Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KonstantinJ

1,250 Points
  • Piepitcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Heckler 50
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:41 pm
What are some big fabric no-nos? and what are the best types of fabric to use for garb?

i've read the newcomer's guide regarding it, but i want to know people's opinions from their experiences and stuff like that.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:25 pm
ummm... it all depends on what your persona is for one!! biggrin

i know that a few higher-class persona'd friends of mine use curtain material for their outfits!! and that seems to work well ... but other then that i'm not sure!! blaugh i usually just double check with people in my shire who have been doing it a while!! sweatdrop and i try to stick to colours that i know were used back then, but weren't TOO expensive back then (like ... staying away from purple!! rofl )  

Naito_Mitsukai

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:58 pm
It also depends on if you're going practical and on a budget, or if you're trying for hard-core accurate.

For most personas, linens and wools are excellent. However, not everyone can afford wool, or find much linen. There are imitation wools out there that have the look and feel for less than half the price. Flannel can also be a good choice for light weight kilts for those hot summer events. Rough weave cottons can also give a good look for less (and also breath wonderfully).

I've also had wonderful luck with the remnant rack of upholstry fabric. Don't ask me about what image patterns are period though... I usually just go for what looks nice and not too modern.

Fabrics to avoid: polyester, vinyl... pretty much anything synthetic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:41 pm
No prints! Heavens forbid! Also, as mentioned beforem nothing synthetic. Also, try to hide things like zippers, or ... dare I say it? ... velcro! try to use buttons or lacing ... also, many garments were made of pioeced material - they simply didn't have yards and yards of fabric 60 inches wide ... not unless they were exceptionally wealthy.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps. Good luck.  

Dammask

7,650 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Generous 100

Imzy
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:41 pm
Dammask
No prints! Heavens forbid! Also, as mentioned beforem nothing synthetic. Also, try to hide things like zippers, or ... dare I say it? ... velcro! try to use buttons or lacing ... also, many garments were made of pioeced material - they simply didn't have yards and yards of fabric 60 inches wide ... not unless they were exceptionally wealthy.

Welll.... I wouldn't say NO prints. But if you have to use something with a printed pattern due to budget constraints or what-have-you, use the three-foot-rule. If it looks good enough from three feet away, it's fair game. For instance, most plaid flannels (like someone mentioned earlier for a summer kilt) are printed. But from a few feet back, they LOOK woven. Also, stick to simple patterns that could, theoretically, have been done in the middle ages. Simple, repeating patterns. Think heraldically - a semi of (whatever)s is probably okay, but if it's a complex pattern with lots of colors and complicated designs, it's probably not really feasible for SCAdian use.

It all depends on how much of a period nazi you do (or don't) want to be.

As for myself, I find myself frequently raiding the $1-a-yard tables at my local Wal-Mart. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I don't, but if you keep your eyes open you can find some really wonderful stuff. Just make sure you test the feel of it. If it doesn't feel like plastic or polyester, it's probably okay. Cottons may not be exactly period, but they're what we've mundanely got the most to work with, and they tend to be the most affordable... plus they're a natural fiber, they breathe well, and they're comfortable.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:17 pm
Imzy
Dammask

Welll.... I wouldn't say NO prints. But if you have to use something with a printed pattern due to budget constraints or what-have-you, use the three-foot-rule. If it looks good enough from three feet away, it's fair game. For instance, most plaid flannels (like someone mentioned earlier for a summer kilt) are printed. But from a few feet back, they LOOK woven. Also, stick to simple patterns that could, theoretically, have been done in the middle ages. Simple, repeating patterns. Think heraldically - a semi of (whatever)s is probably okay, but if it's a complex pattern with lots of colors and complicated designs, it's probably not really feasible for SCAdian use.

It all depends on how much of a period nazi you do (or don't) want to be.

As for myself, I find myself frequently raiding the $1-a-yard tables at my local Wal-Mart. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I don't, but if you keep your eyes open you can find some really wonderful stuff. Just make sure you test the feel of it. If it doesn't feel like plastic or polyester, it's probably okay. Cottons may not be exactly period, but they're what we've mundanely got the most to work with, and they tend to be the most affordable... plus they're a natural fiber, they breathe well, and they're comfortable.

Agreed.

And some of us -aren't- period nazis. At Calontir's spring Coronation, there was someone in a nylon kimono, with the knot tied in front. Would I have said something to her?

Absolutely not.

The point is, people go to events for fun. Don't make them feel bad.

I love researching, and others love playing. Don't take the joy from those who love playing.  

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Imzy
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:26 pm
Dragostae

Agreed.

And some of us -aren't- period nazis. At Calontir's spring Coronation, there was someone in a nylon kimono, with the knot tied in front. Would I have said something to her?

Absolutely not.

The point is, people go to events for fun. Don't make them feel bad.

I love researching, and others love playing. Don't take the joy from those who love playing.

Exactly! I, myself, do minimal researching. I try to do something that looks period, and looks good, but if it's not exactly perfect, that's okay. I have a couple of dresses that I've made that started off with mundane patterns, which I then altered a bit because I didn't quite like them as they were. What I ended up with was something very nice and rather Italian Ren-ish. Would it pass muster in an A&S competition? Probably not. Particularly given that it's 100% machine stitched, even the trim. But does it look nice, and appear medieval? You betcha. smile

The main thing to remember is that the SCA requires that you make an ATTEMPT at period garb. It doesn't have to be fully documented and perfect, down to the thread count and fiber content.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:34 pm
Cotton actually is period for certain people and times, it was just VERY expensive since it was all imported from Egypt.  

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:29 am
Imzy
Exactly! I, myself, do minimal researching. I try to do something that looks period, and looks good, but if it's not exactly perfect, that's okay. I have a couple of dresses that I've made that started off with mundane patterns, which I then altered a bit because I didn't quite like them as they were. What I ended up with was something very nice and rather Italian Ren-ish. Would it pass muster in an A&S competition? Probably not. Particularly given that it's 100% machine stitched, even the trim. But does it look nice, and appear medieval? You betcha. smile

The main thing to remember is that the SCA requires that you make an ATTEMPT at period garb. It doesn't have to be fully documented and perfect, down to the thread count and fiber content.

And I'm a history geek, but I'm also on a severe budget crunch, so I try and get as close as I can (cotton that looks like linen, oh yeah!), mostly by going to garage sales. So, while I do the research, I try and get my East Roman persona as good looking as I can. It helps that I have friends at vestment companies. razz

The key phrase is the three-foot rule: If it looks good at three feet away, no one's really going to care. At least, the gentles that aren't garb nazis won't.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:15 pm
I found a wonderful on-line site for buying linen and linen blends in a variety of weights and colors. Prices are very reasonable too. You can find it at http://www.fabrics-store.com/ AND they will send you free swatches of the material if you want to actually feel it before buying it!  

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:22 am
Dragostae
Imzy

And I'm a history geek, but I'm also on a severe budget crunch, so I try and get as close as I can (cotton that looks like linen, oh yeah!), mostly by going to garage sales. So, while I do the research, I try and get my East Roman persona as good looking as I can. It helps that I have friends at vestment companies. razz

The key phrase is the three-foot rule: If it looks good at three feet away, no one's really going to care. At least, the gentles that aren't garb nazis won't.

haha, I always got either '5 foot rule' or '10 foot rule' rofl It all depends how closly you're standing to the royalty!! lol just kidding!! rofl  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:22 pm
Spandex is a no-no for everyone. I know it may seem odd, but I've seen people make garb out of spandex or high-spandex mixes. They're really hard to work with and hot to wear. Polyester's easy to work with but really unpleasent for outdoor events--and how many indoor events do you go to? Check bolts for words like "flammable" if you're the cozy-up-near-a-fire type. I like jacquard, linins, and silks. A lof of upholstry or home-dec fabrics are excellent for garb, especially court garb and later-period offerings. Make sure if you use home-dec fabric it doesn't have a weather sealant on it (the back will be plastic or feel waxy). If it does, it'll 100% prevent the garment from breathing, and make it really nasty when you sweat (and you will).

Never underestimate the usefulness of 100% cotton. It's a bit too stiff for some garments, but it's great for most basic items.

Edit:

Also amazingly useful are thrift stores. Sheets and curtains can be bought very cheaply to make, for example, a $3 egyptian cotton chemise (which can be bought for upwards of $40).  

[Atropa Belladonna]

Imzy
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:35 pm
[Atropa Belladonna]
Spandex is a no-no for everyone. I know it may seem odd, but I've seen people make garb out of spandex or high-spandex mixes. They're really hard to work with and hot to wear. Polyester's easy to work with but really unpleasent for outdoor events--and how many indoor events do you go to? Check bolts for words like "flammable" if you're the cozy-up-near-a-fire type. I like jacquard, linins, and silks. A lof of upholstry or home-dec fabrics are excellent for garb, especially court garb and later-period offerings. Make sure if you use home-dec fabric it doesn't have a weather sealant on it (the back will be plastic or feel waxy). If it does, it'll 100% prevent the garment from breathing, and make it really nasty when you sweat (and you will).

Never underestimate the usefulness of 100% cotton. It's a bit too stiff for some garments, but it's great for most basic items.

Edit:

Also amazingly useful are thrift stores. Sheets and curtains can be bought very cheaply to make, for example, a $3 egyptian cotton chemise (which can be bought for upwards of $40).

Hee. I have to agree there. I have a lovely red cotton velvet Italian Ren gown.... made from a bedspread my mom pickedup at a thrift store for a dollar. =)  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:04 pm
Naito_Mitsukai
Dragostae
Imzy

haha, I always got either '5 foot rule' or '10 foot rule' rofl It all depends how closly you're standing to the royalty!! lol just kidding!! rofl

I did theatre. We had the three foot rule. Anything past that point, distance-wise, was great.  

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
SCA Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers