Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Interest check.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:27 pm
I want to try something different, most of our games revolve around everyone knowing each other first then kicking a**. I would like to start everyone off in a prologue one-on-one rpg. To give each character a chance to introduce their character outside of the group. Then in chapter 1 everyone will group up and kick a** Avenger's style(fun fact, I haven't seen the newest one, don't wreck it. please xp ).

I think that is doable on a play-by-post. So, If you are interested in doing that in a game based around an early Supernatural feel. Let me know, and tell me whether you would like for us to use FATE or Open legends as the system.

To state this first, if you want your character to be paired with another during their prologue, such as a two best friends, siblings, lovers, whatever. I can also work with that. But, if you want to group up, be warned my I will not update the story of your characters until everyone had a chance to post(combat excluded from this).  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:49 pm
While it sounds cool in theory, given how long a "chapter" takes to roll out around here on PBP format, that would be pretty hard to do.

I mean, take Kow's campaign. Three parts over 4 years (almost to the day).

Each of those parts has had roughly 2 irl game sessions of content in them.

I think a faster paced back and forth could work, a few dedicated time blocks over discord or roll20 to hammer out the part ones ahead of time, but I don't think running multiple solo games over play by post will drag on too long, overtax you, and kill things off a bit pre-maturely. Thats just my opinion though.

Personally I will jump on board with any opportunity to play in a FATE or Open Legend game, especially if its going to be superhero themed ... you have activated multiple nerd nodes on that pitch and I will play regardless, but I am a sucker for interaction in my rpgs too.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:05 pm
I am not a fan of roll20, and this is the first time I heard of discord. Role gate, on the other hand, is one I heard of but never played with. That said, I want to keep to do them as a play by post because I know a few of us can't do time blocks and hopefully everyone would reach the end of their own story about the same as everyone else.

The origin stories (because I dislike the word prologue) are meant to take up the same amount of time as Act 3 of Kow's game, about 3-4 months(with posting about the same but could go faster for some). And was meant to be used as a buffer against those who quit early, and slow a group game down.

Edit: that and the origin stories are for the characters to tell their own story, something a lot of times I fear are just side-tales in the main story's plot. Which I feel is a shame.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:33 am
Wow, its been 4 years? Well, I guess we should factor in at least, if not more, a year of that was breaks I took in between arcs. But if you break it down it still comes out to about 2 to 3 play sessions a year.

You know me, I'm always up to trying something new and it would be nice to play something that isn't in a medieval fantasy setting for once, though my knowledge of Supernatural consists of a few penny arcade comics they made about their wives watching it.

I looked into Open Legends and it seemed interesting. I'd have to look into FATE though since I don't know anything about it.  

Kowsauni
Crew

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:32 pm
Supernatural is similar to Scooby Do meets Brothers Grim. The early seasons were about them two traveling countryside combating ghosts, vampires, werewolves, and other ugly things that go bump in the night.

One aspect I like the most about the series is, it is set in a world similar to our own. In that most people have to refuse to believe monsters exists or are marked as lunny by their peers. This would make most hunters veiwed as con men(most actually being Con men to pay for their expenses or to stay one step beyond the law and the grave, doesn't help)at best, serial murderers at worse.

From my understanding, Fate is more narrative driven, compared to DnD. You have aspects that you can invoke(use to your advantage), or compel(used against you). That you can use to change the outcome of an event. You can do this at the cost of FATE points.

With Open Legends closer to how DnD is ran. I haven't actually run either or but, Wizards of the Coast failed to update D20 Modern so I decided to give one of these a try.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:01 pm
Hmm, between the two I'd rather do Open Legend. It seems more strait forward.  

Kowsauni
Crew

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:16 pm
I will give it two more days, but unless if 2 people say FATE, Plan for an Open legend game.

Not counting Pupsage's, "I vote for both", as it doesn't help. xp  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:00 pm
So what I like about Fate is how you get fate points back ... you fail. You willingly fail.

The GM has to be able to use your own traits against you for you to regenerate FATE. So you have to make flawed characters.

However, point of order, SCN, look into Dresden Fate if you want to do Supernatural setting. It is slightly altered, but fits the mood better and is more newbie friendly for people just starting fate so long as you stay in that setting.

Open legend is better if you want to allow players to have complete creativity though rather than picking what amounts to a class in the form of human, werewolf, vampire, wizard ect.

I will say if we do Dresden fate ... holy swordsman all the way.
Normal FATE I will likely be a wizard with supernateral flare.
Open legend ... I have a shadowfiend assasin that I've wanted to try.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:46 pm
The other thing that is cool about FATE, and I don't know if SCN will go by the book on this one, is that the players help create the world. Usually player each create one aspect for the city and a major NPC at a minimum.

With SCNs setup I think it would be cool if we had a world setup, a city setup, and if we are starting in different cities, a what happened with X city afterwards.

To the detriment of Dresden Files FATE I will say one thing, if you play to a level where fully trained wizards are able to be played it creates a weird diconomy.

Wizards are super powerful gods in one type of magic, and good with another, but get a max FATE pool of 1.
One of the vampire types is similarly godly, but has vampire weaknesses and a max Fate of 1
Fae Knights and werewolves come out with an even mix, having a max of like 3.
Holy Knights and hedge witches are basically human.
And humans have a max fate pool of 7.

You can lower your max fate by buying stunts (kind of like feats).

The lowest level forbids anything at a 6+ cost ( vamps and wizards)
Then the next is as above.
And there are higher tiers.

But I have found the preventing wizards from having extra stunts tends to balance them a bit.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:27 pm
Funny you say that, I have the Dresden FATE Books. And it was after rewatching both Supernatural and Dresden Files Season 1s that gave me this idea. sweatdrop

If we were going to play with FATE I was going to use one of the books for beasties. But, my understanding of FATE was that it wasn't as straightforward as say Savage Worlds, or DnD. And that was the reason for the choice.

That said, I was going to implement the "Player help build the world" thing no matter which on won.  

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:33 pm
I mean FATE is as basic as it gets

You have skills.

You roll 4 fudge dice [d6s here instead]

- [1,2] blank, [3,4] or plus [5,6]

- is a -1, blank is 0 + is 1. Add your dice total to your skill total for your result.

Compare result versus opponents roll or the DC. Success degree or failure degree is based on if you met, exceed, fail, or fail by a lot  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:58 pm
Though with you saying that it will be a collaboratively created world either way I vote Open Legend then.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:14 pm
I know, referring more to the use of fate points. No other system, I know of, allows you to modify thing on the fly like aspects and Fate points. (Personally love them for it...)

Sure other games give lighter point things(Action points for DnD, Legendary points for OL, Bennies for Savage World, etc). That give you an advantage at will, yeah. Maybe a reroll of your dice. But, they don't allow you to change the scene retroactively. And it is that kind of straight forwardness I was referring too.

Edit: Open Legends it will be... As I doubt 3 people will plop in with a FATE vote before tomorrow night. Will post the recruitment thing sometime after 9pm tomorrow.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games