Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [D&D 4e] The Sapphire Stand
Main RP: Evenkeel Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AlphabetFish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:53 pm
User Image

Evenkeel

To say the little village of Evenkeel was far flung was putting it mildly. Situated as it was on the bleeding edge of civilization, every footfall outside Evenkeel's eastern border was into uncharted lands. The mountains rose to the north and the forest curled around them on all other sides like a verdant green snake. It was a forbidding and treacherous land, but the soil was sound, and there was plenty of space to make a living on--as long as one is willing to work.

Apparently that sentiment applies even to transplants--although you are affiliated with the prestigious Sapphire Stand, and its even more illustrious parent organization the Sapphire Shield, no horses or wagons were given to you for your days-long trip up the foothills to Evenkeel from the (relatively huge and bustling) town of Shining Tree. Your belongings consist of what you can carry on your person, not the least of which is what you have from the Sapphire Stand. Your silver and blue stone ring and an unsealed letter of introduction to a Justiciar Rustbeard is all you have to prove yourself to the villagers.

As your group of four crests the last hill in the morning chill, you see before you through the early-spring mist a smattering of buildings mostly close together, flanked on all sides by freshly plowed fields. The trees of the forest run right up to their edge, and farmers can be seen even now taking axes to them to expand their fields. It's early morning, yet everyone seems to be out already, running livestock or tending fields. Although you stand now on the edge of the village, no one has paid you much mind just yet. Each person here clearly has much work to do--and that includes each of you.

Per your letter from the Stand, you know your first task is to find this Justiciar Rustbeard and see how he will apply you.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:21 am
It had been a long few days.

The rest of the group had spent a third of the time in rest mode and asked for several stops to refuel. They complained of their lower extremities hurting after the long walk, but had not been lubricating their joints properly. He was travelling with fools, but they were his fools to guard, as were the people he looked on now, and it felt good to have purpose.du

"Once we locate the justicar we can find indoor accommodations for you to rest your fragile bodies upon soft things while you rest. This should improve your morale measurably."

His long neck turned his rounded face to the group and plates moved to reveal a mess of fake teeth meant to be a smile at some point, but the ceramic teeth had a few of their number missing, others were cracked, and the white paint had scraped leaving brown in its place. The smile was not comforting, it was in fact offputting. That was much of the asthetic of Guards the Door though, the metal man had a square casing, that casing was draped in animal hides that had been tanned and sewn together, the face of a large feline displayed prominently at the front. The face, when not smiling, was rounded and turtle like in features, but cartoonish, and it's normal resting position made him look grumpy.

He tried to keep it between that and his smile while talking to people, but often found himself letting his features rest in grumpy turtle mode.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:37 pm
A wry smile would stretch across the face of the young woman in the group, exposing her sharp, shark-like teeth. She looked to be a mix of human and dragon with downward curving horns that curled around the sides of her face, a barbed tail, large, black, scaly wings that glimmered in the sunlight
"Oooh, somebody has a superiority complex," she would respond tauntingly to the warforged. "If you want, we can test your metal body to my scales and claw and see who the more fragile one is. I've cleaved plate mail more than once and I don't need a fancy hammer like you to do it." The half-dragon's words were in jest, but in her tone it was obvious she had no qualms to throwing down if it came to it.

The half-dragon would throw her her arms behind her head and let out a sigh as she stretched her wings. Her hands and bare feet ended in wicked-looking claws. She wore a halter top with shorts and a half skirt giving her an overall sporty appearance. Her ample amounts of exposed skin were a mixture of soft white human flesh and armored-looking black scales. "Anyways, this place looks quite boring. I wonder if this job will be entertaining at all. I might just have to make my own fun, ahehe."  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:13 pm
"And I am sure the honor of slaying a dragonoid would be only partially lost on a sentient golem. Remember we are who we are representing. No fighting in the town, please." The human spoke pinching the bridge of his nose. "We are at the a** end of nowhere. And the Saphire wouldn't send us here if it was just boring." That said he was hoping for a simple and laid back kind of job.

Opening his letter, Rhuan would quickly look over it for any clues on where/what they should look for Rustbeard.

(Why am I playing the responsible one? sweatdrop

Kow: I am assuming we didn't just walk a few days, and not just now start talking. What can I call your character? I mean I don't think it is Saphina. She is a blue dragon.)  

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

AlphabetFish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:35 pm
SCN_ Grey_fox
"And I am sure the honor of slaying a dragonoid would be only partially lost on a sentient golem. Remember we are who we are representing. No fighting in the town, please." The human spoke pinching the bridge of his nose. "We are at the a** end of nowhere. And the Saphire wouldn't send us here if it was just boring." That said he was hoping for a simple and laid back kind of job.

Opening his letter, Rhuan would quickly look over it for any clues on where/what they should look for Rustbeard.

(Why am I playing the responsible one? sweatdrop

Kow: I am assuming we didn't just walk a few days, and not just now start talking. What can I call your character? I mean I don't think it is Saphina. She is a blue dragon.)

The text of Rhaun's letter is short and contains few clear details.

It states you will be paid weekly, "by messenger," but who that person is or when or where to expect them is not listed. The nature of your work is not listed except "tasks as needed" and, upon closer inspection, Rhaun realizes Rustbeard's name has been written over another name that was scratched out (roll Perception to try to decipher the scratched out name). It merely lists the person as a point of contact in the village, but not where they can be found, nor even their first name. No other person in the village is listed.  
SCN_ Grey_fox rolled 1 20-sided dice: 2 Total: 2 (1-20)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:53 pm
Perception Dice Plus 4 equals 6

"Besides anyone else read this note?" The warlord would ask, as he studied it trying to make out the name under Rusty, "It smells about as fishy as a trout."  

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

PupSage rolled 1 20-sided dice: 5 Total: 5 (1-20)

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:07 pm
Guards stares unblinking at the Dragon lady. "Fleshlings enjoy sleeping on bedding. Animals and humans alike. And regardless of your own strength, flesh tears easier than metal. Thus, people are fragile. Your own bodies try to kill you on a regular basis." He turns to the reasonable one, takes out his out letter. "If trout smells, you shouldn't eat it, it has likely spoiled. Paper does not spoil, though it can pick up scents. Are you suggesting that these letters are re-used fish wrappings? How curious." He looks at it closer. "In addition to its scent, this form seems slightly suspicious. Payment delivery is vague and the original recipient either died or was replaced."

5+10=15 Perception  
Kowsauni rolled 2 20-sided dice: 6, 12 Total: 18 (2-40)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:49 pm
The half-dragon would stick her nose up in the air . "Harrumph, he wouldn't be so lucky. Besides, we aren't even in town yet, whats wrong with a bit of sparring." However, their would be a shift in the dragon girl's eyes as Rhuan made mention of who they represented. Once he brought up the letter she would simply shrug. "I don't know. I read it a couple days ago and it seemed pretty vague. Honestly, all I need is someone to point me in the right direction and tell me what I need to kill. I don't know why you have to get all conspiracy theory about this."

The dragon girl would then turn her attention back to the mumblings of the warforged. "And you would do well to remember the scales of a dragon are tougher then even metal. Gah, my words are wasted on a walking door. I'm going to move on ahead and see if I can find this Rustbeard fellow. With a name like that I bet he's a dwarf."

The dragon girl would spread her wings and with a mighty flap she would take off into the sky. However, she was not capable of true flight at this point and would come to land shortly after. Still it was faster then walking so she would continue to fly ahead in these short bursts. As she did so she would begin to look around to try and either find a dwarf or someone who looked like they would be able to point her in the right direction of Rustbeard.

((+16 Perception to spot a dwarf or guard))
((+17 Streetwise to try and find someone else who looks like they might be able to help.))  

Kowsauni
Crew

AlphabetFish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:58 pm
PupSage

SCN_ Grey_fox

The scratched out name continues to puzzle you both. You just can't make it out.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:10 pm
Kowsauni
The half-dragon would stick her nose up in the air . "Harrumph, he wouldn't be so lucky. Besides, we aren't even in town yet, whats wrong with a bit of sparring." However, their would be a shift in the dragon girl's eyes as Rhaun made mention of who they represented. Once he brought up the letter she would simply shrug. "I don't know. I read it a couple days ago and it seemed pretty vague. Honestly, all I need is someone to point me in the right direction and tell me what I need to kill. I don't know why you have to get all conspiracy theory about this."

The dragon girl would then turn her attention back to the mumblings of the warforged. "And you would do well to remember the scales of a dragon are tougher then even metal. Gah, my words are wasted on a walking door. I'm going to move on ahead and see if I can find this Rustbeard fellow. With a name like that I bet he's a dwarf."

The dragon girl would spread her wings and with a mighty flap she would take off into the sky. However, she was not capable of true flight at this point and would come to land shortly after. Still it was faster then walking so she would continue to fly ahead in these short bursts. As she did so she would begin to look around to try and either find a dwarf or someone who looked like they would be able to point her in the right direction of Rustbeard.

((+16 Perception to spot a dwarf or guard))
((+17 Streetwise to try and find someone else who looks like they might be able to help.))

A hush falls through the streets as the villagers see a girl with features of a black dragon fluttering overhead. Men gawk, children point, and their mothers hurry them out of Cymbre's way. She can hear people muttering surreptitiously as she flits overhead, some in awe, some fearful, some darkly suspicious. She hasn't gone far, though, 'til she spots her mark.

A dwarf man, very wide and brawny looking, is hurrying on short legs towards the western edge of the town, flanked by a human woman and a half-elf man, both of whom are wearing chainmail and bearing longswords and shields. The dwarf himself has a brilliant blue sash over his hide armor, and a club at his hip. He doesn't seem to have noticed Cymbre.

((Let's wait a bit for Alzzak to post, please, before you all get too far off from the beginning.))  

AlphabetFish

Alzzak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:35 am
Bahl stayed silent most of the trip and during the back and forth between the dragon girl, the human, and metal thing. He knew if a real fight started between the group he would join in and put everyone in their place. Claws, hammer, metal or scales It wouldn't matter; few things stood up to his axes.

"RRRUUUUUSSSSSSt... BBBBEEEEEEAAAARRd!!!!" The goblin yelled as loud as he could. "SSSAAAAFFFFIIIIIRRRREEEEE SSSSHHHHHIIIIEEEELLLLDDDD!!!"  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:18 am
Cymbre was used to this kind of attention from strangers so she for the most part ignored the reactions of the villagers. In another time she would have relished in their fear and fed off of their suspicion. Her presence in a town would have been something to dread, but that was before the Sapphire Stand, before she had met the Sapphire Shield member that turned her life around--before she had met Lilith.

Though they seemed to be in a rush to reach the west side of town, Cymbre would come to land in front of the blue sashed Dwarf. Knowing the kind of reactions her presence tended to trigger, especially with those who were armed, Cymbre would quickly produce her Sapphire Stand signet ring and brandish it at them. "Good afternoon. I am assuming you are Rustbeard, yes? I am Cymbre the Black. I was sent by the Sapphire Stand, along with some of my other colleagues, to assist your town... Are you in the middle of something?"  

Kowsauni
Crew

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:05 pm
'I would be the one putting you and him together again.' He thought as he ran after her. 'And convince any onlookers we aren't a threat,... Besides, an unmodified letter would be better for an official document. This Rustbeard could be a bandit leader or kingpin...'

"Pardon us... Sapphire agents coming though... She is with me.... Go about your business...She is friendly,I hope... " Rhaun spoke as he tried to keep up with the flying Dragonoid though the onlookers. But, running in armor sucks...

(will roll a diplomacy check if needed,)

After finally catching up to the Black, he also flashed his ring before placing his hand on his sword(just resting on its pommel) as he caught his breath.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:16 pm
User Image

Justiciar Orv Rustbeard

The dwarf would skid to a stop when he heard Bahl suddenly yell. Passersby not stunned by Cymbre would look at the bugbear in surprise and apprehension. One woman passing by even dropped her packages and ran. The group was beginning to attract the attention of every villager out and about. Fortunately Rhaun was able to soothe most people's worries as he followed Cymbre. The word "Sapphire" especially seemed to bring people some calm.

Just as the dwarf and his two guards were squinting forward to see what the loud thing was, Cymbre suddenly landed in front of them. The dwarf and his guards barely had time to think about reaching for their weapons when they found themselves staring at a ring inset with a dull, blue stone.

"Uh... uh..." The dwarf stumbled over his words. He was red in the face from running and clearly flustered by all the sudden commotion. "You're from the Stand? Okay, that explains a lot..."

He would wave distractedly at the guards to stand down, and peer closely at Cymbre's ring, only to have a second ring shown to him by the arriving Rhaun. "All right, all right, I see the rings..."

Straightening up to his full (short) height, he would say, "Well, good of you all to come. You've found me, I'm Rustbeard, Orv Rustbeard. I'm Justiciar here, and that's the highest office of law in the village. That... um, that makes me in charge of it." He looked around at the place suddenly as if surprised by this revelation. Then his eyes wandered back to Rhaun and Cymbre. "So... I imagine you know more than me about what's going on. What exactly are you going to be doing in our little village? Or maybe you'd rather tell me back in my office."

((Cymbre, Rhaun and Rustbeard are within sight of the other members of the party, though not within earshot. Anyone else who wants to get involved can come on over.))  

AlphabetFish

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:16 am
"Huuuhhh?" Cymbre would stand there with an incredulous look upon her face. She recalled how the name on the letter was scratched out and replaced with this guy's. Obviously whoever Mr. Rustbeard replaced didn't fill him in... if they ever got the chance. Perhaps that had something to do with why they were here.

After getting over her initial astonishment at Mr. Rustbeard's response and apparent lack of awareness, Cymbre would continue on. "Ah... Yeah... Maybe we should go back to your office to talk things out." Cymbre would look over at Rhaun, glad to see at least one of them was able to keep up. "There are two more of us by the way. I'm sure you heard one of them shouting a moment ago. I'm sure they will be here shortly and we can go somewhere to talk in private."  
[D&D 4e] The Sapphire Stand

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff