Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Circle of Life: D&D 5th Campaign Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:24 pm
I made it my new year's resolution to get this campaign that I've been bouncing around in my head going. This setting is pretty much homebrew and things may not work as expected.

[ Character Sheets ]

[ Setting Information/Background ]
The world of Heim is a paradise. Edible food drops at one's feet, if needed. Winter is indistinguishable from Summer and Fall is as Spring. Almost everyday is perfect. Though the sky is starless at night, many plants are biolumenescent and it is often lit as if it were dusk.

In the time of myth and legends, the Old Ones brought many of the races to Heim from lands beyond the darkness and that there was a Golden Age where life was even greater than what it was now. The ruins of the far distance speak to that. Marvels were an everyday occurance and even the least member of society had untold power.

Heim, while ideal, has fallen far from that. Massive Varvemar tribes jockey for power while the Klishtesh scurry out at night, seeking to claim blood for their hives. The humans fortify their holdings and the other races dwindle. Things may be coming to a head soon to determine who is left.

...but that is not our problem now. Kesera Grae-Gin is the widowed matriarch of the Broken Horn pack of the Varvemar and must bury her mate. Ulnoth Grae-Gin was an accomplished Chief and it is her desire to bury him along side their ancestors with the fanfare and pomp that his accomplishments in life demands. Towards this end, Kesera needs artisans of all stripes to make works that comemorate Ulnoth's life and guards to protect them on the long journey to the ancient burial grounds of the Gin clan. The Mother of the Imperial Cults has endorsed this and will be travelling alongside Kesera's caravan to officiate the rites neccessary. Needless to say, the pay is VERY good and the Broken Horn pack tend to favor talent.

[ Character Creation ]
Standard for D&D 5th Edition

Available Sources:
D&D 5th Edition Core books
Elemental Evil Player's Companion

Banned Resources:
Anything else, really.

ECL: 3
Gold: Standard
Races:

• Bizhen: The Bizhen are human-like plants that live in the deepest forests of the world. Long lived, the Bizhen are expert merchants and masters of the forest. When Bizhen age, they get larger and slower. It is said that the oldest Bizhen have seen the beginning of time and are tens of feet tall. Use Half-Elf stats

• Glaur: Seemingly hewn from stone, the Glaur are smiths for the Varvemar. The sexless creatures sometimes shed brilliant crystals, which they incorperate into their creations. They are a race in decline. When two die, only one is born. Use Dwarf stats.

• Beteben: The Beteben are small, inquisitive fox-like creatures who seem unable to escape the lure of experimentation and academic study. They are found in all communities in pursuit of various goals. They can interbreed with the Varvemar, although the result is always a Varvemari litter. Use Rock Gnome stats.

• Humans: Humans live in seven kingdoms surrounding giant mountains. They do humany things and live humany lives. Use Human racial stats.

• Tieflings: Tieflings are humans who have made a pact with...something. Not as extensive as a Warlock pact. The Offspring of humans and tieflings are humans. They find their way into the upper echelons of human society. Use Tiefling stats.

• Aasimar and Genasi: These plane-touched are much like Tieflings. They've done something that has gained the favor of an elemental power. They are more trusted than Tieflings due to the fact that the agencies they have been shown favor by are much more relatable.

• Varvemar: The Varvemar are wolf-like canids who live in strict, warlike packs that dominate the majority of Heim. The Varvemar claim to be the children of the Old Ones, but no one believes them. Most consider them domineering savages. The Varvemar love their cousins the Beteben and will often do things for them that they would never consider for others. They dislike to humans and hate tieflings. Use Half-orc stats.

Ability Scores*: Point buy (27 points), Array or roll 4d6 drop lowest six times.
    xxxxxxxxxx*
    Hit Points: Random or half +1
    Alignments: Standard
    Pantheon:
  • The Imperial Cult: The Imperial Cult consists of a pantheon of past emperors of the Old Ones. Factions allied to the Varvemari tend to worship them. For rules purposes make up a name and give it a domain and off you go. EG Kiir the Mother would have the domain of life....although all have a war aspect to them. Alternately , the priest may choose to venerate the pantheon as a whole. The Mother is the guiding force behind the Imperial Cults. The small, oddly furred Betaben is considered by many to be the spirit of the Vemari packs and is treated with great reverence.

• The Elemental Orders: The Elemental Orders are mostly followed by the Human allied factions and especially Genasi. The four elements are Air, Water, Earth, and Wind. For Role play purposes, choose any domain you wish and any element you wish. The domain you choose will be flavored by the element you choose. For example, an Earth Acolyte with the Tempest domain would see his abilities be based around dust storms and the like. a Water based light domain acolyte would see her abilties manifest in water crystals and the like.

• Druids: Druids attempt to steward nature, but many of the aspects seem off to those who are called to Druidry. Many druids go mad as they advance in their understanding of the world. There are no moon based paths or powers as Heim lacks a moon.

• Backgrounds:
    Any
    [ House/Optional Rules ]

1] Metal equipment is hard to come by and usually made from reclaimed materials of the past age. Beyond character creation, metal items are 2x+ the list price. Abuse of this will be frowned upon.

• PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:53 pm
    You say Core books, but some of those races are from Volos (aasimar) and some races, (goliaths) are missing from your lineup.

Are you allowing Volos in addition to the normal core (phb, dmg, mm) and are Goliaths playable?  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
    • Beta Critic 0
    • Object of Affection 150
    • 50 Wins 150

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
    • Battle Hardened 150
    • Team Jacob 100
    • Bunny Hunter 100
    PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:52 pm
    Aasimar is in DM's guide and Goliaths might be a thing later. Are the races from Elemental Evil in Volo's as well?  
    PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:52 pm
    I don't know about Evils guide, and not really interested at the moment.

But, Volo's has
    Aasimar
    Firebolg
    Golith
    Kenku
    Lizardfolk
    Tabaxi
    Triton  

Southern Cross Nemesis
    Vice Captain

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
    • Battle Hardened 150
    • Team Jacob 100
    • Bunny Hunter 100
    PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:13 pm
    A quick point to make is that these are all analogs, except for the humans and the plane touched.. There are no gnomes. Beteben just happen to use the stats as gnomes. For example.

As for the Elemental Evil Player's Companion...

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/145542/Elemental-Evil-Players-Companion-5e  
    PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:33 pm
    Perhaps I misunderstood something about the sheet. The races I have listed are the races allowed. The rules allowed are from the rules sets I have listed.  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
    • Battle Hardened 150
    • Team Jacob 100
    • Bunny Hunter 100

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
    • Beta Critic 0
    • 50 Wins 150
    PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:53 pm
    Alright. So the unofficial Aasimar that was presented as a "this is a thing you could do" and not the fully published Aasimar from Volos that are their own thing instead of modified tieflings. Got it.  
    PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:28 pm
    Odd question; What period are you aiming for?

I mean normal DND games humanity are about medieval-ish technology. With metalsmithing being an honorable profession given in most towns. Outside the fall of Rome, I can't think of a period of time where that wasn't the case.  

Southern Cross Nemesis
    Vice Captain

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
    • Battle Hardened 150
    • Team Jacob 100
    • Bunny Hunter 100
    PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:04 pm
    It's more the setting than the period. Metal can be had, but it's not cheap or easy to get. Think approximately early republic or maybe kingdom Rome for the Humans, Tribal for most others. Humans can mine their mountains. Other Tribes either get it from Humans or the Glaur who get it from the ruins of the cities that were populated by the Old Ones.  
    PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:13 am
    Just noticed, "No Moon Druids" Are there any other class archetype not allowed?
    And Humans are the +1 to all stats kind, or are the variants allowed?  

Southern Cross Nemesis
    Vice Captain

Kowsauni
    Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 am
    Could you give more of a description what your custom races physically look like?  
    PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:06 am
    For instance, are the gnome/halfling people still small creatures

Also, as Tasha's isn't on the list, I assume that means that the class rebalancing and expanded spell list from that book is not in play either? Including Wizards of the Coast's new ruling about racial ability modifiers?

Are you aware of 5etools.com? It could be a good solution if you lack books.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
    • Beta Critic 0
    • 50 Wins 150

Abbyqween

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:42 am
    How would someone apply for the game?  
    PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:12 am
    Abbyqween
    How would someone apply for the game?

That one is simple, create a character. If the DM approves you in, the game limit is 5 players though.

We mostly use myth weavers for sheets, but other sites have 5e sheets.

If you have any questions, ask them. Either here or on Discord, someone would be happy to help.  

Southern Cross Nemesis
    Vice Captain

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
    • Battle Hardened 150
    • Team Jacob 100
    • Bunny Hunter 100
    PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:14 am
    @ Pupsage: I'm sticking to core for my sake right now. As I get my DM feet under me, I'll look at more things and balance/interpret them into the setting. It wouldn't be fun for either of us if I had to veto a spell or power during a critical time because I overlooked it amid the seas of things I'm not really familiar with.. Please bear with me.

@Abbyqween As they say. Roll 6 sets of 4d6 through the dice roller on Gaia or use the array system (assign 15,14,13,12,10,8 to attributes as your character needs) Although I bet you would want to wait on race descriptions and the like. I am in discord, although I have the channel on mute. That doesn't stop you from DMing me if you need to, does it? Also, I have added the point buy system to the allowed methods of attribute generation.

@Kowasauni: Right on it!  
    The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
    Other Stuff
    Get GCash
    Offers
    Get Items
    More Items
    Where Everyone Hangs Out
    Other Community Areas
    Virtual Spaces