Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply 21+
What is your opinion on the Andrea Yates case?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dark_Lady_Jade

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:38 pm
Like the title says, what are your opinions?

Do you think she's really mentally ill? Do you think she knew what she was doing? Do you think she should have been found guilty?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:16 pm
Should have locked away that murderer for life.

Hope she never sees freedom.  

Tillisnut

Aged Survivor

23,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Voter 100

Prince Mykal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:14 pm
Mentally ill or not, that woman need to be locked up forever. As a matter of fact, I feel the death penalty should be allowed for those that have absolutely no chance of ever getting out of prison regardless of thier crime.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:22 pm
DROWN HER!!!! The reason why crime is so high is because you can't punish your kids and adults get away with acts as bad as that! She should be drowned. I may not have kids of my own yet, but if those were my niece and nephews, she'd alreaddy be under water. BS flag is being waved on this one.  

Archangel Lionheart

Dafthank

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:43 pm
Definately think the death penalty on this one. Not only because she did kill five kids, but that her insanity defense is flawed.

Tempoary insanity is a viable excuese when you are under the influence of god. Meaning that whatever messed up thing you do, as long as you say that God made you do it, then you are able to plead insanity.

However, in this lady's case, she claimed that the devil made her do it. This is a major difference because we all know and understand the devil to be a being of evil. That being said, if the devil tells you to do something, then it can consciously be considered immoral or wrong. Since she was under guidance of the devil, then she knew what she was doing was wrong to begin with, yet still consciously chose to go threw with it.

She definately deserves som harsh punishment, but I feel even more enraged that she treid to make a religious argument out of it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:28 am
I'd like to speak on what Dafthank said.
The devil is deceptive and misleading, and is the cause of evil. Claiming that you did something wrong because of the devil is not even worth saying. But trying to excuse it that way is just asanine. "Hey, I stole a tv! It's ok, the devil makes us sin *nod*." I find it hard to belive that so many people try to use religion without ever reading the bible(or the book of their religion) and actually learning the religion.

LilBitNekoKiwi

Party Enabler

Juggalo1213

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:32 pm
I say let her Fry! I dont believe in temporary insanity unless your under the influence of some heavy drugs in which case you should still be held responsbile.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:14 pm
Honestly, I'm upset with anyone in her life at the time who didn't notice something was wrong with her and try to get her help. Women with post-partum depression or psychosis are always giving off massive signs they have it and it should be taken seriously.

The response in here so far makes me believe that no one who has answered believes that PPD or PPS actually exist and are an 'excuse.' I think what she did was horrible and am disgusted by it, but if she was suffering from PPS, she may very well have been convinced her children were evil, much in the way schizophrenics say that they see demons possessing people on the streets and are terrified. Psychotics are by no means logical or in control of what they do.

If someone had taken some interest in her and helped her help herself, she may have had treatment and her children would still be alive. So I believe that all the people in her life let her down and are partially responsible for what happened to those children.

I pity her more then anything and I'm sure the guilt she feels is worse then any punishment you could wish upon her.

Pirate Dirge

Hygge Agenda

44,725 Points
  • My Feminist Agenda 500
  • Cozy Life 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

wing1933

4,400 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:55 pm
First, I think her depression was probably real. That would account for her killing of the youngest. But to actually chase down the oldest and drown him. AT the very least that one was murder. I think that the husband (ex-husband) bears some responsibility as an accessory. If he knew she was disturbed, he should have made sure she was medicated or been looked after.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:18 pm
Pirate Dirge
Honestly, I'm upset with anyone in her life at the time who didn't notice something was wrong with her and try to get her help. Women with post-partum depression or psychosis are always giving off massive signs they have it and it should be taken seriously.

The response in here so far makes me believe that no one who has answered believes that PPD or PPS actually exist and are an 'excuse.' I think what she did was horrible and am disgusted by it, but if she was suffering from PPS, she may very well have been convinced her children were evil, much in the way schizophrenics say that they see demons possessing people on the streets and are terrified. Psychotics are by no means logical or in control of what they do.

If someone had taken some interest in her and helped her help herself, she may have had treatment and her children would still be alive. So I believe that all the people in her life let her down and are partially responsible for what happened to those children.

I pity her more then anything and I'm sure the guilt she feels is worse then any punishment you could wish upon her.

Agreed. What I think most seem to confuse is Post-partum depression with post-partum PSYCHOSIS. These are two very different things. PPP is a very real thing. Which I suppose that's one positive thing to come out of this is that this is a very real condition.

However, like Dirge, it bugs me that all those around her did nothing to try to get her help. She and her husband were both told to not have any more children for her health and I do think the system did fail her when it came to her psychosis. Neglect, etc. should definitely be tacked onto the husband.

It wasn't just a simple "The devil made me do it" she had a serious, REAL condition. I suggest reading the differences between depression and psychosis on this one. I think the religious aspect is irrelevant.

The bottom line is my heart and sympathy go out to the children.  

lunashock

AQuAxXxScORP_62704

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:03 am
Those beautiful beings...
and she was able to drown them all,
with her hards.
I mean her children were abc's
(meaning their age gaps wasn't even too far from each other).
Capable of understanding
the daily stresses of being a mother
(makes me happy, only have one for now),
espcecially being stuck 24 hours,
at times no ends rest.
I don't understand why she was able to kill them;
depression I understand, been there...
and overcome my demons each time.
But I doubt she was mentally ill,
a vey lousy excuse get out of jail free card;
they should of just put her straight to the electric chair.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:45 pm
from my understanding of the case, the husband was at least aware that she was having some problems (although he may not have been aware of the extent of her issues)

why the hell did he leave her in charge of those children? surely he bears some responsibility considering he knew she wasn't right?  

Sanguinello

Archangel Lionheart

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:44 pm
Tenescowri
from my understanding of the case, the husband was at least aware that she was having some problems (although he may not have been aware of the extent of her issues)

why the hell did he leave her in charge of those children? surely he bears some responsibility considering he knew she wasn't right?

And why did they have so many when he knew she had problems after the first two. Thats another ticmeoff thats semi off subject, but still. They should've stopped as soon as she started having dilemas with kids. She should fry just because those were innocent children, and her own.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:23 pm
With the oldest being 7 years of age and supposedly her family knowing that she had mental problems, I can't understand why someone hadn't spoken or tried to do something before she killed all of the children she had. I've had 2 children and yes I was upset because I hated my body after giving birth, I was upset because it seemed that I could never get rested up, I was upset because I had to go back to work instead of being home with my baby, I was upset because I felt like I couldn't get help from anyone, I was upset because I had to go through the menstral thing all over again and deal with the cramping, bloating, irritability but to even think about doing harm to either of my children never came to mind. I personally don't believe in the Death Penalty but I do believe that a person that can take another life, especially the way she took her childrens lives should be in prison and if something was actually wrong with her then let her spend the rest of her life in a Mental Institution, but not be allowed to walk the streets.  

gorath64

21+

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff