Paint + bedsheets?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kiddo Seanchain

Shirtless Heckler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:31 pm
I've recently been asked to do some murals of an Italian countryside for a feast on old bedsheets. I'm trying to figure out what paints and stuff to use right now.

The first step is the lineart, which I will be doing by myself. I'm thinking of using chalk for this as it's visible and should go on a bedsheet easily.

The second step is paint-by-numbers with volunteers using... something. I'm wavering between acrylic and tempra. Both can be mixed with water so they'll go on easier but tempra is water-soluble and cheaper. However, I'm more familiar with acrylic and can mix it fairly well.

Anyone done this before? What materials did you use? Or any art-smart people in general willing to put in their two cents? Be much appreciated!

This project is going to consume my SCA life for a bit since I'm out of fighting on doctor's orders. I'm very excited about it though.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:47 pm
There is paint that is specifically fabric paint that I think would probably be your best bet. I'd be careful with your paints (I do watercolors, acrylics and oils, not tempra so I'm not positive on this one) aren't going to run if they get damp.  

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:48 pm
It's not period, but I like using acrylic (which is fairly easy to use, dries fast, mixes well, holds colour fantastically). When working with kiddos, though, I have to think how well it'll come out of fabric, and then I shift to tempera, but still break out the smocks. Tempera doesn't hold as well to fabric, so hopefully you're working with (semi)responsible adults.

It might be something to wear those ol' grungy mundanes for.

Constantia
(the former art major)  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:11 pm
For cheapness, ease and range of color... go for acrylic. But I reccomend grabbing a spray fixative (you should be able to buy it at a craft store for about $5ish.) to semi-weatherproof it afterwards. Acrylic will run if it gets too wet, which may prove annoying.  

TheSteven

SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff