Reply SCA Guild
How does it look?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Luc Bloodwind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:48 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Does it look alright? Any advice on making it better or safer?
I want tips.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:42 pm
Wow... wood... That's gonna be really heavy. It would have been smarter to prime and paint it before edging it.  

[Atropa Belladonna]

north_of_nita

3,050 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:52 pm
Most fighters put something to gard their fingers, just incase a sword goes over and cracks them one. (Ive seen broken fingers from that.) Other then that just make sure everything is firmly in place.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:40 pm
Nice I like it. I just got two of my own done, one for turnies and one for wars. I always just spraypaint mine after I've edged it.

You gonna whear a full gauntlet with it?  

Felix OFlyn

Kiddo Seanchain

Shirtless Heckler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:02 pm
I'd second getting a basket hilt for it unless you're wearing a full gauntlet. I made that mistake once and OMG it hurt soooo bad. I'm surprised I didn't get something broken.

Let's see.... I curved mine a bit but you need rachets to do that. And I had a guy do it cause I'm too weak to get it pulled back. sweatdrop

Um, as for covering, I'd suggest getting a duck cloth covering for it. It's just really heavy fabric and I -think- it's spelt that way, pronounced that way for sure. It helps protect the wood and makes it last longer. You can either sew a covering or adhesive it on, which is what I did.

And yeah, it'll be heavy, but mine is two pieces of plywood glued together myself so I'll say that you get used to the weight after a while. My group's war shields are even bigger and heavier than my tourney shield - so much so that the arm strap leaves bruises after I've been fighting with it all day. And we all managed, even weakling little me.

Which reminds me - might want to get a thicker strap so the weight doesn't hurt as much. Some people I know use belts.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:48 pm
See, this is good information for someone like me who's looking into breaking into fighting (Calontir, why couldn't you just be like everyone else and allow fencing?).

biggrin  

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Luc Bloodwind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:45 pm
Thanks, i was thinking about making a basket hilt also. This was the first time i made one so i know it wont be perfect.
Ya i was planning on wearing a full gauntlet as well. pirate  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:30 am
Rolec
Thanks, i was thinking about making a basket hilt also. This was the first time i made one so i know it wont be perfect.
Ya i was planning on wearing a full gauntlet as well. pirate

Well over all it came out pretty well. I might get some pixs of my sheils I just made and put them up.  

Felix OFlyn

SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff