Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Chatterbox
Artist Help?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Want some gold?
  Is this a question?
View Results

Rakashael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:04 pm
So here's what all this is about:

Hi. I'm a poor as shite person working to get back into drawing. I scrounged from my measly savings to get a drawing display tablet. (XP-Pen 22 pro is what I could afford and had the features I needed)

I am/was a solely traditional art person who drew blueprints for years. I'm working with Krita(Since I'm literally living off my savings right now and Gimp sucks) and am honestly finding the transition from traditional to digital really, really gaia_star gaia_star gaia_star
heart heart heart

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:46 pm
I've been there. And I'm still in that process.
I've made the jump to 100% digital, but I haven't found brushes that really feel *right* yet. (I use the app Procreate on an iPad).

Generically speaking,
Start by doing your sketches traditionally and then just inking/coloring digitally until you get used to it enough that you can start sketching digitally too
I don't have experience with Krita, but I can say that drawing digitally does start to feel more fluid the more you know how your program works. Watch a bunch of tutorials on youtube for tips and tricks. And also watch some videos of people just drawing using the app. Get an idea of how others use it and just keep going forward... it'll start to feel more normal the more you do it.
Pick a brush that is the most similar to how you traditionally draw and go from there. Use one layer. Pretend like it's a piece of paper. Just get the feeling of drawing on a new surface... so sticking to what you're used to helps. (I picked a pencil brush and just sketched and shaded away and it helped me get a feel of the pressure sensitivity, etc)
..... when you do get into it, you'll love layers. @ .@;;; They're soooo convenient.
I don't know much about the computer versions of drawing programs. I only have experience with apps. But I find that the program/app you use really matters too. I tried some apps that i just couldn't get into because I didn't like the interface and brushes.

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

Rakashael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:20 pm
sdrawkcab
I've been there. And I'm still in that process.
I've made the jump to 100% digital, but I haven't found brushes that really feel *right* yet. (I use the app Procreate on an iPad).

Generically speaking,
Start by doing your sketches traditionally and then just inking/coloring digitally until you get used to it enough that you can start sketching digitally too
I don't have experience with Krita, but I can say that drawing digitally does start to feel more fluid the more you know how your program works. Watch a bunch of tutorials on youtube for tips and tricks. And also watch some videos of people just drawing using the app. Get an idea of how others use it and just keep going forward... it'll start to feel more normal the more you do it.
Pick a brush that is the most similar to how you traditionally draw and go from there. Use one layer. Pretend like it's a piece of paper. Just get the feeling of drawing on a new surface... so sticking to what you're used to helps. (I picked a pencil brush and just sketched and shaded away and it helped me get a feel of the pressure sensitivity, etc)
..... when you do get into it, you'll love layers. @ .@;;; They're soooo convenient.
I don't know much about the computer versions of drawing programs. I only have experience with apps. But I find that the program/app you use really matters too. I tried some apps that i just couldn't get into because I didn't like the interface and brushes.

The program really does matter. I was using Gimp before someone suggested Krita. It's like night and day.
I'm still in the thick of beginner tutorials, so it's nice to hear I'm on the right track. I'll keep working on that.
I never much thought about using a brush that works how I'm used to, that's brilliant. I'll let you know how that turns out.
Thanks so much for all your advice. I'll get to trying things out. Thanks so much. ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:36 am
Rakashael

Hello! Fellow Artist here with over a decade experience with digital.
Having started out from traditional before, it took a lot of getting used to a digital workspace.
I can try and provide some tips to make your art journey smoother.

gaia_star My #1 recommended program is Clip Studio Paint.
It does cost some money but right now there's a 50% off Spring sale!
One of the best times to nab this program is during one of these sales.
I recommend the Paint Pro version not the EX.
Unless you're a professional mangaka/animator/illustrator, you won't be needing it.

If you lose your license, you can contact support, which is nice.
I didn't know that before and bought a whole new key..
You can also register your key on up to two computers, but only use one instance at a time.
This means, you cannot have the program open on both computers at the same time.

gaia_star Why do I recommend Clip Paint?
-Best workflow, once you get everything how you want it. (customizable, I can share my workflow if you'd like)
-Asset store!!! TONS of free assets you can download! (Some not working with the new update, until the creator updates it for the new release)
I can share my most used asset store brushes if you'd like.
I also use some paid ones that I can link you to, they're not too pricey but super amazing!
-Performance. You can adjust how much memory is allocated to the program based on the performance of your PC. (you can ask me if you need help)
This will make it easier to draw without too much lag, other than using a smaller canvas/dpi.
-Best UI of any program I've tried, and I've tried many, even Krita (tbh Krita is a nightmare for me because of how clunky the UI is, it's hard to focus on my artwork)
-Best brush UI in it's price range (Better than Paint tool Sai in my opinion).
Corel painter is the best but it's also.. over $500.... so not very accessible.
-Community! There's tons of people contributing on their site giving drawing tips/tutorials.
A trove of knowledge!
[Tutorial site] - Switch to English on the top right, it usually defaults to Japanese.
I tried switching it before linking, but not sure if it will for you.

There's much more awesomeness in this program but I'd be talking forever!
If you have any questions, about art, art programs or just wanna chat, you're more than welcome to quote me here or PM me!

Ah, side note. I also have the XP-Pen 22e! So if you have questions about it, you can also ask me about that!
I have some recommendations on how to get the pressure settings right for you.
It's different for everyone! Especially if you tend to be heavy handed or a light sketcher, I can help you tweak the settings to fit you, or at least get you started messing with it.
There's also a pressure setting you can use in Clip Paint for further customization.

Hope this helped and I hope you enjoy your creative journey!

GrimDaeva

Cute Monster

22,675 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Magical Girl 50
☆ Chatterbox

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items