Reply The Japanese Guild
How do I send a nengajo?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shokai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:22 pm
I have heard that in Japan, they send New year's card to the post office and the post office keeps it until new year's and deliver them on new year's day. I have read that it can be done from overseas too. Has anyone done it? I read that if it is from over seas, one writes the word nenga in red. Also, how would you write the word nenga. Would it be 年賀 ? I really want to surprise my friend so she can recieve it on new years because I have not written to her for a while.

Also, on the nengajo where and how do I put the era name?

example: The year 2001 will be "heisei juu-san nen". How will I write it WITH THIS new year. How do I write it?

Arigatou!!  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:43 am
As I have never sent one from overseas, I can't tell you much other than the year.

2007 will be 平成十九年.  

chinotenshi

Tipsy Lunatic

Yilei

Eloquent Entrepreneur

12,000 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:49 pm
The era goes after/below the initial greeting which'll be something like "kinga shinnen" or 謹賀新年 which basically means "Happy New Year".

I made an image one for my online friends last year, so that should help you.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The image can actually be technically anything you want, but more traditional pictures would usually be the animal for th New Year, which in this case would be the Boar/Pig or some other good luck symbol or plum blossoms or something.

There are three flowers that bloom in early spring and those are representative of the New Year because the Japanese used to follow the Lunar calendar like the Chinese did and the Lunar New Year actually starts when spring time is coming. Because of that, the three flowers being featured on nengajou is common. I forgot the exact order, but I think plum blossoms were second and sakura were last. I can't remember what the first one was, but their blooming is symbolic of the New Year so you'll see those featured sometimes.

They also have online nengajou greetings too. Even if you don't send them, just looking at them can help you get an idea of what kinds of greetings you write on them:

http://greeting.rakuten.co.jp/event/nenga/  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:17 pm
It is 平成19年 Right now.
I get Nengajyo from my aunt and grandma and stuff, and I think you need something special...I don't know, I never tried personally. I'll look for it!  

Tanu-chan
Crew

7,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
The Japanese Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items