Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ministry of Magic & the Wizarding World

Back to Guilds

Live the life of a wizard! Based on J.K. Rowling's books, this guild focuses on the Ministry of Magic and everyday life. Open and accepting! 

Tags: roleplay, J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter, Ministry of Magic, Wizarding World 

Reply Diagon Alley
Thanks A Brunch ~ OPEN And Hiring! Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:30 pm

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Thanks A Brunch is a breakfast and brunch restaurant located next door to I Like You A Latte in Diagon alley.
Serving breakfast recipes all morning and mid-afternoon.
Cocktails served after 10 am
Owl ahead for parties over 10

NOW HIRING
Waitstaff
(drink-making experience preferred)

Hours
6am to 2pm
Wednesday - Sunday
Closed Monday & Tuesday

Employees
Wait Staff:
Wait Staff:
Chef: Shui Quan (Owner)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:42 pm
Menu

CAFÉ BREAKFAST
2 Galleons 10 Sickles
Free-range scrambled, poached or fried eggs, bacon, sausage, hot buttered mushrooms and baked beans, served with sourdough toast

CAFÉ VEGETARIAN BREAKFAST
2 Galleons
Free-range scrambled, poached or fried eggs, vegetarian sausage, hot buttered mushrooms, baked beans and grilled tomatoes, served with sourdough toast

FREE-RANGE SCRAMBLED, POACHED OR FRIED EGGS WITH:
Grilled tomatoes 1 Galleon
Bacon and grilled tomatoes 1 Galleon 7 Sickles
Smoked salmon and grilled tomatoes 2 Galleons
(All served with sourdough toast)

BACON BAP
1 Galleon 6 sickles
Crispy bacon in a freshly baked, hand-crafted bap with a salad garnish

BREAKFAST BAP
2 Galleons
the full works – bacon, sausage and fried egg

SPINACH, MUSHROOM AND TOMATO GRILL
1 Galleon
Spinach, roasted field mushrooms and grilled tomatoes stacked on toasted sourdough bread with a reduced balsamic dressing – vegan

AVOCADO TOAST
1 Galleon 11 Sickles
Sourdough topped with pesto, cherry tomatoes and savoury roasted seeds

BEANS ON TOAST
1 Galleon
The old favourite – on buttered sourdough

GRANOLA
13 Sickles
Served with fresh fruit, Greek yoghurt and honey

YUMMY, SCRUMMY PORRIDGE
1 Galleon 10 Sickles
Topped with toasted hazelnuts, flaked almonds and honey

MAPLE BERRY WAFFLES
2 Galleons
Belgian style waffles with berries and maple syrup

BACON AND EGG WAFFLES
2 Galleons
Waffles with poached or fried eggs, crispy bacon and maple syrup

SURFER'S OMELETTE
3 Galleons
3 eggs, lobster, pepper Jack, mushrooms, diced tomatoes, red onions, topped with lobster bisque

RANCHER OMELETTE
2 Galleons
3 eggs, pepperoni, ham, sausage, smoked cheddar, spinach, black beans, red onions

STEAK OMELETTE
2 Galleon
3 eggs, shaved steak, provolone, mushrooms, green pepper, red onions

MEDITERRANEAN OMELETTE
2 Galleon
3 eggs, feta, spinach, fire-roasted red pepper, tomatoes, black olives, red onions

DRINKS:

MILK
5 Sickles

JUICE
6 Sickles

COFFEE
6 Sickles

ICE TEA sweet or unsweetened
5 Sickles

GREAT RIFT ENGLISH BREAKFAST TEA
11 Sickles

PFUNDA EARL GREY
11 Sickles

PEPPERMINT
11 Sickles

LEMONGRASS & GINGER
11 Sickles

CAMOMILE
11 Sickles

RED BERRY INFUSION
11 Sickles

ORGANIC REDBUSH
11 Sickles

BRUNCH COCKTAILS
served after 10a

WARM BLUEBERRY PANCAKE served warm
1 Galleon 10 Sickles
Blueberry infused bourbon, maple syrup, walnut bitters, lemon & butter wash

STRAWBERRY SMASH
1 Galleon 5 Sickles
Honey, strawberry-rhubarb preserves, lemon juice, rosemary, orange zest, gin & seltzer

COOL BEANS
1 Galleon 13 Sickles
Roasted Cherry Vanilla Cold Brew, brown sugar vodka and cream

MARMALADE MULE
1 Galleon 5 Sickles
Marmalade preserves, vodka, lemon juice, simple syrup & ginger beer

CLASSIC MIMOSA
1 Galleon
Champagne and fresh orange juice served with an orange slice.

BLOODY MARY
1 Galleon
Vodka, tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, spices, and lemon and lime juice. Garnished with celery stalk and lemon wedge

SANGRIA
1 Galleon
Made with seasonal fruits sweetened with sugar and orange juice and finished with red wine

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:40 pm

Things aren't easy
                                                                  So just believe me now
                                                                  If you can keep it cool now
                                                                  And never make a sound.

Shui was feeling a bit surreal. He had saved any extra money that didn't go to the bare essentials and some help from family and he was here in his own little restaurant. He had chosen a name to play off his neighbor business, a bit of fun he hoped. He had finished figuring out the layout and was setting up the last bits of the dining room when here took a proud look around. His parents helped him score the furniture at a great discount and even helped get it here. He'd have to make sure once he was up and running to have them here to try all the recipes he had made for the menu. He had some final supply need to fulfill but that can wait for now. He wanted to enjoy his new place!

All the lights will guide the way
                                                                                  If you get to hear me now
                                                                                  All the fears will fade away
                                                                                  Cara MiaKitty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:51 pm
User ImageUser Image

═════════════════════════════════════════════
                                                  ѕσмєтιмєѕ ιт'ѕ нαя∂ тσ fιи∂ тнє ωσя∂ѕ тσ ѕαу
                                                  ι'ℓℓ gσ αнєα∂ αи∂ ѕαу тнєм αиуωαу
                                                  fσяgєт уσυя вαℓℓѕ αи∂ gяσω α ραιя σf тιтѕ
                                                  ιт'ѕ нαя∂, ιт'ѕ нαя∂, ιт'ѕ нαя∂ συт нєяє fσя α вιт¢н

spaceWhen the empty shop next door had gotten purchased (or rented, whatever), Gwen had been relieved. Empty shops did not make the shops next door look good, and business for the coffeeshop, while fine, could always be better. Neighboring businesses meant more stuff for people walking up and down Diagon to have their attention snagged by, meant more eyes on her own shop, meant more customers. All good news for her and her bottom line.

spaceWhen it had become evident that what was going in next door was some sort of restaurant, she had been... concerned. Neighboring businesses were only helpful if they weren't direct competition, after all. She served food; she didn't need another place serving food right next door. But, she was primarily a coffeeshop, at least officially (most revenue was from upselling, and upselling was done with food, but coffee was the reason for the initial attention usually). So, she told herself it was fine.

spaceWhen the sign, however, had gone up, and declared the place a damned brunch restaurant of all things, she had very nearly screamed bloody murder right there in the middle of the street, and followed it up with a good old-fashioned window-smashing for good measure.

spaceIt had taken everything in her, and a lot of coaxing from Yeni, to calm her down enough to be anything approaching reasonable about this. She was still not quite at 'reasonable', but she had dialed it back from 'about to commit a felony or two', so that was progress. So she'd insisted, anyway, before coming up with her plan to march over to the new place and give the owner a piece of her bloody mind. Yeni still wasn't thrilled about it, but she'd failed to talk Gwen down, and so, now, here she was, outside the damned brunch restaurant that had the audacity to exist right next door to her coffeeshop.

spaceGoddammit, she'd been so close to becoming an institution around here. So she'd claimed, anyway.

spaceNoticing movement inside the shop, Gwen straightened her spine, squared her shoulders, and checked the door. To her slight surprise and extreme (malicious) glee, it was open. She grinned (also maliciously), and pushed into the new space. As she took it in, she schooled her expression into an impressive sneer. It was, frankly, pretty quaint, which was all find and dandy except that her coffeeshop was already quaint (despite her best efforts; Yenifer had been in charge of that, dammit), and she had no desire to be ignored in favor of it.

space"This," she intoned drily, "is what I'm going to have to compete with? Seriously?" She was speaking to the room, but of course there was only one person inside. She hoped it was someone important, the owner or a manager or something. "Seriously? All that effort to build a whole bloody restaurant, and this is the best you do?" She was being mean, but that was kind of the point. She didn't much care how much money had been sunk into this place. Rule number one of business was location, location, location, and these people had picked a terrible one. Next to hers, and now it was on. This was war, and she was starting right the hell now.

∂σи'т уσυ ωαит тσ нανє ѕσмєвσ∂у ωнσ σвנє¢тιfιєѕ уσυ؟
                                                  нανє уσυ тнσυgнт αвσυт уσυя вυтт؟ ωнσ'ѕ gσииα тєαя ιт ιи тωσ؟
                                                  ωє'νє иєνєя нα∂ ιт ѕσ gσσ∂, υн-нυн, ωє'яє συт σf тнє ωσσ∂ѕ
                                                  αи∂ ιf уσυ ¢αи'т ∂єтє¢т тнє ѕαя¢αѕм, уσυ'νє мιѕυи∂єяѕтσσ∂

wнere - Thanks a Brunch
                                                  wнen - Winter 2051
                                                  wιтн - Shui
                                                  - ooc -
                                                  blah blah blah

kungfudemoness

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:26 pm

Things aren't easy
                                                                  So just believe me now
                                                                  And never make a sound.

Shui heard the door open he didnt have an open sign up yet so he guessed it likely wasn't someone looking for food. She snubbed the place initially which admittedly irked him a bit but it was better he remain professional. First impressions were important and he wanted his to be better than hers had been."I'll admit I spent more in the kitchen than out here but I kinda liked the brick work. Oh! Where's my manners! I'm Shui. Shui Quan, I'm...well the owner." He said trying to not seem nervous. He was decent enough at sounding like he had confidence at least. Hopefully he didnt start with a dark cloud over the place. "I take it's you're with the coffee shop next door? I was hoping to meet and make sure my menu didnt step on anything with yours." He didnt wanna be a clone of them. Coffee shops were different right?

MJ Spooks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:30 pm
User ImageUser Image

spaceUgh, of course he was one of those types. Those overly-friendly "look how much better than you I am" types who probably were actually raised by their parents and not a bloody television set. "Where's my manners," as if he didn't say it like that just to be a manipulative little shite, to make her lack thereof more obvious. Well, too bad for him, she couldn't be shamed. She liked not having manners, thanks.

spaceSo, with a curl of her lip and a sardonic tilt of her brow, she met his eyes for a moment, then looked around again.
                                                  "Oh, sure, exposed brick," she snorted. "Looks rustic. Homey. Not at all like you're trying way too hard to look rustic and homey." Maybe if the 'exposed brick' were more like the actual brickwork of the local buildings, and the exterior of the building matched, it'd be less pretentious. As it was, well. It had clearly been put in purposefully to evoke that feeling. Trying too hard, indeed.

spaceHe identified her easily enough, which, she had to wonder how, exactly. Had he been in the shop? If he had, then his comment on "hoping" their menus weren't too similar was a lie, because he wouldn't have to "hope" if that were the case. If not, then how did he recognize her? If he was smart, he'd scoped out the competition. But he was young and seemed earnest, even if he was a little shite, so she wasn't holding her breath on that one.
                                                  "Gwen," she replied simply. He didn't need more than that, she figured, and she still was hesitant to give even a scrap of personal information to anybody she hadn't known for five years or more. A couple of the baristas she'd hired when the shop opened had only just learned her birthday.

spaceShe crossed her arms, agitatedly tapping her fingers against her forearm, and huffed.
                                                  "We've been open for business," she pointed out, "for, you know. A while. So if you really cared about your menu not "stepping on toes," or whatever, well, you could've easily come in to, oh, I dunno. Look at my menu." Her eyes narrowed. "Or, oh! Here's a thought; don't bloody well open a brunch restaurant nextdoor to a place that serves breakfast. So, I gotta wonder. Are you an arsehole, or just stupid?" She wasn't pulling any punches. This was her business, her livelihood. The first thing in her life she'd done that wasn't a complete dumpster fire. She'd commit a damned murder before she let some fresh-faced t**t just out of Hogwarts run her out of business.

wнere - Thanks a Brunch
                                                  wнen - Winter 2051
                                                  wιтн - Shui
                                                  - ooc -
                                                  blah blah blah

kungfudemoness

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

CatWaffle
Crew

Questionable Waffles

9,225 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:44 pm

Things aren't easy
                                                                  So just believe me now
                                                                  And never make a sound.

Oh come on he was being nice! It wasn't like he was another coffee shop right next door! He wanted to remain polite and professional but he also needed to put his foot down as well. Sure he was younger but that was no reason to be so mean! “I could ask you the same question but you don't seem stupid if you can run a business. Look, I don't want to cause either of us to lose business. I quite like the coffee there. That's why I try to stay away from the things you make. Instead of me looking at your menu look at mine, none of what I have is exactly portable. You have coffee where I got some basic brew to wash food down with” Shui said, being firm but still polite. He held out one of the printed portable menus hell she could tear it up and it wouldn't matter. He knew not to seem like he was a pushover. But he didn't want to be as mean as she was being. “You got the portable breakfast market of ministry office workers and I got the sit down breakfast market of gossiping housewives. I have no intention of stepping on your toes so would you be respectful enough to do the same for me?” He wouldn't sound as annoyed as he was but it wasn't too hard to tell he was not pleased. He had hoped this would go better than it had been...

MJ Spooks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:02 am
User ImageUser Image

spaceGwen scoffed at the kid, mentally going ahead and deciding he was an idiot, not an arsehole. If he didn't see the problem here, then that was the only real answer. "I'm not stupid," she told him, "because I do run a successful business, and have been doing so for a while. So, here's a fun fact about running a business; having a similar business next door, no matter how different the offerings might actually be, always hurts your bottom line. It doesn't matter if you don't have the exact same food I do; people are going to look at our two places, right next door, and pick one. If you weren't here, they would've come to me. That's how this works. You're young, so I'm going to chalk this up to you being the inexperienced kind of stupid, rather than the actually stupid kind. But no matter what your intentions were, you're competition." Her tone was icy, eyes narrowed, arms crossed. She didn't take the menu he offered, because it didn't matter what was on it. The fact that he didn't know that, didn't understand, only infuriated her more. "It doesn't matter how much you like my coffee, unless you're buying a cup of it for every. Single. Customer you get. That orders the same from you. And guess what, kid? My place has seating. People could sit down for a meal next door. So yes, you are actually, in fact, stepping on my toes, no matter what you're selling. It would be bad enough if you were just another restaurant, but you're not, you're almost the exact same kind. And if you actually cared about professional courtesy, you would've stopped into my shop before you even bought this place. Or, crazy thought, set up shop down the road somewhere, so you at least weren't stealing customers directly from my door."

spaceShe gave the place another look around. Maybe she'd get lucky; maybe he would be a bad businessman. He was already showing signs, not understanding this basic principle and all. Maybe he'd run himself into the ground before she had to really worry about it. "Here's the deal, mate. I can't step on your toes; I was here first. All toe-stepping is entirely your domain. And as far as respect goes, the fact that you think you've shown me even a shred of that is, frankly, insulting. So you can bugger off. I'd wish you luck, but I'd be lying." She gave him an extremely sarcastic smile, and turned on her heel. She very nearly flipped him off on her way out the door, but figured that would be too much. At least she hadn't threatened or hexed him; Yeni would have to be proud of her for that, at least.

