of the time your question can be answered in lay terms.  

Morberticus

nonameladyofsins

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:34 am
Morberticus
JGMurakami
poweroutage

Nah physics students are a humble lot. The only thing that annoys us is if people declare things like "Einstein is wrong! I proved it!" If there's something in physics you're interested in or don't understand always ask. 99% of the time your question can be answered in lay terms.

yes the saying is if someone CAN'T explain it to you in lay terms, then they don't understand it.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:13 pm
poweroutage
Morberticus
JGMurakami
poweroutage

yes the saying is if someone CAN'T explain it to you in lay terms, then they don't understand it.

Wisely stated biggrin I think it would be cool if we could get some people in here who are interested in things, but never had a chance to learn - it would be like taking a class, only without all the other complications. That would be so incredibly awesome 3nodding  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

nonameladyofsins

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:01 am
MyOwnBestCritic

Wisely stated biggrin I think it would be cool if we could get some people in here who are interested in things, but never had a chance to learn - it would be like taking a class, only without all the other complications. That would be so incredibly awesome 3nodding

We take anyone who is interested, there are no requirements for knowledge, which means that if any such people exist AND they are willing to find us, they'll come, can't force it on them. As for the class idea, VorpalNeko has put one thread teaching relativity, and Layra-chan has posted some formulas, but along with it she's explaining everything stressed (a little more than i asked of her, but as long as she wants to do it). We could potentially start tutorials.... but I don't know how comitted people are. Right now involvement is fragmented, the regulars often times learn from more experienced, but a lot of the posting lies on newly admitted members who post for a period of time then dissapear.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:12 pm
The_Bartner
Maybe it should be clearer for members that they can ask as much questions as they want. I'm not that active since I mostly post in the math forum and there aren't that much new posts there.
im new but i didnt realize there was a math forum redface
ive read some theoretical physics books (greene, hawkings...) a few years ago in middleschool but I still dont know any of the math behind physics and that seems to be what everythings about. crying
I've read material dating back pretty early and there are so many theories that contradict each other that im unsure if anything i say is right and I am also naturally cynical that people on the web is wrong.
how old generally are people in this forum? I'm 16...  

Pizopizopizo

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:44 pm
We need to give scholarships out to people majoring in math or science. I guarantee that will get participation.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:21 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
We need to give scholarships out to people majoring in math or science. I guarantee that will get participation.

:applause:
i wish....  

Pizopizopizo

nonameladyofsins

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:04 am
blacksheepmails
The_Bartner
im new but i didnt realize there was a math forum redface
ive read some theoretical physics books (greene, hawkings...) a few years ago in middleschool but I still dont know any of the math behind physics and that seems to be what everythings about. crying
I've read material dating back pretty early and there are so many theories that contradict each other that im unsure if anything i say is right and I am also naturally cynical that people on the web is wrong.
how old generally are people in this forum? I'm 16...

are you taking calculus, maybe in grade 12? The math for physics is not as scary as people make it sound, it's mostly applied math. I'm 19.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:22 pm
One thing that might help would be the inclusion of basic tutorials on certain things. As it is summer, I'll try my best to make some math prototype tutorials for things like basic calculus and probability models. Maybe some other members can follow suit and make some good and easy to understand tutorials on other topics.  

CodeLabMaster

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:31 am
I would make a tutorial if anyone were interested. Though, I'm mostly Chemistry and math, not physics and math. It would be interesting, though, to have a few touches of the other sciences.

How about a "beginner's" type forum? Or maybe a designated "Homework help" thread? How much is in the guild account?  
The Physics and Mathematics Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff