Reply SCA Guild
Cheering..?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Regular Polyhedra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:54 pm
I was wondering if different kingdoms/baronies/ect. had variations in how they cheer? For example, I've been in the SCA off and on since I was 7, and so I learned to shout "huzzah!" and such. One of the Monarchs didn't like "huzzah" so we said "hooray"...but the big change in cheering that I've noticed, is that after court, when the herald does the whole "three cheers!" thing, it used to be that the herald would say, "An Tir!" And the populace would shout back, "We stand together!"

But now we just shout "An Tir" back.

I don't like that change, especially since it seemed to happen about the time that Wealdsmere became a frat party with a theme, or just politics, or A&S if you were part of that clique.

Crap, I just went off topic in my own thread.
heart  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:02 pm
I know some groups lean toward "vivat" rather than "huzzah," and I've known some war bands to cheer their own way as is appropriate for their time and place.  

Courtesan Brigitte

Snaebjorn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:16 pm
Here in Aethelmearc we yell Vivat during court. And those of us from the Barony of Thescorre yell "Bobreaf" during Baronial court as well as when a member of the barony gets an award during kingdom court.

Bobreaf is Fear Bob backwards. Thescorre has three ravens in its arms. Hugen, Munin, and Bob. Not sure why we yell it but it is what we do.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:16 pm
Snaebjorn
Here in Aethelmearc we yell Vivat during court. And those of us from the Barony of Thescorre yell "Bobreaf" during Baronial court as well as when a member of the barony gets an award during kingdom court.

Bobreaf is Fear Bob backwards. Thescorre has three ravens in its arms. Hugen, Munin, and Bob. Not sure why we yell it but it is what we do.
Ah, yes... I remember that when I visited...

In Stonemarche, we all shout "Vivat!", usually three times, then cheer/drink/whatever.
At feasts, we tend to have the neverending toast, which starts with someone saying, "My lords and ladies, please charge your glasses..." then they toast someone, then sit down, then someone else stands up, toasts someone else, etcetra, and this has gone on for over ten rotations.

I seem to remember that somewhere in the midrealm they say what sounds alot like, "Wooba". According to legend, this started when a bellydancer was performing for the royals, and the king said "Hubba hubba." The queen said something to the efffect of "What?" and the king explained it was a middle eastern word similar to vivat. It's been used ever since.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Padmasana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:06 pm
An east-coast unit in Dagorhir has a cool one....

Leader: "Blood and souls!"
Unit members: "And body holes!"

...closer to home, we get markedly less period.

The Blood Pact, one of our households: "Boot boot smite!"
Tynan: "SPOON!" (he hand-forges period flatware....)
House Padma: "Many bloods, one family." Or, in Drow: "Mzil vlosen, uss fuma." ....that's the House motto.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:59 pm
We tend to use Vivat as a kind of all-purpose. I've occasionally heard huzzah. Different orders sometimes have different cheers for when things are awarded in court... the order of the kittyhawk, for instance, meows, the ...boreas, I think, makes wooshing noises. xd  

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,300 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100

Artimus_Twitch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:39 am
We still shout "we stand together" after he calls "An Tir" crying I would not like that change and would still yell 'we stand together no matter what.
An Tir-> We stand together!
Avacal-> Together we conqure!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:22 pm
Snaebjorn
Here in AEthelmearc we yell "Vivat"

That's the only one I've personally heard, though I know there're others. 3nodding

Sunegami

Playful Nerd

22,040 Points
  • Pizza Party Attendee 500
  • 1000 High Score 100
  • OTP 200

Felix OFlyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:12 am
>.>
<.<

I like Huzzah  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:47 pm
My favorite: DEATH TO THE (nationality) PIGDOG!!!!!  

BladeDeSoul

Chibbi_Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:25 pm
I was appaled at the whole "hooray" thing. For as many groups as I associate with, and as many events as I am the Games Coordinator, mostly we all still yell Huzzah.

A couple house motto's for you:
McCreadys:
Someone walking into the encampment yells: "MCCREADY!!!!" they reply with "SLUT!!!!"

Sheild Brigade:
"For those who stand behind us?" STRENGTH!
"For those who stand with us?" BLOOD!
"And For those who stand against us?" STEEL!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:47 pm
BladeDeSoul
My favorite: DEATH TO THE (nationality) PIGDOG!!!!!

One time we had an event that encompused both pigs and dogs....  

Felix OFlyn

SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff