Reply The Japanese Guild
Holidays

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

EliMae

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:00 pm
i figured we could add to this as they come up. i don't know if there is a father's day in japan, but i am looking for something for my son to tell his dad on sunday. it doesn't have to be 100% because his dad doesn't know much japanese, but he is very proud of the 25% he has in his blood. he is excited i'm teaching our son japanese, though i can't understand why he doesn't do it himself.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:33 pm
They have mother's day and father's day much like we do, but it's more commercialized as it isn't a traditional Japanese holiday. I'm actually not sure what you would say on father's day in Japanese. I know mother's day is "haha no hi, omedetou" but "chichi no hi, omedetou" can be translated in a very...ecchi way, so I wouldn't use that....Mother's day is bigger in Japan and father's day is.  

chinotenshi

Tipsy Lunatic

chinotenshi

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:52 pm
Here's a list of some of the major Japanese holidays, in case anyone is curious.

January 1-3
New Year (shogatsu):
This is the most important national holiday in Japan.

Second monday of January (Used to be January 15th, but supposedly they've changed it)
Coming of Age (seijin no hi):
The coming of age of 20 year old men and women is celebrated.

February 3
Beginning of spring (setsubun):
Setsubun is not a national holiday, but is more of a cultural one. This one is fun cause you run around your house throwing roasted soybeans around yelling "oni wa soto! fuku wa uchi!" which means "evil get out! good luck come in!" Lots of cities will have parades, and big Buddhist temples will throw out candy to a throng of visitors.

March 3
Doll's Festival (hina matsuri):
The Girl's Festival. This is the one with the dolls of the Imperial Court. I had a host family that collected these sets..I think they have over 70 sets O_o

March 21
Spring Eqinox Day (shunbun no hi):
Graves are visited during the week (ohigan) of the Equinox Day. The day itself is a national holiday.

April 29
Greenery Day (midori no hi):
The birthday of former Emperor Showa, who loved plants and nature. From 2007, this national holiday will be renamed Showa Day, while Greenery Day will be moved to May 4. Part of the Golden Week.

May 3
Constitution Day (kenpo kinenbi):
National holiday remembering the new constitution that was put into effect after the war. Also part of Golden Week.

May 4
"Between Day" (kokumin no kyujitsu):
According to Japanese law, a day which falls between two national holidays is also declared a national holiday. What a great reason for a holiday, no? Another Golden Week holiday.

May 5
Children's Day (kodomo no hi):
Originally called Boy's Day. Is the last day of Golden Week.

July 7 (usually)
Star Festival (tanabata). Don't actually know much about this one, cept you see a lot of decoration for this one.

July/August (depends on the area. Usually early August in most places)
Obon:
Obon is a festival to commemorate the deceased ancestors. Lots of dancing, lots of food, and lots of taiko drums.

September 23
Autum Equinox Day (shubun no hi):
Graves are visited during the week (ohigan) of the Equinox Day. The day itself is a national holiday.

November 15
Seven-Five-Three (shichigosan):
A festival for children, boys aged five and seven, girls aged three and seven, to celebrate the fact that they reached those ages. According to my host families, this was created due to the high infant/child mortality rate in Japan's middle ages. The outfits kids wear are SO cute.

December 23
Emperor's Birthday (tenno no tanjobi):
The birthday of the current emperor is always a national holiday. If the emperor changes, the national holiday changes to the birthday date of the new emperor.

Those are the major holidays. There are a few smaller ones (ocean day, sports day, culture day, respect for the elderly, etc. that I didn't list) as well as more American ones. Valentine's Day is celebrated by women giving men they like chocolate. On White Day (March 14th) men return the favor and give women chocolate. There can be a lot of gossip that travels due to this. The Japanese are also increasingly celebrating Christmas, but it is almost a completely commercial holiday as the number of Japanese celebrating Chrisitanity is still quite low.

Also, each little "shrine area" (i.e. the neighborhood surrounding a shrine) will have a "matsuri", or festival. Most take place in Summer or Fall, but you do get some in Winter and Spring. You also get really weird ones like the p***s Festival and the v****a Festival sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:16 am
You forgot Valentine's day and White Day >.<

Hello Everyone.  

Kouichi Pendolse

Steeple

Buggy Nymph

58,625 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:06 pm
Tanabata is a celebration for the two star-crossed lovers.

The story goes that the Weaver Princess, Orihime (I think she was a goddess..?), fell in love with the Cow Herder, Hiroboshi (mortal..?). Anyway, the gods (or someone) opposed this relationship, but on Tanabata, they can pass the Milky Way to go on a date. If the weather is clear, the date went well; if it isn't, then they can't go on a date.

I'm a little fuzzy on this, but I got the gist. >_o  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:54 am
During the summer they have outdoor festivals every weekend. Got to experience my first one this evening at my hotel in Tokyo. Yeah, I'm in Japan for 5 days and was in Korea for a month studying aboad. Have any questions just ask.  

FightouChan

chinotenshi

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:40 am
Kouichi Pendolse
You forgot Valentine's day and White Day >.<

I was trying to stick to traditional holidays, not completely commercial holidays.

Steeple333
Tanabata is a celebration for the two star-crossed lovers.

The story goes that the Weaver Princess, Orihime (I think she was a goddess..?), fell in love with the Cow Herder, Hiroboshi (mortal..?). Anyway, the gods (or someone) opposed this relationship, but on Tanabata, they can pass the Milky Way to go on a date. If the weather is clear, the date went well; if it isn't, then they can't go on a date.

I'm a little fuzzy on this, but I got the gist. >_o

That sounds about right. Though this year was definitely cloudy so all of my students were very sad for the princess and her lover.

Animeshikanai
During the summer they have outdoor festivals every weekend.

Not everywhere. It's usually only certain shrines. I've been here in Kumamoto (Southern part of the island of Kyushu) for a month now and have yet to see one outdoor festival (i.e. matsuri). Though there is a big one coming up in a few weeks for Obon. Can't wait for that. Supposedly gonna have a huge fireworks display biggrin

And I'd like to add to the list Sea Day (Umi no Hi) even though I have no clue what it is besides the fact it gave me a Monday off of teaching domokun  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:25 pm
The festivals that occur around the time of Obon are actually called Natsu Matsuri FYI. A lot of native Japanese that I've met get a little confused when they come to the U.S. and they see this thing that Japanese-American communities put on called an "Obon Festival". Obon itself is about the ancestor worship and stuff and there's technically no festival about it, but the festival that's around the same time where you would do Obon odori is Natsu Matsuri in Japan. To clear up the confusion, if you just tell them it's Natsu Matsuri, then they're not confused anymore.  

Yilei

Eloquent Entrepreneur

12,000 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Elocutionist 200

Hermonie Urameshi

Conservative Explorer

6,550 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:48 pm
chinotenshi
Here's a list of some of the major Japanese holidays, in case anyone is curious.

January 1-3
New Year (shogatsu):
This is the most important national holiday in Japan.

Second monday of January (Used to be January 15th, but supposedly they've changed it)
Coming of Age (seijin no hi):
The coming of age of 20 year old men and women is celebrated.

February 3
Beginning of spring (setsubun):
Setsubun is not a national holiday, but is more of a cultural one. This one is fun cause you run around your house throwing roasted soybeans around yelling "oni wa soto! fuku wa uchi!" which means "evil get out! good luck come in!" Lots of cities will have parades, and big Buddhist temples will throw out candy to a throng of visitors.

March 3
Doll's Festival (hina matsuri):
The Girl's Festival. This is the one with the dolls of the Imperial Court. I had a host family that collected these sets..I think they have over 70 sets O_o

March 21
Spring Eqinox Day (shunbun no hi):

April 29
Greenery Day (midori no hi):
The birthday of former Emperor Showa, who loved plants and nature. From 2007, this national holiday will be renamed Showa Day, while Greenery Day will be moved to May 4. Part of the Golden Week.

May 3
Constitution Day (kenpo kinenbi):
National holiday remembering the new constitution that was put into effect after the war. Also part of Golden Week.

May 4
"Between Day" (kokumin no kyujitsu):
According to Japanese law, a day which falls between two national holidays is also declared a national holiday. What a great reason for a holiday, no? Another Golden Week holiday.

May 5
Children's Day (kodomo no hi):
Originally called Boy's Day. Is the last day of Golden Week.

July 7 (usually)
Star Festival (tanabata). Don't actually know much about this one, cept you see a lot of decoration for this one.

July/August (depends on the area. Usually early August in most places)
Obon:
Obon is a festival to commemorate the deceased ancestors. Lots of dancing, lots of food, and lots of taiko drums.

September 23
Autum Equinox Day (shubun no hi):

November 15
Seven-Five-Three (shichigosan):
A festival for children, boys aged five and seven, girls aged three and seven, to celebrate the fact that they reached those ages. According to my host families, this was created due to the high infant/child mortality rate in Japan's middle ages. The outfits kids wear are SO cute.

December 23
Emperor's Birthday (tenno no tanjobi):
The birthday of the current emperor is always a national holiday. If the emperor changes, the national holiday changes to the birthday date of the new emperor.

Those are the major holidays. There are a few smaller ones (ocean day, sports day, culture day, respect for the elderly, etc. that I didn't list) as well as more American ones. Valentine's Day is celebrated by women giving men they like chocolate. On White Day (March 14th) men return the favor and give women chocolate. There can be a lot of gossip that travels due to this. The Japanese are also increasingly celebrating Christmas, but it is almost a completely commercial holiday as the number of Japanese celebrating Chrisitanity is still quite low.

Also, each little "shrine area" (i.e. the neighborhood surrounding a shrine) will have a "matsuri", or festival. Most take place in Summer or Fall, but you do get some in Winter and Spring. You also get really weird ones like the p***s Festival and the v****a Festival sweatdrop

Wow. Where'd you learn all these? I heard of a few in Kazunomiya Prisoner of Heaven that didn't have certain dates and some cold happen a lot. I'm sure if they where all real, but some they used to have were teeth blackening, moon viewing, hair dressing, and all sorts of other strange things. But like I said, I don't know if they were all real. It was a historical fiction book I read about those in.

And within a few minutes of reading the post I'm going to forget the Japanese names because of my brains inability to learn in roumaji. xp It tends to reject anything in roumaji. (almost anything)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:13 pm
Hermonie Urameshi
Wow. Where'd you learn all these? I heard of a few in Kazunomiya Prisoner of Heaven that didn't have certain dates and some cold happen a lot. I'm sure if they where all real, but some they used to have were teeth blackening, moon viewing, hair dressing, and all sorts of other strange things. But like I said, I don't know if they were all real. It was a historical fiction book I read about those in.

And within a few minutes of reading the post I'm going to forget the Japanese names because of my brains inability to learn in roumaji. xp It tends to reject anything in roumaji. (almost anything)
I know all of these because I've lived in Japan through each and every one of these holidays. I have celebrated them all with friends, students and co-workers.

Some of those things (teeth blackening, moon viewing) are things that did happen in feudal times. Moon viewings still happen and are quite fun to go to as they involve a lot of drunk Japanese people singing karaoke sometimes.

Also, I know I shouldn't say this as a teacher and all, but I'm getting quite tired of your complaining about roomaji. Your mind only rejects roomaji because you REFUSE to learn it. Just like with everything else in Japanese, if you actually put in effort to learn it, you can actually learn and understand it! Roomaji isn't that hard. If you really have that much trouble with it, instead of complaining to us about it (because obviously no one here is willing to go through the effort to change things for one person), when you come across something in roomaji, write it down in kana YOURSELF on a PIECE OF PAPER. The entire guild isn't going to change their input method just because you're complaining about it.

Now as I've said before, if you do want any of my lists of vocabulary that I have contributed to the guild, just PM me and I would be more than happy to personally give you a kana list. However, I am not going to go back and edit my post just because you're too stubborn to try to learn how to read, understand and memorize roomaji.

Thank you and have a nice day.  

chinotenshi

Tipsy Lunatic

Hermonie Urameshi

Conservative Explorer

6,550 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:00 pm
chinotenshi
Hermonie Urameshi

I know all of these because I've lived in Japan through each and every one of these holidays. I have celebrated them all with friends, students and co-workers.

Some of those things (teeth blackening, moon viewing) are things that did happen in feudal times. Moon viewings still happen and are quite fun to go to as they involve a lot of drunk Japanese people singing karaoke sometimes.

Also, I know I shouldn't say this as a teacher and all, but I'm getting quite tired of your complaining about roomaji. Your mind only rejects roomaji because you REFUSE to learn it. Just like with everything else in Japanese, if you actually put in effort to learn it, you can actually learn and understand it! Roomaji isn't that hard. If you really have that much trouble with it, instead of complaining to us about it (because obviously no one here is willing to go through the effort to change things for one person), when you come across something in roomaji, write it down in kana YOURSELF on a PIECE OF PAPER. The entire guild isn't going to change their input method just because you're complaining about it.

Now as I've said before, if you do want any of my lists of vocabulary that I have contributed to the guild, just PM me and I would be more than happy to personally give you a kana list. However, I am not going to go back and edit my post just because you're too stubborn to try to learn how to read, understand and memorize roomaji.

You've lived in Japan? Cool! I want to study there for a year, but I can only find programs for college.

I'm not the only one whose mind rejects things. Aikos san also cannot read much in roumaji either and when she romanizes a lot of things she tends to mess up a lot. So it's not my fault. Also, I don't have room to write anywhere nor a portable surface to write on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:16 pm
Hermonie Urameshi
chinotenshi
Hermonie Urameshi

You've lived in Japan? Cool! I want to study there for a year, but I can only find programs for college.

I'm not the only one whose mind rejects things. Aikos san also cannot read much in roumaji either and when she romanizes a lot of things she tends to mess up a lot. So it's not my fault. Also, I don't have room to write anywhere nor a portable surface to write on.

Rotary Youth Exchange is the program I went through to go to Japan in high school. I also did an internship there last year as a college requirement.

Roomaji (There is no 'u'! Where do you see a 'u' in ローマ字?! That's as bad as putting an 'n' in there! Sorry. Side rant. ^^; wink can be difficult for native speakers because they rarely use it, except when typing. And when they type in Japanese, they usually know automatically if they've made a mistake because the kana they want doesn't show up. So when they type in roomaji without it changing to Japanese, it can screw them up. There's no kana to mess up or not show up. I've seen it happen. Hell, I make mistakes in my own roomaji. I'm not saying that you'll learn it like the back of your hand, I'm just saying that with some effort you will be able to understand it better. Just give it some time and effort. You still may not be able to understand it as quickly as reading something in kana, but you'll still be able to understand and you won't whine when people write in roomaji.

And if you don't have a portable surface to write on, simply copy and paste into a PM to yourself or Word document and then put in the kana. If you're going through the trouble of copying and pasting all the kana when you write anyway, this shouldn't be too much more of a hassle.  

chinotenshi

Tipsy Lunatic

Hermonie Urameshi

Conservative Explorer

6,550 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:21 pm
This is what one of my friends told me.

Aiko_589
Hermonie Urameshi
Some of this is helpful, but the ones with only roumaji don't. And my desktop (the only computer with a language bar) crashed and we can't save anything to it. crying I need to see it in kana for me to be able to memorize it...that's just how I learn now...

GOOD! i think you may be one of few people in thuis guild to actually make it to japa to live there. i know everyonb else here *(most of them not all) will forget japanese half way and do not have chance.

you might, i think you could.

Our desktop is damaged so there's no way of saving things on it, and I'm tired of not always being able to find things that we save to my dad's laptop so I'm just going to have to wait until I get a tablet to change it. Aiko san is more than happy to change kanji/roumaji into kana for me when I ask.

I've seen it written several ways. Roomaji, roumaji, roomanji, roumanji, romanji...The ones that bother me are the ones with 'n'.

The Japanese Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games