Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:51 am
Book Reccomendations!

Know a great medieval history book? Post it here! (No fantasy books or novels, though, please... that could be a different thread.) How-to's, source books, history; if you've found it to be useful, others may as well!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:03 am
I found a great book at the used book store recently called The Atlas of Medieval Man by Colin Platt. Each chapter is a different century, from the 11th to the 15th. It covers culture, architecture, and art from all the way around the world, not just Europe. It has wonderful pictures and maps, too. Basically, it's just a great cross section history book.

A garb book that is commonly reccomended that I fully support is Medieval Costume and Fashion by Herbert Norris. Yes, all the drawings are from the 1920's, but it goes very in depth in European fashion, covering influences, patterns, materials, heraldic devices, hairstyles, ornamentation, shoes, and hats. (yay, run-on sentences!)

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Sunegami

Playful Nerd

22,040 Points
  • Pizza Party Attendee 500
  • 1000 High Score 100
  • OTP 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:47 pm
OMG, my school library has a really old, falling apart edition of Medieval Costume and Fashion! I used it for a project in my graphic novel class! heart  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:27 pm
There is a couple of books by a woman named Janet Arnold. I believe they're called Patterns of Fashion, and there is...two different ones I believe, for different time periods. They're EXCELLENT for garb!!!  

Arithrel
Crew

[Atropa Belladonna]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:49 pm
I can't remember the full title, but the "[somethingorother] of courtly love" is a very graphic and... um... specific... period account of the laws of courtly love. It's great fun.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:21 pm
[Atropa Belladonna]
I can't remember the full title, but the "[somethingorother] of courtly love" is a very graphic and... um... specific... period account of the laws of courtly love. It's great fun.

The Art of Courtly Love?  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out