Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply SCA Guild
Help an Aethelmearc-ian friend contact his local group.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Can you help?
  Totally! I'll get right on that.
  ...Aethel-whatnow?
  I could... but I have some pressing toenail clipping that I should really get to...
View Results

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:59 pm
So, a friend of mine who lives in Aethelmearc, Barony of Blackstone Mountain, Shire of Port Oasis. He has been unable to contact representatives of his local group (he e-mailed before Pennsic and still hasn't gotten a response). The main issue, for him, is that the Shire's website hasn't been updated in awhile so he isn't sure if the location/time of the meeting is still accurate. Second is the fact that he needs to figure out how to get to the meeting by bus (or perhaps get a lift from a SCAdian in his area).

I have few to no personal contacts in Aethelmearc, so I'm hoping the network here will have some answers. Help a newbie out?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:39 pm
Llelwyn
So, a friend of mine who lives in Aethelmearc, Barony of Blackstone Mountain, Shire of Port Oasis. He has been unable to contact representatives of his local group (he e-mailed before Pennsic and still hasn't gotten a response). The main issue, for him, is that the Shire's website hasn't been updated in awhile so he isn't sure if the location/time of the meeting is still accurate. Second is the fact that he needs to figure out how to get to the meeting by bus (or perhaps get a lift from a SCAdian in his area).

I have few to no personal contacts in Aethelmearc, so I'm hoping the network here will have some answers. Help a newbie out?

Is he a paid member, or does he know an Aethelmearcian who is? The Kingdom Newsletter will have phone, address, and e-mail information for the Seneschal of every local group in the Kingdom. If that fails, it will have the contact information for the Kingdom Chatelaine/Castellan/Hospitaller/whatever they call it there, and he/she should be able to point him to the right person.

Kingdom newsletters are a godsend in cases like that. One of the nice perks of being a paid member.

He might also check local newspapers or websites, some groups will be listed in the local events calendars.... though if their website is that out of date, perhaps not.  

Imzy
Crew

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:02 pm
He's not a paid member yet, no... and I'm not sure he's acquainted with any.

I know the kingdom chatelain's e-mail is chatelain@aethelmearc.org I guess I'll direct him there next unless someone has more immediate knowledge.

Thanks!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:15 pm
Llelwyn
He's not a paid member yet, no... and I'm not sure he's acquainted with any.

I know the kingdom chatelain's e-mail is chatelain@aethelmearc.org I guess I'll direct him there next unless someone has more immediate knowledge.

Thanks!

Hmmmm.... try PMing Sunegami. According to the kingdom polls in the kingdoms/local events subforum, she's originally from Aethelmearc. She may have access to a kingdom newsletter, or have contacts there....?  

Imzy
Crew

Sunegami

Playful Nerd

22,040 Points
  • Pizza Party Attendee 500
  • 1000 High Score 100
  • OTP 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:32 pm
Imzy
Hmmmm.... try PMing Sunegami. According to the kingdom polls in the kingdoms/local events subforum, she's originally from AEthelmearc. She may have access to a kingdom newsletter, or have contacts there....?

Oooo, I've been name-dropped. I feel so special! heart whee

*Ahem* Anywho. . . have your friend try emailing them again now, since the Pennsic hubbub has pretty much died down and all.

I'm not familiar with the Blackstone Mountain area, nor do I personally know anyone from there, so beyond that, I honestly can't offer much more besides a heartfelt "good luck". 3nodding

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:21 pm
Sunegami
Imzy
Hmmmm.... try PMing Sunegami. According to the kingdom polls in the kingdoms/local events subforum, she's originally from AEthelmearc. She may have access to a kingdom newsletter, or have contacts there....?

Oooo, I've been name-dropped. I feel so special! heart whee

*Ahem* Anywho. . . have your friend try emailing them again now, since the Pennsic hubbub has pretty much died down and all.

I'm not familiar with the Blackstone Mountain area, nor do I personally know anyone from there, so beyond that, I honestly can't offer much more besides a heartfelt "good luck". 3nodding

Doh! Well, it was worth a try.... smile  

Imzy
Crew

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:03 am
I'm not from Aethelmarc, but I have some suggestions.

First of all, if you sent an e-mail shortly before Pennsic your response might be delayed by the fact that the month or so before War is always crazy for those of us who are going. So now that War is over you might get an e-mail back.

Here are some other suggestions:

There is a phone number for the contact person for Port Oasis at http://www.portoasis.org/ in the "contact us" section. Have you tried calling them? There is also a link there for the Yahoo Group for Port Oasis. Or you can go directly to the site at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PortOasis/?yguid=2298415 I followed the link and the group seems to be very active. You might want to join the Yahoo group and start meeting the folks from your Shire.

By the way, one of the messages there stated: "Now that we're back from the Wars, let's do start fencing again! We'll begin at Ritter Park this Monday, August 28th at 6:45-7:00 p.m." So that would be a good starting point of a place to show up and start meeting folks. Don't worry if you don't fence, just go an introduce yourself.

Barony of Blackstone Mountain has an on-line message board at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baronyofblackstonemountain/ You may be able to contact others from your area through the message board who can help you out.

If you can't make contact with your local Shire, try contacting the Seneschal for the Barony to see if they can help. You can find listings of the Barony officers at http://www.blackstonemountain.net/index.asp

Good luck to you!  
SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff