Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Writing on the Wall

Back to Guilds

Are you literate? Do you write poetry, short stories, long stories, prose, roleplays. . . anything? Share your talent with the world! 

Tags: Writing, Poetry, Prose, Stories, RolePlay 

Reply The Writing on the Wall
Publishing...?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pup in Fluff
Captain

Invisible Sex Symbol

8,475 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:42 pm
I know a lot of people in TWOTW want to get a book of theirs published but are not exactly sure how. In this thread, I, along with people who have actually gotten a book published and/or have sent a book in to a publishing company, will tell you how to do this and give you some helpful hints! If you have any questions about editing, publishing, or anything at all, post them here and they will get answered!  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:28 pm
How do you format a manuscript? Is it the same type of thing you always had to do in high school, double spaced with a title page? I think I heard somewhere that you're not supposed to fold them up, but send them in one of those large orange envelopes, is that correct?  

Zenai_Metos

Pup in Fluff
Captain

Invisible Sex Symbol

8,475 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:32 pm
It is correct but there's so much more. You have to have the page numbers at the top of the page and the title of the story in a header on every page. As for how much you send in, some companies want the first few chapters and will ask for the rest if they're interested while others want the whole thing and want a chapter-by-chapter summary. Make sure you find out what company you're sending it in to and find out exactly what they want.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:33 pm
Oh yeah...most companies also prefer it in size 12 Times New Roman font. But, again, it depends what the company asks for.  

Pup in Fluff
Captain

Invisible Sex Symbol

8,475 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200

Zenai_Metos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:51 pm
Thank you very much!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:13 pm
+Doesn't look very appetizing

This really isn't about publishing, but more of having a copy-right on your work. If you go here, you will be taken to the U.S Copyright Office website. It will take you step by step through everything, and will even give you the form for you so you can send in your work to be copyrighted. I found this site after long hours of research on publishing and copyrighting. So check it out if you are interested. Glad to help anyone with a dream.

Well, it's no irritable grizzly+

Soul of Solitude

Overworkedandunderpaid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:00 am
Just a quick question, how many A4 pages should there be in a chapter?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:47 am
Hello! This was just to say that if you're wanting to publish, but not sure where to look, try looking in Writer's Market. It is a yearly publication full of agencies. It is broken up into genre and also has a section on magazines that'll publish your work. I find it helpful because beneath each agency it has a description of what kind of itinerary they look for (fantasy, horror, romance.) Quite helpful read that should be at the library. smile  

CocoReed

The Writing on the Wall

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff