Reply The Physics and Mathematics Guild
INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nonameladyofsins

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:30 pm
hiya, this is for introductions, if you're new to the guild please provide us with a little bit of information about yourself.

You might want to include your background in physics, are you a high school student, undegrad, grad, professional? What is your area of expertise/interest?

Anectodes about how and why you developed interest in physics will be appriciated.

Also, if you'd like to advertise for the Physics and Math Guild, here's our Ad, simply quote me and copy past it in your sig.

there are two, they come with a link to the guild.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

or
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:43 pm
Hi, my name is Nat and I just finished second year physics. I am interested in high energy physics or particle physics, and hopefully will one day become a researcher and maybe a prof.

I've read several general books on physics which you might as well have, my list includes: In Search of Shroedinger's Cat, A Brief History of Time, and Hyperspace, and have partially gone through the Feynman Lectures. I've also taken course in Special Relativity and Intro to Quantum Mechanics.

I am currently working in a hospital assisting a physics grad student in MRI imaging, though so far it's more programming than anything. But it is still the best job I've had so far.  

nonameladyofsins

Tautolog

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:30 pm
Well, I guess I'm one of the few members of the guild at the moment...

So I'm Tautolog. I'm a college student at Brigham Young University, and I've completed my first year of Mechanical Engineering courses. I'm not as much of a physics junkie as Poweroutage here, and I absolutely loathe most parts of chemistry, but I can crunch numbers like a champion.

I'm pretty college-centered, but I'm taking a couple years off of school to go on a trip to Europe. I'm always up for a little scientific discussion, and I guess I can help with math up to Calculus 3 and Linear Algebra, though I'm plagued by boughts of depressed laziness, so be thou wary.

Right now my biggest interest is in the physics of Materials, and I'm making attempts to pursue an interest in Rocketry.  
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:48 pm
Currently I'm in my last year of high school, once I graduate I'll likely (after a break of course), be looking at a computer course, although it would be nice to at least have a year or two of physics in there.

I am interested in physics, and try to find out some more about the things I'm interested in.
I was also made it to the final stage of selection for the aussie team for APhO and later IPhO (Asian and International Physics Olympiads respectively), and as part of it spend some time during january having the tutors try to cram all our brains with lots of physics. I have since forgotten a lot, but the work was supposed to be on par with towards the end of first year uni.

Thanks to the physics olympiad stuff, I am also familiar with the more prosaic parts of physics, such as classical mechanics, thermo and fluid dynamics, etc.

Unfortunately, my maths is abysmal however.

I wish to state now as well that the Australian education system is horrible.  

Dave the lost

rugged

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:30 am
My Username, as you no doubt are aware, is rugged.
Though you may all call me phil 3nodding

I'm 17 and currently live in the South East of England, where I frantically prepare for my A-level Exams....
Concequently, I am little more than a Scientist-in-training, so I'll likely have a good deal of questions to ask all you proffesionals out there... sweatdrop

None the less, my comprehension of simple Physics, however, isn't bad for someone my age, and I've got a good deal of ideas to bring to here.

Hope we can get along,
~rugged~  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:46 am
I am presently majoring in physics, methematics, and computer science at Drexel University. I have completed 2 years and am presently employed by the university on a research project (BASIN) as a scientific programmer.

My primary areas of interest are astrophysics, solid state physics, ultra-low temperature physics, nanotechnology, and quantum computing. I also have a pssing interest in particle physics.

My interest in physics originated farther back than I can remember and I have been studying it since whenever the interest developed.

So, hello everyone.  

Beyond_Oblivion

ZoraiBarosk

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:01 pm
I, ZuraiBarusk for reasons unknown the space button wasn't capable of separating my name upon avatar creation. Most call me Z though.

I'm currently on my first year of college and have planned upon taking my frist class of physics now along with my secondary pre-calculus course. Out of the sciences physics was always my most well loved, simply since I see as a more practical and hands on science than, well, Biology.

I preffer to look at physics not for the hypothetical situations which may arise with trying to impose a geometric grid onto the universe, but for the real life experiments and knowledges that have made life easier to live. From simple machines to fusion reactors I think of physics as a means to put calculus into practical use and out of the theories of the notebook and lab journals. Though has something to do with my philosophical background it is also because I like making big things that work, like a trebuchet that if loaded properly could easily destroy a minivan. cool Oh well, I've a wide range of knowledge and I'll put in my two cents whenever I see a propper slot for them.  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:22 pm
I'm Jeff, a sixteen year old high school student.

I plan on majoring in mathematics and minoring in physics. I like to think I know things(but I know I don't.) I am mostly interested in the mathematics involved in physics, though some of the philosophy tied in with it draws my interest as well. I haven't even had more than an introduction of formal schooling in physics, but I have gone on tangents of my own every now and then to learn.  

ZigguratII

ANTON_T3H_FOXX

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:00 pm
I feel so naive. I'm an eighth-grader redface at a local, public, middle school here in CA. I'm not even in the advanced science class (although I am in Algebra I). I have been spending most of my time reading through the Science and Technology subforums in ED so I should have a few questions and ideas. xp  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:48 am
ANTON_T3H_FOXX
I feel so naive. I'm an eighth-grader redface at a local, public, middle school here in CA. I'm not even in the advanced science class (although I am in Algebra I). I have been spending most of my time reading through the Science and Technology subforums in ED so I should have a few questions and ideas. xp

Don't worry, this is the perfect place to do that.  

nonameladyofsins

QuinnBW

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:02 pm
As you can see , thru the magic of reflecting light , my name is QuinnBW .
I have no real back ground in physics but I love the subject. I hope that I can learn from you and contribute to the guild
oh and im English

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:14 pm
Following the rest, my username is CodeLabMaster. This is often shortened down to Code or CLM, so feel free to join the trend and call me either of those as you please.

Now, to not follow the trend: I'm a 16 year old in my second year of highschool in MO. My interests lie deeply within mathematics. I am stuck in Geometry right now, but next year, I am skipping Trigonometry, Advanced Algebra, and Pre Calc so I can go straight into Calculus. The former courses I found easy enough to learn on my own, and after I took the finals or all of them, my school gave me permission to go ahead with Calc. I may end up skipping High School Physics as well because I was recently given a college level physics book from my brother-in-law, and I've been reading it non-stop. I like to think outside the box, reinvent the wheel, and I'm a perfectionist which all adds to my akward disposition.

Since an early age, I've loved computers and have harnessed that affection into cold, hard skill. I occasionally hack, but spend most of my time on the computer using the internet or programming; however, I try to spend as little time on the computer as possible so I can be outside with my friends.

I'm easily fascinated and something as small as a flower a half a mile into the woods could cause me to hike a half a mile back out of the woods, and maybe another couple miles back to my house just to retrieve a sketch book and some pencils, then hike back. Because of this trait, I've often been called an 'absent minded professor' which I find awfully humorous and don't deny it.

Right now, I'm studying ballistic physics and would be happy to give/recieve help concerning it, as well as freely discuss my programming with it. I'm making a small, flash-based video game right now, and decided to make a full blown physics engine for it, so I have plenty to discuss.

I love chatting to others, RPing, watching anime, listening to music, destroying the world, and other happy things. If you have a question for me, feel free to ask.  

CodeLabMaster

nonameladyofsins

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:42 am
QuinnBW
As you can see , thru the magic of reflecting light , my name is QuinnBW .
I have no real back ground in physics but I love the subject. I hope that I can learn from you and contribute to the guild
oh and im English

bonus points for being English. xd j/k  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:06 am
Hi, I'm Aurora. I'm 19 years old(20 on Monday!... *sob*), and I'm a freshman at Drew University.

I took Physics last year at my high school, and had an A+ the entire year, so I thought I was pretty good at it- was even gonna major in it.

But when I got to Drew, and took University Physics 12... Well, let's just say I had to drop the course *runs away in embarrassment*. Yeah.... It might be because I totally suck at math, and my stupid advisor put me into Physics 12 instead of 2, even though I've never had Calc before- and the course was based completely off of Calculus. I don't know. I'm afraid to take another Physics course, even though I need it to get into med. school.

Anyway, I didn't even really like that course, no offense to any of you people who like thermodynamics, or something... I like Astrophysics- and yes, I know it has to do with a lot more math than general physics, like the course I had to drop, but for some odd reason, I get it. I've been involved with Astronomy and Astrophysics for as long as I can remember(which is when I was 3, and learned how to read, and my father took me to all these different meetings for organizations he was in, and forced me to read Sky and Telescope and then later journals on Astrophysics...). So, now that I'm not forced into reading the stuff, I actually enjoy it, and subsribe to like 3 different Astrophysics journals, and to Sky and Telescope. And I've read tons of books on astrophysics too. So, I guess I can contribute to this guild, as long as it doesn't involve regular Physics, because I've been hooked on Astrophysics since God knows when, and understand pretty much all I read about it.

Okay, now that that embarrassment is over... Well, obviously I do other stuff besides astronomy and astrophysics- didn't used to, but starting last year, I've gotten more of a social life. I like to hang out with my friends, and when they're busy, I like to RP, or watch anime(ie Naruto). I also draw, sing, and play the cello. Anything else ya wanna know, you can just ask.

Well, thank you for inviting me to the Guild!! It's awesome meeting all of you, and I hope we can all become great friends and learn lots from each other.
biggrin  

Aurora Marija

Vannak

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:36 am
I'm vannak.

I'ma sophomore.

I don't know much physics, in terms of equations.

But I'm awesome anyways.  
The Physics and Mathematics Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces