Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
Advice on opening up an art shop (A)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

halbstarke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:02 am
HELLO
I have many questions about selling art on here and just questions in general hehe..... ever since I joined and saw the forums have a section for art posting, I have been wanting to share my art lol
- For starters, I'm a little confused on how currency works here. Most things are bought with either Plat or GC, so why do people refer to GG (gold??) so much. I googled GG for myself and found a nifty conversion chart of gold to plat. If everything is bought with plat/gc why do people on the forums offer gold? Seems kinda useless LOL
- Is GC tradeable? Are there ways of attaining beyond spending money?
- Do people do commission bids on here? Typically, I will open a BTC (bid to commission). Whoever is the highest bidder will get the commission. I do not have a flat rate of commissions so a bid would be the most convenient for me...
IF POSSIBLE, COULD YOU LINK ME ONE? I swear I saw someone post one earlier but now I can't find it. I need a good reference for when I do make one if they exist.. :]
- Do people reserve posts to edit them later and add more information at a later time?/Is it wise to reserve the entire front page of a post?
- What on god is a bribe shop???

I feel like a huge part of this game is buying things BUT I DONT HAVE MONEY
:'''( pls help a dumb b***h out thank yu

also sorry for any bad english its SUPER late for me hehe  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:04 am
ALSO if there is any other advice you would like to offer beyond these questions, it would be very much appreciated ^___^!  

halbstarke

Auriga La Shock

Mythrill Knight

80,800 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Stargazing Knight 500
  • Shopkeep's Apprentice 500
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:24 pm
halbstarke

Gold is the currency that was used on the site for ten plus years. People offer in it, because most people are more familiar with it and not everyone has swapped over to using platinum. It's just easier for people visually. For example, I know how much 1t is in gold. However, it takes me a moment or two to translate 100k platinum in my mind.

GC is obtainable via gcash giftcards that can be bought in the cash shop. Since the giftcards are an actual item, you can technically go into the marketplace and buy Gaia Cash. This means you can also trade it with other users.

People do bids all the time ^^ You'll want to go into the Art Auctions forum and make a thread there. It'll definitely give you more bang for your buck too since all the art whales go there for art. Here's a link to a shop in the art auctions forum.

I would definitely recommend reserving posts for your entire first page of your art shop. You might need those posts for something and it makes your thread look cleaner. If you're making an art auction, I'd recommend only reserving three or four posts. You won't need the whole first page.

A bribe shop is for people who aren't sure how to price their art/are too lazy to figure out a set price rate. Customers will come in, look at samples of your art, then offer you the amount that they think your art is worth. Keep in mind, art auctions are where art whales bid. If you make a regular shop, you aren't going to get anything near to where you would by art bidders.

I'd recommend looking through numerous art auctions and art shops. That'll get you a feel for how users buy/sell art here on Gaia. It'll also give you a feel for how much art is going for these days.

If you aren't sure about the trade process for the entire transaction, here's a staff made thread about it. Basically, the customer sends you a trade, but doesn't complete it. Then you send that person a watermarked version of the art. After that, the customer fully accepts the trade. Once that is done, you send them the art without the watermark on it.

If you don't have samples of your art, you can always make a few freebies for people here on Gaia. You can find a lot of willing victims in the art freebies forum. If you stream art, you can usually get some chat company from there too.

I love buying art, so let me know if you make a shop, are willing to take commissions, or have other questions heart  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:09 pm
Auriga La Shock

TYSM!!!! This is really helpful, I'll definitely let you know when I've opened mine.
Right now, I'm looking at other shops like you suggested ... Do you know if there's a masterlist somewhere or something that has all acronyms and their meanings on it because I'd hate to keep asking LOL  

halbstarke

Auriga La Shock

Mythrill Knight

80,800 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Stargazing Knight 500
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:17 pm
halbstarke
Auriga La Shock

TYSM!!!! This is really helpful, I'll definitely let you know when I've opened mine.
Right now, I'm looking at other shops like you suggested ... Do you know if there's a masterlist somewhere or something that has all acronyms and their meanings on it because I'd hate to keep asking LOL

xD Sadly not. I can give you some of the basics here thought. PWYW is pay what you want. Basically means a bribe shop. YCH, is your character here drawing style. AT is art trade. RLC is real life commission. GG is just gold.

Did I miss any?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:05 pm
Auriga La Shock

xD Sadly not. I can give you some of the basics here thought. PWYW is pay what you want. Basically means a bribe shop. YCH, is your character here drawing style. AT is art trade. RLC is real life commission. GG is just gold.

Did I miss any?

Oh, no :*D That's perfect, thanks. RLC was actually what I was wondering about lol
RLC means to draw from rl pics or does it mean commissions that are paid with rl currency ?  

halbstarke

halbstarke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:06 pm
Auriga La Shock

OH ACTUALLY one more..
What does RIGS mean? Is it an item you can get or smth  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:24 pm
halbstarke
Auriga La Shock

Did I miss any?

Oh, no :*D That's perfect, thanks. RLC was actually what I was wondering about lol
RLC means to draw from rl pics or does it mean commissions that are paid with rl currency ?

It means people pay you with rl money.

RIG means random item generator. They're basically like loot boxes where you buy one and you get a random item  

Auriga La Shock

Mythrill Knight

80,800 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Stargazing Knight 500

halbstarke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:31 pm
Auriga La Shock
halbstarke
Auriga La Shock

Did I miss any?

It means people pay you with rl money.

RIG means random item generator. They're basically like loot boxes where you buy one and you get a random item

Ohhhh oke, got it
Tysmm again :] heart  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:36 pm
Auriga La Shock

if ur still interested, i opened 1 up https://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/art-auctions/open-painted-headshot-commissions/t.107747340/  

halbstarke

☆ Questions and Assistance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff