Reply SCA Guild
Queer Eye goes Medieval

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xxDethWishxx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:09 pm
Ok. Did anyone see the new Queer Eye for the Straight Guy? I don't usually watch it but I do watch Project Runway and I saw an ad for the new Queer Eye and they were making over what I believe was an SCA member. They didn't come out and say SCA but I really think it was.

The guy (can't remember his real name), James Marshall (character name), in Rhode Island, wanted to propose to his girlfriend. It was a really cute episode. They Fab 5 were really leery of the whole medieval thing at first and made fun of a lot of it but by the end they commended the guy for being so awesome. They admitted to not understanding it and to looking down on him for being so active but through the course of the show saw how caring and devoted he was to his girlfriend and how the SCA, with its emphasis on chivalry and manners, helped bring that out.

It really was a great episode. I recommend seeing it if you haven't.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:26 pm
That's awesome! I can't believe I missed that!  

Arithrel
Crew

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:35 pm
From my sources, he's in MSR, not SCA.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:52 am
Dragostae
From my sources, he's in MSR, not SCA.

Oh ok. Well, they never said on the show. Maybe they didn't hae permission or something but it sounded like SCA so I guessed.

Even so, It was an awesome show. I was afraid that it was going to be an hour of making fun of it. Especially when they showed up in plastic viking hats and toy axes. But by the end, medieval reinactment was shown in a more positive light. I was pretty happy with it.  

xxDethWishxx

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:16 pm
I need to see that! I'd actually never heard of MSR before... how is it different from the SCA?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:37 pm
Hee! You know, one of my friend from my old local group had an idea, once, for an activity at an event..... French eye for the Viking Guy, or something like that. We all found the idea very amusing, but alas, nothing ever came of it.  

Imzy
Crew

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:12 pm
Llelwyn
I need to see that! I'd actually never heard of MSR before... how is it different from the SCA?

I went to their website, and they concentrate on the High Middle Ages (1000-1500) in Western Europe, which means that SCAdians who are out of that particular range (like me), are going to have to find a new persona.

They are also solely in the New York State region.

(http://www.kingdomofacre.com)  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:14 pm
Someone posted to my Yahoo list about that! I totally forgot about it! xp

I really wanted to see it, too. . .

Sunegami

Playful Nerd

22,040 Points
  • Pizza Party Attendee 500
  • 1000 High Score 100
  • OTP 200

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:01 pm
I saw it last night. It was pretty cute, but not as mind-blowingly awesome as I had hoped.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:46 pm
Does anybody know where this episode might be available online? I missed it and I'm curious  

[Atropa Belladonna]

xxDethWishxx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:56 pm
Llelwyn
I saw it last night. It was pretty cute, but not as mind-blowingly awesome as I had hoped.

I hear ya. I was happy that Medieval reinactment was portrayed in a good light but as for the guy; he looked better with the beard and long hair and the wardrobe was aweful. It was funny to watch Carson get all upidy when the guy's girlfriend called the clothes ugly. lol  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:36 pm
xxDethWishxx
Llelwyn

I hear ya. I was happy that Medieval reinactment was portrayed in a good light but as for the guy; he looked better with the beard and long hair and the wardrobe was aweful. It was funny to watch Carson get all upidy when the guy's girlfriend called the clothes ugly. lol
Carson SOMETIMES makes good choices... but not this time. Fugly, fugly clothes. I also agree that he looked much better with the long hair and beard combo.

I liked the way they redid his place, though.  

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items