Eating outdoors at events:
  I eat like a pig all day long.
  I'm too busy at tourneys to eat.
  Maybe yes, maybe no.
  Just gimme the gold.
View Results

choco meijin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:24 pm
What sort of food do you like to take to an outdoor event? Is there some favorite that doesn't need refrigeration or heating? Do you like to just nibble during the day and dine substantially later? Does your group do a potluck?

How about drinkables; there is a real hazard of dehydration if you don't get enough liquid. But I hate the way my Pepsi can looks, eew. Any suggestions?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:43 pm
For food, I always bring along dried fruits, buns, cheese, and sliced meat. Things like nuts and pickles keep well too. I'm a rapier fighter, so my major form of drinkable is good old H2O, along with some gatorade to keep the electrolytes up. When I'm not fighting, I put juice or coffee in my tankard.  

Arithrel
Crew

dkpalmer

Friendly Genius

4,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:49 am
I like to bring bread, cheese, cooked chicken pieces, Polish sausage chunks, carrot sticks, apples, grapes. I've found that I can pre-bake ham and cheese Hot Pockets and pass them off as pasties, and they taste almost as good cold.

I like lemonade at an event, and usually carry a tankard for it. I need to either get small tankards for my smalls this year, or find a way to conceal sippy cups (when it was bottles, I didn't care as much).  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:07 pm
At one day outdoor events, I don't really bring anything but some water. At camping events, I bring normal camping food. Popcorn seeds, granola bars, fruit, carrots, bread, hot dogs, etc. I also like to treat my friends to pistachio bread (which is more like a cake with cinnamon swirls), which I make myself. For drinks, anything that can be mixed with water in a big tub. (ex. iced tea mix, lemonade mix) That way, if other people camping with you forget to bring drinks, there's always a lot to be had. mrgreen  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

choco meijin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:09 pm
I'm getting hungry reading about all the good things to eat.
Is pistachio bread hard to make?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:29 pm
choco meijin
What sort of food do you like to take to an outdoor event? Is there some favorite that doesn't need refrigeration or heating? Do you like to just nibble during the day and dine substantially later? Does your group do a potluck?

How about drinkables; there is a real hazard of dehydration if you don't get enough liquid. But I hate the way my Pepsi can looks, eew. Any suggestions?
Refrigeration is defeated by coolers. Cook everything beforehand and dump it in a cooler. Even milk will keep for a day or two in a cooler.

I tend to nibble before fighting, eat a midsized meal afterward, and nibble again at an after-revel if there is one, or just have dinner when I get home. My group often provides bag lunches, to include gummi snacks, cookies, boiled eggs, fruit, and some kind of breaded thing.

Figure that an average person in mundane life ideally should drink 1 gallon of water per day. Subtract air conditioning, add sun, and add activity. If you're not drinking 1-1/2 or even 2 gallons per day, you are at risk of illness. I myself make carbonated drinks "illegal" at events--they just dehydrate me--but if you drink them, remember two things: everything looks good in a tankard or horn, and if you drink one unit of soda or alcohol, drink two units of water.  

Not-So-Sweet Transvestite

Hyratel Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:22 am
on keeping things cold:
we have this ancient coleman cooler, green painted steel shell, I think it is called a '7-day' coler, but at the end of pennsic, with only the ice we got on the way up, we had to chip stuff loose from the ice in the bottom! Some of the melt-water actually re-froze.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:04 am
choco meijin
I'm getting hungry reading about all the good things to eat.
Is pistachio bread hard to make?

Nope! In fact, here's the recipe: (it's not period, but we can pretend!)

1 package golden butter cake mix
1 package pistachio pudding
8 oz. sour cream
4 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vegatable oil

mix cake mix and pudding till consistently green. Beat eggs, then add to dry ingredients with sour cream. Mix in vegatable oil till smooth. Slowly mix in water.

mix brown sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl, set aside.

grease 2 medium sized bread pans. pour pistachio mixture till both pans are 1/4 full. sprinkle cinnamon mixture on top. pour the rest of the pistachio mix into both pans (but don't let the pans get more than 2/3 full). sprinkle remaining cinnamon mix on top. bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

I'm pretty sure that's correct, but I'm doing this from memory. If it's wrong, I'll come back and correct it in red.  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:34 pm
my group has feast at its events or a potluck set up...so...I eat when food is being served, help clean up and run around helping as I can all the rest of the time  
SCA Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games