ehh?
  hyuaaaaa!!!
  *takes pie and runs*
View Results

GAZE_smuggler_Smoo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:43 am
Title of topic pretty much explains it all here..... 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:05 am
I really don't nkow. All I know is that ever since I was little in school, when we'd read stuff out of our "reading books" ever now and then we would stumble on something about Egypt. I just remember always being fascinated by it. The lookm of the land, the mystery, everything. And now that I'm older, I'm looking at possibly pursuing a career there.  

MayukoSan33

Rennie`
Captain

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:14 am
I visited Egypt last year and I was disappointed, I was in Taba (in Sinae) and it was so boring! I wanted to know more about Egypt and I did so on my last visit to Egypt (this year from July - August).  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:13 pm
Egypt isn't a favourite country of mine but i like the war side of any country.. be it Japan/UK/Egypt wherever really.

I.e the weapons,methods of torture and stuff.  

SpawnSoul1337

Chiaci

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:44 am
Hieroglyphics the most but everything  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:37 pm
It was a very strange journey in my case, and frankly I still don't know quite what set it all off. For me, ancient Egypt has a very practical significance; I am a Kemetic Reconstructionist. Basically, that means that I apply my understanding of ancient Egyptian culture and philosophy to my perception of modern life, and I place an emphasis on reliable academic sources... as opposed to New Age hype about "pyramid power" or pharoahs from Mars, for example. wink I encounter the gods on a daily basis, so I have a vested interest in knowing Whom I'm dealing with, what They will expect from me, and not embarassing myself with crazy conspiracy theories. 3nodding

I don't know for sure what prompted me to start looking for Bast. One day, however, I was finally put in a position where I had to start thinking about religion and I began searching for my own spiritual path. For some reason it just seemed obvious to me that She was my goddess, but I didn't know how to go about putting that into practice. I didn't even like Egypt at the time, frankly I thought they were a creepy death-cult of a culture, and it wasn't until much later that I found out how deeply they were involved in life.

Of course, at the time I knew nothing about Bast- aside from Her association with cats. I tried Wicca for a few years, but their concept of deity- like many Western concepts of deity- totally clashed with the ancient Egyptian one, and for several years I tried to fit Bast into the profile of an Earthy Ocean/Moon goddess. She wouldn't even speak to me, lol. You know how some cats will walk right in front of you, and then pointedly sit down with their backs to you just to make sure you know that they're ignoring you? Yeah, that's pretty much what She did.

She introduced me to Djhwty (Thoth), in a round-about way so that I didn't immediately try swedging Him into a Wiccan construct of a god. She basically showed me an ibis, and told me to go look. What I found was a god Who- rather than being all Solar/Fiery in nature- was associated with the Moon and with all things academic (among other things). Shocked, I decided to do a bit of a background check on Bast and found out that She was the Solar/Fiery one! About that time, I decided that the ancient Egyptians must have been a pretty twisted, backward people... and that I was really starting to like them.^_^ Up until that point my pantheon had been primarily a mixture of Egyptian and Hellenic (Greek) deities, but as time went on more Egyptians showed up and the Greeks started packing Their bags and fading out of the picture. At some point I got the novel idea that, since my pantheon was becoming more culturally focused, my rites of worship probably ought to follow suit. I started looking online for sources on ancient Egyptian concepts of religious practice... and ran into a thriving community of people, from all over the world, who were doing just that- and several steps ahead of me.

Since then I have been accepted into the following of other Egyptian gods- notably Skhmt (Sekhmet), due to Her patronage over the medical field and my work as a veterinary technician, but also Yinepu (Anubis), Amn (Amun), Hrw (Horus), Stkh (Set), and of course Ma'at Herself (She's kind of essential, and I'm a big fan wink ). Other gods and goddesses have been known to show Their hand in my personal life from time to time, but usually put in an appearance and then leave. I've devoted myself to learning about the gods and the ways which They have taught and are teaching to Their people- then and now- and how those concepts manifest themselves in the modern world. That has led me to pursue interests in all aspects of the ancient culture- including religion/magic, art, dance, philosophy, language, medicine, and concepts of ma'at, family ties, and community. And quite a few things besides- there is something to be learned in pretty much any aspect of life.

In this guild, I intend to stick to egyptology as a cultural, historical science. But that's how I got here. 3nodding  

WebenBanu

isabella jolie

3,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:05 pm
Well ive just always been fascinated with egypt. When i was little i would read my dads national geographics if they had anything egyptian in them. I love everything about egypt and the ancient culture, i didnt figure id be an egyptologist for the most part i had no idea what i wanted my carrer to be. Then it just came to me, i am going to be an egyptologist. I want to live somewhere in egypt to, but im not sure if its possible. Last summer i went to LA and i saw the King Tut exhibit. Oh man i even got to see his SARCOPHAGUS! i totally lost it. lol 4laugh  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:09 pm
I honestly don't know. The earliest time I remember doing something for Egypt voluntarily was in 2nd grade (I think) question . We were studying Africa and making bookmarks for one particular subject in Africa, so I chose Egypt. But since then, I've gotten a ton of Egyptian stuff.  

Anknest Ra Horakhty

LabTech27

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:31 am
well,i always had knowage about egypt when i was little ,i can't rember where i learned them but it must of been pretty young since one of my first memerois was crawling up to the tv and finding a program on mumifaction,that was when i was littl ein my nappies,then i beilve i went off to make a 'pharoh hat'  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:26 am
I think what got me in to Egypt, was my friend Zack. He was also in to Egypt and all about the things that happened back then in Ancient Egypt times.  

Kagome939

Angelic Gaian

7,850 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tax Evader 100

Lunar Kissed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:45 am
Originally I became interested when I learned of Cleopatra. I was eleven years old at the time. Then a year or two later I started to learn about the Egyptian practices of embalming the dead. It kind of took off from there, experiencing periods of dormancy before being renewed again. However, in the last couple of years it has stayed pretty well as one of my initial interests.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:05 pm
Hmm... I remember learning something about Egypt when I was in first grade or so. Ever since, it's been an obsession of mine!

I think what specifically got me into it was the Netjeru(Gods). We had to do a project on a specific God(I picked Yinepu/Anubis... Little did I know I'd turn out to be His!) Everything about Them fascinated me, even though at the time I was too little to understand what Gods or religion really was(I grew up in a very, very Atheistic household, and such things weren't talked about sweatdrop ).

I read anything and everything about Egypt that I could get my hands on, and still do.

And with every new thing I learn, I love ancient Egypt's culture, religion, history etc., even more. 3nodding  

Mortiferia

EclipticLight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:13 pm
I've always liked any type of mythology I could grasp, and the Egyptian Mythology was one of them. So, since I was a little girl, I've always sort of liked it.
But, I think, and I do realize it's rather silly, what really got me into the mythology was the sudden splurge of Egyptian-based shows on TV. I found them to be rather foolish, and instead decided to research the real thing. In doing so, I found some books on the mythology; that's where it all really started. Since then, I've been finding as much about Egypt's history as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:26 am
Most of the people here seems to have become intrested in egypt very early. biggrin

I think i started to like egypt when I was 10 (?) just because "They like cats there" heart I liked egypt because i liked cats...
Then I got older (and smarter) and become intrested im mythology. I realy liked the egyptian one. Most because of their animal-looking gods and mysteries...

And, my cousin had a PC-game about egypt 4laugh It was very funny and enthralling. You are suposed to help the pharao to build a pyramid, and you get quests from Ra and Anubis (!) ninja  

Lokun

Questionable Genius

11,475 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Threadmaster 200

Mortiferia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:55 pm
Lokun

And, my cousin had a PC-game about egypt 4laugh It was very funny and enthralling. You are suposed to help the pharao to build a pyramid, and you get quests from Ra and Anubis (!) ninja

Ooh ooh! Was it by any chance called "Pharoah"? I love that game! 3nodding

sweatdrop  
The Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas