Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Round Table of Discussion

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:04 pm
The Table is for discussions, debates, and all-around peaceful talks.

You want to talk about Dungeons and Dragons stuff; things you like, things you dislike, or things you would like to change. you can do so here. The same goes for every other System out there. Pathfinder, PbtA, Rifts, Monster Hearts... etc...etc

I will add rules if needed, but at the moment, just be nice to each other.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:18 pm
Rain Yupa

I'd say 5e is easier to pick up than 3.5 personally and I've played 2e A&D thru 5e.

5e is the easiest to make a character in and understand the rules overall. 4e is easy to play once you have a sheet in front of you, but building a character without a builder is a terribly long process. And 3.5 had skill synergies and a lot more abilities and such to track, as well as alignment restrictions, level adjustments (which I swear almost nobody did the same) and prestige classes, that while cool, could be imposing to new players.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 3.5 druids with a Geomancer prestige class, but making a pc in 5e is the easiest of any system.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:50 pm
As someone who has DMed 5e, thrice. I will say, I don't like it. I don't like it, Sam I am.

But, that said, I know I am an outlier and lots of people actually like it. So, meh... Things, I do for others. stare  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:32 am
Southern Cross Nemesis
As someone who has DMed 5e, thrice. I will say, I don't like it. I don't like it, Sam I am.

But, that said, I know I am an outlier and lots of people actually like it. So, meh... Things, I do for others. stare

Don't like it because it is new and scary or do you have specific things that you do not like about it?  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:25 am
PupSage

Pathfinder 2e is new and scary. Normally, I can just find the combat section and go from there, but I can't tell what I am reading or where to start in that book. 5e feels old and done.

It brings back the formating issues I hated about 3.5/pathfinder and limits choice for players to class-related choices(Talking about how Multi-classing and feats are optional rules. I run with them, but that doesn't change that they are).

Spell Format, 3.5's Sleep, vs 4e Sleep, vs 5e Sleep.

class format; 3.5 Rogue, PF Rogue, 5e Rogue
(Can't show a 4e Rogue, as you might have the point of needing a character builder. I don't, but others do... meh)

Challenge Rating, Disadvantage, and Advantage just suck.

The thing I like about 5e is the hard-ish limit on ability scores at 20 and ability saving throws.

Edit: Words are hard.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:32 pm
This is probably a stupid idea, but...

Would there be any draw for an open world to round-robin choose your adventure thing?

By that, I mean the world is broken up into locations. Marketplace, Arena, Tavern, etc., etc... and your character meets up with others and just roleplays from there?

I mean sure there will be NPCs, quests, and the like. But, ideally, it would allow the players to roleplay among themselves. And the quests wouldn't always need to be campaign-level events ran by the same dm.  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:24 pm
Southern Cross Nemesis

Would there be any draw for an open world to round-robin choose your adventure thing?

By that, I mean the world is broken up into locations. Marketplace, Arena, Tavern, etc., etc... and your character meets up with others and just roleplays from there?

I mean sure there will be NPCs, quests, and the like. But, ideally, it would allow the players to roleplay among themselves. And the quests wouldn't always need to be campaign-level events ran by the same dm.

Sounds like you are just pitching a role playing guild. Those are pretty common around Gaia.

Better organized and you are talking a West Marches game.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:00 pm
PupSage
Southern Cross Nemesis

Sounds like you are just pitching a role playing guild. Those are pretty common around Gaia.

Better organized and you are talking a West Marches game.

Probably, it was just an idea I saw when looking around Discord for a 5e game.

With the increased number of people who want to play or test 5e, and currently on gm willing to run it. I thought we could kill two birds with one massive stone...  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces