[PRP] The Protectors (Kuruka x Marzel) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RuIerr

Devoted Cultist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:12 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Every watch always felt so long.

For such a chatty and social lioness, it was an odd job to take on, the role of Watcher. But it felt so important, to serve as a guard to the pride, to protect those around her. She'd grown up within the Kazaa, had watched it grow and change with her own self, and so defending it felt vital and important. Plus, at the end of every watch, she got to unleash a load of pent-up energy and chatter on new friends and old - which, not everyone enjoyed, but Kuruka certainly did.

As her replacement padded toward her and nodded silently, Kuruka nodded back and lifted to her paws, suddenly alight with energy. Once the other lion, a big blue male, sat down, she immediately bounded off toward the main social area of the pride. She needed to get rid of this energy somehow, some way, with someone - the big question was simple: with who?

Rennekae

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:58 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Marzel entered the pride's main social area and paused, a fair sized hare in his jaws, slightly sore but extremely pleased.

The black male had already been out on his obligatory hunting trip with some of the other Hunters, but when he had brought his sister a meal after his return, he had noticed that one of her colleagues had seemed very busy. As usual, Mar couldn't help himself when faced with the opportunity to assist someone. This lion held a very important job and was clearly too engrossed in it to take time away and get himself something to eat, so Mar decided it would be nice to bring him a meal as well. And so, after a quick word with his timid sibling, he had set back out, thankful for the sun warming his tired muscles.

Mar had just returned and was scanning the lions milling about for the intended recipient of the hare when he was nearly crashed into by a blur of fuschia and peach.

"Whoa!" he exclaimed, obviously startled but with a friendly smile pulling at his mouth around his kill. "Are you alright? What's the rush?"

Ruler of Everything

Rennekae

Dapper Werewolf

8,600 Points
  • Married 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Streaker 200

RuIerr

Devoted Cultist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:41 pm
Kuruka had been so caught up in just getting to where others were that she failed to notice the lion right in her path. She nearly barreled into him, quick on her feet as she was, only realizing the large black and white male with the gray mane was there when he called out to her. She immediately stopped in her tracks, skidding a few feet and almost bowling over, but somehow she managed to remain standing. Turning around, she flipped her pink mane-tuft out of her eyes, and gave the male a smile bright enough to match her fur. He had a hare hanging from his mouth, which made his speech only minorly muffled.

"I'm so sorry! I honestly, ah, didn't notice you there!" Kuruka laughed, her voice and giggle light and airy, just like her whole being. "I don't think I've met you before," she started, noting that she would recall a lion as dashing as him, "I'm Kuruka! I just got off my watch and I'm just... very ready to be able to talk to other lions again." Her bright eyes blinked, before realizing she should ask him about himself. "I'm guessing you're a hunter, but who are you, really?" Kuruka cocked her head quizzically, begging for an answer.

Rennekae

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:43 pm
Mar stood blinking as the bright lioness - "Kuruka. That's a pretty name.", he thought - let loose an explosion of bubbly energy. While he must admit he was initially taken aback by her sudden exuberance, he felt his smile widening as she continued to talk, and it wasn't long before he had to place the rabbit at his paws because it became awkward to hold it. As she finished and fell silent, Mar laughed cheerfully.

"Good day, Kuruka. First, you have no need to apologize - I wasn't paying attention either. Second, you're right, we haven't met before. Third, I'm available and more than happy to talk with you, I just have to deliver this food. And finally, my name is Marzel. You may call me Mar and, yes, I am a Hunter." He paused and smirked playfully. "I believe I've covered everything?"

Now that Mar had a chance to see Kuruka as more than just the brightly-colored object about to run him down, he noticed how pretty she was. In fact, he found it a little difficult to stop noticing. And those cute little wing markings were appropriate - the girl could almost fly with all that energy.

Ruler of Everything

Rennekae

Dapper Werewolf

8,600 Points
  • Married 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Streaker 200

RuIerr

Devoted Cultist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:10 pm
Kuruka noted that she liked the sound of this male's laugh, and it brought a smile to her face - or, well, it would have, had she not still been smiling. That was her natural expression, really - she was just an absurdly friendly little lioness.

When she realized he was attending to her inquiries one by one by numbering them, she let out a light-hearted giggle. He was funny - that was good. Seemed like a great companion with which to expel all this extra energy, for sure. As he finished, Kuruka's smile brightened and she nodded enthusiastically. "Sounds about right, Mar!" As soon as the words were out of her mouth, she realized he had mentioned having to do something. "Oh! I, uh, don't want to hold you up! But if you'd like, I can accompany you to deliver your kill?" She tilted her head. It was a bit flirtatious, asserting herself into his day like this, but she never truly understood flirtation. Some that knew her said she barely grew out of adolescence - she was just a bundle of pure, unadulterated joy and giggles - which was either endearing or really, really annoying.

While she awaited his answer, her gem-colored eyes appraised him, finally taking a second to stop talking and just drink him in. He was larger than her - most were, really - and his markings were so clean and distinct. They were pretty or, er, handsome, and she realized that she liked looking at him. What a good feeling that was! Kuruka hoped, staring at that neat marking that set his nose and forehead apart from the rest of his face, that he would welcome her to tag along. He seemed like a great candidate for a new companion of hers - whatever that meant.

Rennekae

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:56 am
"It would be my pleasure to have you along." Mar dipped his head, both to pick up his kill and attempt to hide a goofy grin, and seized the ears of the hare between his teeth so he could still speak coherently. "It isn't holding me up at all; the Healer this is intended for doesn't even know I'm bringing it."

The monochromatic male slowly started off toward the Healers' area with his new friend - whom, he realized, he didn't know much about. That definitely needed to be remedied. A pawful of questions ran through his mind and after a couple of heartbeats of silence, he settled on one with an easy segway.

"Well, you know I'm a Hunter, and you said you just got off your watch. Does that make you a Watcher or an Usher?" he queried, looking over at her and cocking his head slightly. Mar had both an Usher and a Watcher as good friends, and had heard both refer to their shifts as "watches", but something told him that Kuruka was the latter. She had so much energy, and it just didn't seem the right type of spirit for one that had only just finished a bout of caring for the dying. Most of the Ushers were a little subdued for a while after performing their duties, even on a good day.

Ruler of Everything

Rennekae

Dapper Werewolf

8,600 Points
  • Married 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Streaker 200

RuIerr

Devoted Cultist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:44 am
Kuruka was delighted to hear him welcome her on his journey, however brief it may be. However, she was a bit confused (maybe because she wasn't a Hunter, maybe because she didn't know much about Healers) - "If the Healer doesn't know it's coming, what's the purpose of it?" Her tone was light and jovial, genuinely curious as to what the rabbit was for if it wasn't a snack, especially if the recipient was unaware of the gift headed their way.

The small orange lion padded along, a bounce in her step as she strode next to Marzel. She was happy when he opened his mouth to learn more about her - although she was quite talkative, it was often hard for her to come up with something to say unless prompted, so this was very, very welcome.

"I'm a Watcher! Doesn't seem like a natural fit, does it?" Kuruka made a sort of shrugging motion and cocked her head in a manner to remove the fuschia fur tuft out of her eyes. "I really enjoy it, though. Solitude is... good sometimes, I suppose. I much prefer being with someone, but I love being of use to the pride. It makes me feel... important." It was a fulfilling role to the little lioness, and somehow strangely suited her. "Are your parents from the pride? I don't ever recall seeing you about, although we are quite big..." Her purple eyes glanced over at him, curious, particularly as the pride had been through such turmoil as of recent.

Rennekae

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:06 am
Mar smiled at her question. It wasn't an uncommon one for him - he often went out of his way to help others within the pride, even without knowing them or without them knowing. "Just to be nice. When I was bringing a meal to my sister, I noticed he looked too busy to step away, and I wouldn't want him to go hungry just because his job is important. You could say I enjoy taking care of others." It was a gross understatement, but true nonetheless.

His smile remained firmly in place as they walked along. Her little bounce was very endearing. At her next statement, Mar laughed so hard he nearly dropped the hare and had to stop to adjust it better.

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to laugh; you just really don't sound convinced about solitude being good." His mirth gone, he continued in all seriousness. "And you are important to the pride. We all are, but one who puts the pride's needs before their own is to be especially appreciated." Mar tried to offer Kuruka a warm smile, but felt that it probably only showed in his eyes while his mouth most likely just looked wonky.

Her final question made him pause, his ears folding back and his eyes turning to storm. His parents were not from the pride, though he believed they had accidentally resided just outside or inside the borders. His family's past was not a happy one and just the mention of his parents was enough to put him in a foul mood. He shook it off as best he could, though his discomfort was still plain and it was easy to tell how guarded he had become.

"They are not." It was simple and blunt, and he breezed past it and into his joining story in hopes that she wouldn't push it further. Aside from his own displeasure at the whole thing, he hated the way his past made others feel and tried to avoid telling it. "I came here a few moons ago so it isn't odd that you wouldn't have noticed me yet. I was searching for my sister, who I knew to be in the area, and was found by one of her friends - a Watcher herself. She brought me back here and I immediately asked to stay."

Ruler of Everything
Kuruka is more than welcome to push the question of his parents, but it might take a couple tries before he answers - the first time she asked, he'd try to tell her it isn't a pleasant story, and if she still wants to know after that, he'll answer. n.n

Rennekae

Dapper Werewolf

8,600 Points
  • Married 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Streaker 200

RuIerr

Devoted Cultist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:30 pm
The first sentence out of his mouth after she finally shut up made Kuruka's little heart melt. What a kind, thoughtful gesture that was - truly, where had this lion been all of her life? She knew then that he was someone she'd have to keep around. After all, everyone needed a friend this nice and selfless. "That's... incredibly kind of you. I'm impressed," she said with a grin, flicking her tail as she walked.

At his laughter, Kuruka playfully rolled her eyes. "I mean, it was something I had to get used to, absolutely. But I think it's for the best. Truly, I do!"

Though a bit childish in her demeanor, Kuruka liked to think of herself as perceptive. When someone wasn't up for talking to her, she quickly found a reason to excuse herself to go in search of someone who was in the mood to chat. That's why, when she asked about Marzel's parents, she immediately realized she needed to drop the subject. His face grew dark and closed off, in stark contrast to the joviality she had witnessed only moments before. Instead, she decided to change the subject. Slightly.

"Oh? Your sister's here? That's so wonderful! It really is nice to have those close to us around. What's she like?" If he was searching for his sister, they must be tight knit, which hopefully meant that she was as sweet and easy to be around as Marzel himself. Or, she hoped. For Mar's sake, if for anything.

Rennekae
Decided not to push, but definitely will bring this up later! I'll figure out a way for her to pry, esp bc I'm now very intrigued. xD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:58 pm
Mar nodded happily; it really was nice to be close to his sister. The two had only ever been apart once, and that was more than enough for him. It had been when Zuni had chosen to return home and Mar had foolishly let her go alone. It had only taken two days before he'd set off after her, but it had taken almost a full moon before he'd finally found her - he needed to make the same trek she had, and she'd had a headstart. Mar would never let his sister out of his life again.

"Yes, she's been here a while. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't met her either. She's a Healer but she's very, uh... reclusive. Doesn't leave her den or socialize very much."

That was putting it mildly. Zuni, the poor thing, was absolutely wracked with paranoia and seldom left her den; even then, she usually only ventured so far as the communal Healer's area, and would leave if she didn't see anyone "safe" there. She even treated most of her patients near or in her own den. Mar figured Kuruka would meet Zuni soon enough, assuming his sister hadn't already slunk back to her den.

Ruler of Everything
No problem! Once they're close, he'd have no problem telling her everything. Especially if she keeps asking about Zuni, lol
So their dad was crazy and abusive, and their mom tried to sneak them away, and he killed half the family and promised to find them and kill them, too. So Mar became a superhero of sorts, wanting to fight evil. And poor Zuni is a paranoid wreck.

Rennekae

Dapper Werewolf

8,600 Points
  • Married 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Streaker 200

RuIerr

Devoted Cultist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:40 pm
Kuruka noted the male's nod, and wondered idly if his sister was half as pretty as he was. She was making an effort not to stare at her walking companion, but he was just so striking. The contrast in his various colorations was so brilliant and eye-catching.

When Marzel spoke, it shook her from her reverie and she cocked her head, hearing that his sister was more on the side of being a recluse. That was something Kuruka truly didn't understand. She was such a little social butterfly, she just loved being around others and bonding with everyone new she met. It simply came easily to her, so she couldn't imagine the reverse.

"I'm... sorry to hear that, Marzel. But it is lovely that she has you around. As much as she takes care of the pride, she deserves to be cared for just the same."

Deciding it sounded like Marzel wasn't a fan of discussing his intimate personal life, Kuruka mentioned her own. "I have five siblings in the pride, and they're all just as brightly colored as me. My whole family is... the polar opposite of you. We make up a rainbow when we're all together - it's a pretty remarkable sight." She smiled, musing on that. Kuruka and her siblings weren't particularly close, but it did comfort her that they were so close by. So although she may not understand Marzel's sibling relationship exactly, she knew the appreciation one could have to be so near to their loved ones.

Rennekae
Oh my lanta, that's horrible! She'll have... no idea how to react to that heavy news. xD I can't wait. Also sorry my muse is dying and I've been so busy, I promise I haven't forgotten these two <33

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:19 pm
"Oh, there's no need to be sorry." Mar shook his head with a smile. "She's much happier if just myself or no one else is around. Well, and one other pride member, but he's... special."

While he fully understood his sister's nature and her reasons for it, he couldn't imagine living it himself. He pictured it as being immensely lonely and stressful to be so isolated and frightened all the time, but oddly his sister seemed happiest at the times he thought would be hardest. Her happiness was what mattered most to Mar so he never pushed her boundaries.

The black-and-white male chuckled at the thought of Kuruka's family rainbow. "That would be a wonderful sight. Though, I doubt any of them shines as brightly and exquisitely as you." The compliment slipped out before he could help it and Marzel immediately felt his face grow hot. In a quick attempt spurred by embarrassment, he quickly shifted into a subject that he realized, too late, was also sensitive. "Anyway, as much as our colours might be a little boring, our mother's pelt was also greyscaled and it's nice to be able to look at each other and see her."

When he finally did recognize his mistake, he promptly shut his mouth and continued to pad on sheepishly. Not that he in any way regretted opening up to Kuruka, whom he found it oddly easy to talk to, but his tragic background wasn't exactly the type of conversation one usually chose for a first meeting.

Ruler of Everything
No need to apologize! I get that way all the time. Take your time. n.n

Rennekae

Dapper Werewolf

8,600 Points
  • Married 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Streaker 200

RuIerr

Devoted Cultist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:30 am
As Marzel continued on about his sister, Kuruka felt herself sadden a bit. What he was saying wasn't inherently negative (or so she perceived), it fell heavily on her. "Someone... special?" She didn't have anyone in her life that would fulfill the two wonderful words in that phrase, and was about to comment on the feelings in her heart when Marzel reacted to her comment on her family.

Immediately, Kuruka felt her face redden. Luckily, it seemed like Marzel was feeling the same, a bit embarrassed at the brazen nature of that comment. But really, Kuruka herself felt a twinge of excitement. It wasn't that this was a particularly unique event; she'd gotten close to other males before but they had all been so... bland. Marzel, however, intrigued her. She could sense a depth within him that she wanted to explore.

That being said, the comment still felt a bit awkward - she didn't really know how to handle it. Even though she was brightly colored, she'd always thought her coat to be a little plain. Perhaps that was just her getting too used to her own reflection in the waters around the pride land. Stealing a glance over at Marzel, Kuruka decided to leave the comment be. She instead cocked her head when he mentioned his family more. Shaking her head slightly to herself, she shirked the desire to say something about them.

"Oh, you're not bland! Your pelt has a lot of colors that come together to be very... she thought for a moment, "Striking." She looked back over at Marzel, wondering how the descriptor would land. It wasn't inherently flirtatious, which was purposeful as the little social butterfly had always felt just a little bit uncomfortable with initiating things.

Rennekae

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:59 am
Oblivious to the way that Kuruka had interpreted his description of the other lion, Mar tried to explain the relationship without delving too deep into the murky, confusing waters.

"Mhm, he's very special. He found her and convinced her to come here. He... reminds her of someone very dear to us. He and his mate took great care to get her settled here. You may know them, actually - Dhoruba and his mate, Nema."

In truth, Dhoruba didn't remind the siblings of anyone very dear to them; rather, his insanity was someone very dear to them. The chocolate-colored nanny had lived in the pride his entire life, and under the influence of the Insanity had suffered from, first, dissociative identity disorder and then schizophrenia. Both times, the other identity had been the same - a pure black, somewhat prickly, lioness with one golden eye and one brown, named Hasi. An exact description of one of Marzel and Zuni's late sisters. Neither one knew how something like that could come to be, but neither one truly cared. Dhoruba was more than happy to let either of them sit and chat - through him - with their beloved kin from time to time, and that was enough for them.

Mar was glad when Kuruka seemed to skip right over his flirtatious comment. It was unlike the black-and-white male to behave that way. In fact, he had never had a romantic relationship before or even made advances towards one. He hadn't actually known he was even capable of making advances.

While chuckling at the use of the word "colors" to describe his black, white and grey, Mar still felt his heart quicken at the compliment. "Well, thank you. Sometimes the simple things are quite "striking"." The male found himself unusually aware of how he kept stealing sideways glances at the bright female that walked beside him, and how he cared immensely what she thought of him, and the joy he felt at her compliment. He felt a smile pull uncontrollably at his maw.

Ruler of Everything
I think Kuruka may actually be related to Dhoruba somehow, so they may know each other at least in passing.

Rennekae

Dapper Werewolf

8,600 Points
  • Married 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Streaker 200

RuIerr

Devoted Cultist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:22 pm
When Marzel mentioned the male that was special to his sister was already mated, Kuruka realized she'd mistaken what "special" had meant. She decided to ignore it.

"Ah, yes! Dhoruba with the thick, black mane. I don't know him well, but he's always seemed so kind." The little orange lioness glanced over at him and smiled. She was sure she'd seen Nema around but couldn't conjure up a reliable image of her. It was kind of neat that her and Marzel had an acquaintance in common, and one that was reputed to be a very great lion. That boded well — the lion padding on beside her certainly gave off a very warm energy, but she liked the confirmation that he kept similarly-hearted lions around.

Kuruka realized she had been staring at Marzel when she saw a smile twitch its way onto his face. She found herself smiling again and quickly turned away, embarrassed. Looking forward, she noticed that they were nearing their destination. "It looks like we're getting close to the healers." There was a twinge of sadness in her comment, and she opened her mouth in an attempt to cover it up but decided against it, closing her awkwardly gaping jaw. She noticed that over the course of their conversation, she had slowly grown more shy and careful about her words. Something about him threw her off. But she knew it was in a good way, she just needed to get used to the novelty of him.

Rennekae
Giving us an opening to end this soon~ Always down to start another!

[IC] Kizingo'zaa Lands

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff