View Results

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:30 am
So... this game HERE looks like it might be a dicing game... but what's with the round board? In the original picture it's red and yellow. So, what might that be? Could it be a shield, or is it a game board? The Romans did use round shields, I believe... but the fact that it's sitting so flat on the ground is a little confusing. What game is that? It looks like they're using at least three, possibly four dice.

Context: painting of the crucifixion with the soldiers gambling for the robe. Andrea Mantegna (1430/31-1506), Italian, Crucifixion, painted between 1457 and 1459 for the church of San Zeno in Verona. Part of a large three-part alterpiece. Now resides in the Louvre.

The image I have linked is a spot of just the gaming and the soliders.

A larger, color picture of the whole painting. Might indicate that the board is not a shield, given that the only other shield in the painting is a different style.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:21 pm
I dont know for a fact but it reminds me of a gambling game my local gamesmaster was telling me about. You would bet how many stones would land on each color. Again I dont know that for a fact but just passing on what I know.  

north_of_nita

3,050 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:01 pm
north_of_nita
I dont know for a fact but it reminds me of a gambling game my local gamesmaster was telling me about. You would bet how many stones would land on each color. Again I dont know that for a fact but just passing on what I know.
Hmmm... that sounds interesting, and perhaps likely. Do you happen to know the name of the game? The time period/region it was played in?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:00 am
Actually, yes! I think I know what it is!

It looks like Round Merrils, which was a common variation of Three Man's Morris. The round board has the right amount of wedges (eight) and the player is holding three tokens, which was the most common number of playing pieces.

Info here:

http://www.romanglassmakers.co.uk/games.htm
Just scroll down to the bottom.

(It's a fun game, btw. I prefer Nine-Man myself... but that's just personal preference.)  

TheSteven

Felix OFlyn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:05 am
They were casting lots for the exicuted peoplec clothing and what not. It was pretty much a type of lottory.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:21 pm
To Llelwyn
I dont remember all that much about it sweatdrop I was told about it over a year ago. Ill talk to my gamesmaster about it if you want though.

To TheSteven
It doesnt have the right markings or the right amout of tokens, both players would have to have 3 tokens not just the one player. But then again I could be wrong, its been known to happen. xd  

north_of_nita

3,050 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:20 pm
Rial k**e
They were casting lots for the exicuted peoplec clothing and what not. It was pretty much a type of lottory.
Documentation? Not to be a prig or anything, but I'd like to read about the system.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:21 pm
TheSteven
Actually, yes! I think I know what it is!

It looks like Round Merrils, which was a common variation of Three Man's Morris. The round board has the right amount of wedges (eight) and the player is holding three tokens, which was the most common number of playing pieces.

Info here:

http://www.romanglassmakers.co.uk/games.htm
Just scroll down to the bottom.

(It's a fun game, btw. I prefer Nine-Man myself... but that's just personal preference.)
Iiiiiiinteresting... Hm... I prefer nine and twelve-man morris.

That's a distinct possibility.  

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:22 pm
north_of_nita
To Llelwyn
I dont remember all that much about it sweatdrop I was told about it over a year ago. Ill talk to my gamesmaster about it if you want though.
I'd very much appreciate that. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:15 am
Llelwyn
Rial k**e
Documentation? Not to be a prig or anything, but I'd like to read about the system.

The bible....  

Felix OFlyn

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:48 pm
Rial k**e
Llelwyn
Rial k**e

The bible....
...See, that isn't really helpful. That doesn't tell me what KIND of game it is, how it was played, nor does it give me any real information about whether or not the game I'm seeing in this painting is actually that one or is a contemporary game that the artist adapted to fit the subject matter.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:34 pm
Llelwyn
Rial k**e
Llelwyn
Rial k**e

The bible....
...See, that isn't really helpful. That doesn't tell me what KIND of game it is, how it was played, nor does it give me any real information about whether or not the game I'm seeing in this painting is actually that one or is a contemporary game that the artist adapted to fit the subject matter.

Its the equivalant of putting names in a hat and drawing one at random.  

Felix OFlyn

SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff