Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:43 pm
I got bored today.

Calontiri, I made something you can play with. Just credit me (Constantia, or R. Marie Ost works here).

User Image
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/zephyrofgod/Calontircopy.jpg[/IMG]

I'm scared now. razz

Now, if only I could figure out how to do period calligraphy...left-handed!  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:54 am
OOOOOOO!! PRETTY!! rofl heart

Makes me REALLY want to finally figure out a device for myself! sweatdrop  

Naito_Mitsukai

Random Saxon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:29 am
Oh, quite nice.
Could you do it for other kingdoms, or was this an act of patriotism?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:38 am
Random Saxon
Oh, quite nice.
Could you do it for other kingdoms, or was this an act of patriotism?

I could....but I am a Calontiri through and through.

I'll start singing songs. razz

If you just get me the line art, I can do that for you.  

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Felix OFlyn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:45 pm
Not bad.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:18 pm
Nice!

Oooh, good luck with the left hand caligraphy. Somehow I don't think there's much period work done left handed, least not documented. xp

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:21 pm
Sir_Catherine
Nice!

Oooh, good luck with the left hand caligraphy. Somehow I don't think there's much period work done left handed, least not documented. xp

Sadly, there's very little work done with the sinister hand. I have to modify a lot of what I do so that I can make it work. Unfortunately, that means I can't do very many hands outside of uncials.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:51 pm
That is pretty... Kind of ironic that it was made on the computer... I went to ORF with a friend of mine. I was standing in line for the ATM and the guy ahead of me was in full garb and in seemed a little ironic to see him using the ATM... When history meets today... I guess  

Sad-Hacked-Returned

Snaebjorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:19 am
Dragostae
Sir_Catherine
Nice!

Sadly, there's very little work done with the sinister hand. I have to modify a lot of what I do so that I can make it work. Unfortunately, that means I can't do very many hands outside of uncials.

Here is a bit of advice for you from another left handed calligrapher. Turn the paper side ways. Instead of an A being two vertical lines and a horizontal line you would write it using two horizontals and one vertical.

Typically the paper would be with the top facing ^. So writing the A would be /-. Instead face the top of the paper to the > and write the A by doing the vertical lines on their side and the horizontal line by going up and down.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:04 am
Snaebjorn
Dragostae
Sir_Catherine
Nice!

Here is a bit of advice for you from another left handed calligrapher. Turn the paper side ways. Instead of an A being two vertical lines and a horizontal line you would write it using two horizontals and one vertical.

Typically the paper would be with the top facing ^. So writing the A would be /-. Instead face the top of the paper to the > and write the A by doing the vertical lines on their side and the horizontal line by going up and down.

It's one of the things that I tried when I first started doing calligraphy at the ripe old age of eight.

It hurt, so I stopped.  

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Snaebjorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:41 am
How could it have hurt you? Your just drawing sideways.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:04 am
Snaebjorn
How could it have hurt you? Your just drawing sideways.
Maybe it's the angle of the wrist?  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Snaebjorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:18 am
That is true. Don't use an angled nib. Use a flat nib. Much much easier on the wrist for that style.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:46 pm
You must understand that I learned calligraphy from my mother (who is right handed). Therefore, I hold my pen like a right-handed person would. It hurts my wrist to write on paper any other way than slightly angled to the right.

My point is, I can do a good uncial. I can even do some decent Chancery and some blackletter, and even some fancy court hands...but I have to be allowed to do them my own way, otherwise I have even more joint issues plopped on top of my already extensive amount (trust me, Rheumatoid Arthritis is far from fun). And because I'm a jeweller and a cook IRL, I need my hands and wrists.

Got it?

Groovy. biggrin

Sorry if that seemed a bit too ranty. It wasn't meant to be that way.  

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items