wнere - Thanks a Brunch
                                                  wнen - Winter 2051
                                                  wιтн - Shui
                                                  - ooc -
                                                  blah blah blah

kungfudemoness

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

addaellis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:33 pm

User Image♩♯⌬
ANGIER HUIYAN ZHENG

10 years || private school student || Halfbood
violinist and cellist

Angier had never seen his mum so...antsy. Faye kept nervously fidgeting, with her skirt or her bag, with the napkin. Angier could kind of understand: Mum had said they were meeting with someone important today-- someone who knew about magic. It was jarring, to think that the magical powers he and his mum had were something that a random stranger could know about, but not his own dad. Since Angier had started showing his own magic at four, Faye had started teaching him to keep very secret the two halves of his lives: muggle and magic were not to mix. Ever. Today was evidently supposed to change that.

At least the setting was familiar. This was a booth at Thanks a Brunch, where mother and son stopped by for fluffy waffles whenever Faye needed something from Diagon Alley every other month. Thankfully they had arranged for a midafternoon weekday between rushes. Angier leaned back against his coach seat with a huff. He pulled out his phone for a moment before remembering magic messed with electronics and returned to watching the other patrons. Just because there was an important conversation about to happen didn't mean they had to freak out about it.

Angier recognized that the person passing the window must have been the governess when his mother tensed. He sighed softly, and when the door opened, he stood up without prompting. Faye waved the lady over and greeted her formally: “Governess Heulwen, thank you for meeting us. This is my son, Angier. He’s just turned eleven.”

“Good afternoon, Governess Heulwen.” Angier greeted politely. He cocked his head to the side, recognizing the name and perking up. “Related to Aeron and Norelle Heulwen? Saw a book they wrote. Medicinal plants. Cited widely.

Faye seemed to tense up next to him. Sure she knew her son was smart, but she had an agenda for this meeting. A serious agenda. “Before we get sidetracked…”

“Of course. Haven’t ordered. Do you like waffles? Bacon and egg waffles are delicious.” Angier nodded casually, as though waffles were normal business conversation.

setting Thanks a Brunch, lull between rushes, January 2054 || with Faye Zheng, Nora Heulwen
appearance 4’5” + glasses || wearing polo shirt and cardigan
status Some super important conversation.

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
'Cause you're a sky, 'cause you're a sky full of stars
I'm gonna give you my heart
'Cause you light up the path
⌬♩♯
"A Sky Full of Stars" by Coldplay. Cover by The Piano Guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:30 pm
User ImageUser Image
xx⇴ Wʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀᴍ I? Thanks a Brunch Cafe
xxx⇴ Wʜᴏ ɪs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ? Faye and Angier Zheng
xxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ's ɢᴏɪɴɢ ᴏɴ? Brunch Meetings
xxxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs? They seem like a sweet family

Nora was today tasked with a very interesting mission. Faye Zheng had reached out to the governors, requesting to speak about urgent matters regarding their magic transition duties. Typically her duties started as the summer season ramped up, but she did have occasional jobs requiring her attention through the rest of the year. In this case, Nora was meeting with Faye about her child, who would most likely be invited to one of the magic schools. Of course, Nora only had governess over Hogwarts, but she knew quite a bit about the other schools around the globe.

After dropping off Phee with instructions to check in with Nani at her shop if he needed assistance, Nora walked over to Thanks a Brunch, where they had decided to meet over food. Nora walked in, spying the woman and who must be her son. "Of course, Mrs Zheng. I'm glad to meet you both. Congratulations on turning eleven, Angier. It's such a wonderful age." Of course, she'd seen dozens of kids reach the magical age, plus her own three (and their oodles of friends counting as many more). Angier seemed to know her, which brought a smile to the woman's face.

"Aeron is my husband, and Nora is short for Norelle. I'm glad my works have assisted your learning." Faye spoke up again, mentioning getting sidetracked, but her words were cut off by Angier taking the lead. "Waffles do sound lovely. I think I'll get the maple berry waffles. And don't worry, I don't mind paying for brunch, Mrs Zheng." She offered a grin, then crossed her hands on the table. "To get to business, you were wondering about schooling and transitions, correct? I've assisted with several young students learning about their magical side."

{{OoC: Wearing this and some short boots}}
addaellis

Mᴇᴇᴛ ᴍᴇ ᴅᴏᴡɴ ʙʏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡʜᴀʟᴇ ᴡᴀᴛᴄʜ, ᴍᴇᴇᴛ ᴍᴇ ᴅᴏᴡɴ ʙʏ ᴛʜᴇ sᴇᴀ
Mᴇᴇᴛ ᴍᴇ ᴅᴏᴡɴ ɪɴ Cᴏɴᴇʏ Isʟᴀɴᴅ, ᴡᴇ'ʟʟ ɢᴏ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ sᴇᴀ
Sᴏ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴀsᴋ ᴍᴇ ɴᴏ ǫᴜᴇsᴛɪᴏɴs, 'ᴄᴀᴜsᴇ I ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴄʀʏ ɴᴏ ᴡᴏʟꜰ
Bʏ ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴜɪɴs ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ Fᴇʀʀɪs ᴡʜᴇᴇʟ, sᴇᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴅᴏᴜʙᴛ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ sᴜʀꜰ
Yᴏᴜ ᴍɪɢʜᴛ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ʜᴇ's Cʜʀɪsᴛ-ʟɪᴋᴇ, ʙᴜᴛ ᴍʏ ʟᴏᴠᴇʀ ɪs ᴄʜɪʟᴅʟɪᴋᴇ
Sᴇᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ꜰɪsʜ sᴡɪᴍᴍɪɴɢ ᴜᴘsᴛʀᴇᴀᴍ, ʙᴀᴄᴋ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ʜɪʟʟs
Wᴀɴᴛ ɴᴏ ᴘᴀʀᴛ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡʜᴀʟᴇ ᴡᴀᴛᴄʜ, ɪꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅɴ'ᴛ ᴛᴇʟʟ
Mʏ ʟᴏᴠᴇʀ ᴀɪɴ'ᴛ Cʜʀɪsᴛ-ʟɪᴋᴇ, ʙᴜᴛ ᴍʏ ʟᴏᴠᴇʀ ɪs ᴄʜɪʟᴅʟɪᴋᴇ
Hᴇ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴄᴀʀᴇ ꜰᴏʀ ᴄᴏᴜɴᴛʀʏ ɪɴ ʜɪs ᴛᴀᴛᴛᴇʀs ᴀɴᴅ ʀᴀɢs
As ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴀɴᴅ ᴘʟᴀʏs ᴛʜᴇ ᴀɴᴛʜᴇᴍ, ʜᴇ ᴡʜɪsᴘᴇʀs, "Gᴏᴅ ʜᴀᴛᴇs ꜰʟᴀɢs"

Cinnabun Gryffie
Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:33 pm

User Image♩♯⌬
ANGIER HUIYAN ZHENG

violinist and cellist

Angier grinned when the governess said she was happy her work assisted his learning. He was squirming to ask her what she meant about eleven being a wonderful age--magical properties? How would they use them?-- or about what being an herbalist was like, but the women were clearly eager to get down to business.

”Bacon and egg waffle, poached, please.” he ordered when prompted.

”Oh no no, you couldn’t possibly,” Faye replied immediately, fully ready to insist when Nora mentioned paying. Faye didn’t have much by way of wizard money, but unless this was some kind of business expense that the Ministry was paying for, she fully expected this expense. ”I asked you out here to begin with.”

They turned to the business at hand. Faye glanced around by instinct, almost as though she expected someone to come marching in angrily. She was a little comforted that Governess Heulwen seemed experienced in assisting students in the magical transition. ”Yes. I know in magical society schooling begins at 11. Angier has been showing signs of magic since he was four or five, so I know he has magic. I have taught him to keep it secret, but I…” Faye hesitated. She had always been ashamed of not finishing her own magical education: next to her husband with his doctorate, having no degree--magical or otherwise-- was embarrassing. But in front of an accomplished witch, it seemed somehow even more disgraceful.

Finally she settled for another approach. ”I was not raised in Ireland and do know know how things are done here. Is it enough that he can control it? I was hoping you could tell me about what we might have to expect. I was also hoping you would have advice for hiding this schooling from his father? Angier’s father cannot know about magic. Keeping it a secret from him has been...difficult in the past. ”

setting Thanks a Brunch, lull between rushes, January 2054 || with Faye Zheng, Nora Heulwen

⌬♩♯

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:10 pm
User ImageUser Image
xxxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs? They seem like a sweet family

Nora grinned softly when Angier placed his order, and she did as well, getting a nice berry tea to pair. After offering to pay, Faye quickly denied the offer. "Oh, it's not a bother, dear. I'm happy to treat." It was always nice to help people, especially those in potentially worrisome situations. Faye tried justifying the expense by noting she invited Nora, which earned a small nod from the blonde. "It's fine, lamb. We'll call it a business expense, since we're here on official business."

After some slight prompting about the matter at hand, the woman began, though her words seemed carefully chosen. Apparently Angier was magical, though Faye had taught him to keep the ability hidden. Perhaps there was someone in their lives that ought not know? Nora sipped the tea that had arrived as Fay continued, still seeming... perhaps wary. She hadn't been from the UK, meaning most likely she went to one of the many other magical institutions, or perhaps was homeschooled. Not knowing how things worked... well, that was Nora's main job. Nora looked a bit concerned when it came to light that the person who mustn't know of Angier's magic was his own father. There had been bad incidences in the past, and the blonde couldn't help but wonder...

"Well, for Hogwarts' normal routine, students with at least one magical parent would be sent a letter around the middle of May, with the expectation that we have a reply back by the last of July. In this case, we do have other ways of insuring our students are safe. If you would like, I can petition the school to allow a governor, in this case, myself, to collect Angier. We can say he has been invited to a special preparatory school in Scotland, which would allow the boarding school belief to work. A lot of private schools, particularly those of elite status, are boarding schools. It may not work perfectly, but I don't mind assisting this at all. On the evening prior to the train ride, I wouldn't even mind coming to collect Angier in my car, which would allow you to avoid the hidden train platforms as well. Mail can be sent to the Owl Exchange or to myself, and I can forward them on to Hogwarts for you. However you would like. Otherwise, you'll most likely need to hire on a magical tutor, since he has to be trained with a wand and able to control any potential outbursts. This is per the Statutes set forth by the Ministry, and I cannot advise you to attempt to override them." The woman crossed her hands, resting them on the table. She had a look of concern in her eyes, but she was hopeful to assist this family as she did the rest.

addaellis

Cinnabun Gryffie
Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:12 am

User Image♩♯⌬
ANGIER HUIYAN ZHENG

violinist and cellist

Faye reluctantly acknowledged that if it was a business expense, then it made more sense for the kind governess to pay. She accepted with a ”Thank you very much then.” which Angier followed up with a ”Thanks.”

Angier listened quietly as his mother and the governess spoke. Thus far nothing was new information, although his mother seemed particularly nervous. He supposed that made sense. His mother always seemed on edge about magic. Alice’s disappearance, of course. Governess Heulwen mentioned that accommodations could be made to pick him up, framing Hogwarts as a special preparatory boarding school.

“Yes, Yes. Any mail I can pick up at the Owl Exchange yes,” Faye nodded along. Her brows were furrowed as she thought through things. ”You could pick him up? I didn't even think of that. Yes, that would be wonderful. And having a face would help sell the legitimacy of a magical school….”

She seemed to relax, years and years of stress and worry melting off her shoulders as the experienced governess spoke. Perhaps the situation was not as uncommon as she feared? There hadn’t even been any questions about the situation. Faye tensed up a bit when the Statutes set forth by the Ministry were brought up and Angier scribbled in a handy notepad to to look up these statues that had her so worried.

”Would just hiring a tutor be...satisfactory to the Ministry?” she asked hesitantly. ”Angier has done very well in muggle schooling...If he didn’t have to attend Hogwarts at all, that may be good.”

⌬♩♯

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:07 pm
User ImageUser Image
xxxxx⇴ Wʜᴀᴛ'ʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs? Hopefully I can do this tactfully

Nora nodded calmly when Faye and Angier both thanked her for brunch. "You are both very welcome. I'm glad to do it." As Faye spoke, Nora noticed Angier seeming... less than enthused about the conversation. Of course, Nora felt a twinge of guilt, discussing his very future before him without particularly consulting him on the topic. She knew her own kids would be frustrated in his shoes.

When the offer was extended to pick up Angier the day before Hogwarts, Faye seemed quite accepting of the offer. "Yes, even if it's just me collecting him and bringing him to my house to board the train with my youngest. My eldest graduated a few years ago, and the middle is finishing his final year. Oh, how time flies. But, I do have a guest room at home, and I doubt my husband would mind a bit." She wasn't sure if they could craft a perfect ruse, but perhaps they could get close enough.

After mentioning various statutes in place, Angier scribbled them down in a notebook, perhaps to learn more about later. Faye then asked if just hiring a tutor would work, since Angier was apparently very good with muggle schooling. Nora took a deep breath to gather thoughts for a moment, before deciding to just be frank about the situation. "Well, yes. You do have the option to opt out of formal schooling, so long as a tutor is in place and Angier still meets certain qualifications, such as the topics learned, the amount of class time, and the years involved. I will, however, say that I don't believe this would be a safe option in Angier's case." She paused, taking a breath while she looked a bit sadly at the boy. "If you are worried about someone, particularly someone at home, learning of Angier's magic, it could be outright dangerous to bring in a tutor on magical subjects. It would have to be quite a few hours per week, especially once third year is reached and elective studies can be added. I'm worried that if there were someone doing the teaching in home... well, we can say it would be significantly easier to walk in and realize it's not typical studies like maths or science. I would be afraid that something might come of it, especially since you had enough concern to schedule this meeting with me today."

addaellis

Cinnabun Gryffie
Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100

addaellis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:07 pm

User Image♩♯⌬
ANGIER HUIYAN ZHENG

violinist and cellist

Faye nodded seriously at Governess Heulwen’s concerns, but the thought of a private tutor was stuck now. ”What if...could I find a tutor who could tutor him here? Like in Diagon Alley after school. That would be ideal? We could call it an after-school program?”

Angier himself was clearly torn. He didn’t want to leave school. He was good at school, and his friends were there. But at the same time, he felt like his mom only wanted him to not go to Hogwarts because it would be easier to keep him under her eye. His eyes flicked back and forth between the women discussing the life he would be living. Adults did this a lot. He was used to it, but that didn't make it less annoying. He didn't care so much how they would hide magic but how he could learn it best.

”I can bring him here over the weekends...and once he’s a little older he could floo here on his own? Angie, you would have to do any homework here though, you understand.”

Angier nodded impatiently, and jumped in with a question of his own, expression determined. If he didn’t say something his mother might just cross magical school off the list altogether, and he didn’t know yet what he wanted with it. He needed more information about what magic entailed, and what he could learn at Hogwarts before he could make an informed decision. Informed! ”Does Hogwarts have a music program? Is there music magic? Play a lullaby to put people to sleep or wake them up? My dad does astrophysics. Lets me look through the telescope sometimes. I wanna do that too. Maybe not astrophysics. But research. Learn new things-ooh, Abracatwaffles! Thanks Mister!” he noted as their food arrived. Angier was undeterred though. Ma uses magic to cook faster sometimes. But she’s not very good. What can we learn at Hogwarts? I know Plants are a thing. Potions, Ma said. Wand class. What else?”

status Okay, but what am I learning?

⌬♩♯

Diagon Alley

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff