Submit

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:35 am
My contact group has been invited to the shire south of us for their Moot, and I need to bring something preferably medieval in origin to eat.

So.

What's something quick, easy, and doesn't require a lot of refrigeration or heat...and period?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:16 pm
Cinnamon cheese toast.

Peferably use home made bread, but failing that, any thick bread that doesn't look "new" (so no block loaves etc, just a lump, lol).

Cut it thickly, spread with cheese, sprinkle with cinnamon & toast in the oven (preferably grill) for a couple of mins (until the bread toasts & cheese melts).

I currently have no documentation of this being period, but it was served at my first ever SCA event & many people agreed it was period (& no-one said it wasn't).

Tastes weird at first, but after a piece or two, it's really addictive.

It's quick, easy, doesn't require any refridgeration or much heat (if you can re-warm it before servng, that's great, but you don't have to), everyone I've asked has said it's period (even more so if you make the bread yourself... just buy a pack of breadmix & follow the instructions for not using a breadmaker), AND it's cheap (bread doesn't cost much, neither does cheese & cinnamon is cheap too! Even if you buy a few loaves of bread (about $2 each?), a large block of cheese/pack of cheese slices if you can't be bothered slicing about $5 & a jar of ground cinnamon (roughly $3), you can serve quite a few people for under $10, or a lot of people for under $15-$20 (I'm using Aussie prices here, it's probably a little less in US $).

JewelsSparkle

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:30 pm
What kind of cheese? biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:34 pm
Lentils and rice is period to Greece, I do believe.

My recipe:
1 cupl lentils, briefly washed
1 cup long-grain rice
5-6 cups water
1/2 large sweet onion
1-4 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt

Chop onion fairly fine and saute until golden in olive oil. While onion is sauteing, put lentils in water, bring to a biol, then simmer uncovered 15 minutes. Add rice, sauteed onion and salt, simmer covered for 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes covered before serving.  

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:58 am
That sounds really good, actually...but I'm really worried about the travel time that I have with this trip.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:51 am
Dragostae
That sounds really good, actually...but I'm really worried about the travel time that I have with this trip.
Lentils and rice sits really well. Unless your travel time is, like, more than 4 hours, if you just stick it in a tupperware container it'll be fine. If people want to hot it back up, you can microwave it or even stick it in a loaf pan and chuck it in the oven for a few minutes (might want to put some tinfoil over the top to make sure it doesn't dry out, though).  

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items