like to pretend I can sing!
  don't know...
  scream.
View Results

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:09 pm
Does anybody play any period musical instruments? Is anyone a member of a medieval music group or madrigal choir? (SCA or otherwise... ) Any tips for a beginner recorder player?

A lot of questions, yes... answer one, all, or nothing, just talk about music, that's all right! (yay, run-on sentences! I'm good at those...)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:46 pm
umm, i can play the drum..........set.  

Luc Bloodwind

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:07 pm
I love bodhrans and lapharps. Some of the first instruments I mastered.

I so want a lapharp.

So badly.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:29 am
I play the bodhran, guitar, and a bit of recorder. I'm currently trying to learn how to play the Irish tin whistle and getting confused because the fingering is different from the recorder.  

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:31 am
Little bit of recorder, learning celtic harp. Mostly I sing, because the instrument I'm classically trained on is the piano... and that doesn't do me much good in the SCA.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:05 am
TN_Lark
I play the bodhran, guitar, and a bit of recorder. I'm currently trying to learn how to play the Irish tin whistle and getting confused because the fingering is different from the recorder.

I understand.

Tin whistles (I think) are a whole lot less confusing than recorders. I love them, myself.  

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100

sillybillychoochoo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:34 pm
i play the mandolin and the doumbek(djmbe*sp?) and the acustic guitar. i play more but they aren't period. xp  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:27 pm
Recorder is all about the way you're using your air. Blow like you're blowing bubbles rather than blowing like you left the air mattress pump at home and no one else has one. Be gentle and you'll avoid the nasty squeeking. Also, if your tone is off check that each finger is completely covering its hole.  

[Atropa Belladonna]

Dea Mariella

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:26 pm
i love playing a modern instrument that works for SCAdian events. The oboe...the beast of an instrument...the only thing worse is the bassoon cause that literally has not been updated since the medieval times!

i used to be in a medieval ensemble, Vox Nives, until i went to school. and there aren't any in my area. oh well...there's always pennsic!

Dea-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:04 pm
The only thing I can do is play the drums for the belly dancers
And thats only because I got volen-told xp  

Artimus_Twitch

Snaebjorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:06 pm
Currently working on learning how to play a simple set of wooden pipes that are norse in origin. Very odd to learn.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:51 pm
I play lap harp.. guitar.. and clarinet. Woo!
I sing more often than not, tho, since no one wants to hear my music :p  

DontPanic

HoiPolloi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:29 pm
I can't sing, though apparently when I whistle what I think is melody, I'm really whistling the harmony...
I do play a string tension bass drum, but it's not mine, it belongs to Fort Henry. Here's a bit of our fife and drum show. I'm the bearded bass drummer... it's all I can play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU9lGa8Va-U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-bMB59UudU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nx-RgYIiXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSYyHsDZHKM (this is the best one)

I'm trying to learn how to play the Bodhran right now. I still need to find one and a teacher, makeshift practice isn't all its cracked up to be.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:38 pm
I play the recorder, sopranino through great bass, with a local SCA-based ensemble (and I can make noise with a shawm and a harp). wink I also sing alto and tenor with a local madrigal group, also connected to the local SCA group.

The problem I usually run into with playing for dancers, though, is that I'd rather be out on the floor dancing the bransle or almayn or italian stuff than tootle-ing along with the musicians. It's a tough quandry to find oneself in... sweatdrop  

Nerienda

endragh

Friendly Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:57 am
i am learning how to use a penny whistle and lap harp(self taught) i'm not that good thought  
SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games