Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Are your Parents and friends okay with you being Gothic? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are they?
  No
  yes
  one not the other
View Results

DJ Database

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:52 pm
Well...My parents are not for it whatsoever! And most of my friends are punk but not gothic. My one friend Cassandra is A really gily and preppy person but ive known her like, my whole life so we have a really strong relationship. (As friends, I dont go that way) Anyways, we were talking and there was a conversation started up about my friend Allison, who, trys to be something shes not. So heres what happened:

Cassandra: So shes Emo?
me: confused What? no, she trys to be punk and goth...
Cassandra: Thats what Emo is! Being something your not!
me: The ********? no it doesnt! Emo is something totally different!

And then I got annoyed and just dropped it. Also...anytime I go shopping im so irritated because she comes with me and I always take her to her dumb girly places but she doesnt want to go to my Gothic places! It might be a good thing that she might move away!

Also, when it comes to my parents its really hard! Anytime I wanna buy something they wont let me because its Gothic! They think im not when all I wear is Black, I like Godsmack, Korn etc. and I think skulls, gory things etc. are awsome! they are so stupid sometimes I wear! but they never care when im going shopping with my friends and I buy Gothic stuff! Its only hard now but they are slowly getting used to the idea that im gothic so that they can get out of their little denial stage! (but just remember I live with my grandparents, my dad loved The Gothic style sense hes pretty gothic and is in a gothic/punk band)

So how about you? how do your parents and friends feel about it??  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:56 pm
Well my parents are pretty cool with it though they keep thinking it's 'just a phase' because i'm only 14 and they think I'm an idiotic dumbshit like most of the people my age when truthfully most of the time I really dislike people my age and I get along better with people older then me....
But yeah, I know exactly what your talking about.

dark and demented

[ Die Katze ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:15 pm
my parents are sort of okay with it, but my dad doesn't like it. they'll buy me black clothing and such, though. my mother also refuses to buy anything with skulls or gore on it, and it's just retarded, especially if it has something to do with piratey-skull stuff.

but other than that, they buy clothes for me that are "goth" and since i make stuff from clothes i get at jc penney's or something, they don't object. they really don't care of the music that i listen to, as long as it isin't rap, or something with skanky lyrics, unlike rock music is. :]

and, my brother absolutely hates me being goth.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:20 pm
[ Die Katze ]
my parents are sort of okay with it, but my dad doesn't like it. they'll buy me black clothing and such, though. my mother also refuses to buy anything with skulls or gore on it, and it's just retarded, especially if it has something to do with piratey-skull stuff.

but other than that, they buy clothes for me that are "goth" and since i make stuff from clothes i get at jc penney's or something, they don't object. they really don't care of the music that i listen to, as long as it isin't rap, or something with skanky lyrics, unlike rock music is. :]

and, my brother absolutely hates me being goth.

Wow thats lucky! And ive never thought of buying stuff from JCPenny and making it goth! Thats a great Idea! I might use that!

And Why does your brother hate it? I mean, my sisters know im Gothic and their not really okay with it sense they are tomboying and preppy but they are still pretty much okay with it!  

DJ Database

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:27 pm
Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:27 pm
My mom hated me being goth, but over the years, she's just quit caring and lets me be myself (lawlz. I'm also old enough to make my own decisions now.) My dad's always been cool with it and encouraged me to be myself. ♥  

BabyEaterLad

r a i n- C R U S H E D

Magnetic Werewolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:07 pm
My friends are fine with it, my Dad hates it, my mom doesnt care how I dress  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:14 am
MY parents tend not to mind as I mix colours i with my black, and stick to an EGL style rather than lots of PVC! I think my mum doesn't care anymore, my stepdad just finds it a little embarassing to be seen out with me.

My friends however, love it as it tends to always be unique and it's not too extreme!  

Perestroyka

2aetH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:31 am
My mom simply tells me if I'm going to wear black, I better do so in taste. And she advises against me wearing it in 90 degree+ weather.

She just gives me the standard "you don't wear velvet in summer," "don't mix blue-black with red-black" "that scarlet silk looks nice with the leather pants" and "Your suede boots don't go with the velvet trenchcoat" kinda advice. I love her for it.

My dad says as long as I'm not dressing promiscuously, I'm fine, and he better not catch anyone oogling me. >.<

And everyone who's anyone or has known me at all knows I've been dressing like this since I was in 5th grade or so, so everyone's used to it. Used to get a kick out of the little fishes last year who didn't have any older siblings to mention me by and they were like "How do you get away with wearing this stuff in the dress code?"

To which the answer was "I'm Nie, everyone cuts me slack." Due to our standardized dress code and whatnot.....hehehe. I still got away with numerous things nobody else could. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:08 am
Of course they are.  

Emperor Lothar

Angel-Hybrid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:46 am
My parents are okay about it, my parents are really supportive. My friends are a bit weirded out about it, they're okay but sometimes they say things they don't realise are insulting but I'm used to it by now.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:31 am
My dad is ok with it....complains about my pants (Tripp Chains make too much noise for him)....my mom is fine with it, as long as its what i want, and im cofortable with my lifestyle....my friends.......they dont influence me...why should I care what they think?  

Artica_Maius-The_Fox_Born

3,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Team Edward 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Gothic_Kitty103

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:04 am
Well, my parents have no problem with me being goth. They see that I am goth cause I am depressed (and have been for six years). And yea, they think its ok as long as I'm not slitting my wrists like some people and stuff.

As for my friends... They have no prob. WE'RE ALL INSANE! I mean all of my friends are in some sort of catorgy... I have friends that are punk, goth, "normal", biker, ninja (HUGE noruto fans), weird, geek, and theres a few more but we're all just a bunch of freaks and proud of it... We like to be different from everyone else...  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:11 am
My parents don't care whatsoever.  

GilAskan
Crew

xX~Vampyre_Erotica~Xx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:38 am
I'm a hippie-goth, or a 'new age' goth which I've also been discribed as but didn't really get it confused
The hell is new age!? gonk

My parents hate the hippie part of me more, they wish I'd be preppy or something I'm like STFU blaugh
They hate it mainly because I want to join a gypsy caravan and travel the country with my golden retriver selling hand-made goods to anyone who will buy and barely scrape up enough money to buy food for us. Or buy a forest, build a cabin near a stream and live in harmony with the creatures of the forest.
They're like "You're A ******** Weirdo neutral "

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces