Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
What is your favorite Rp system?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Alzzak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:15 pm
Or do you even have a favorite? Instead like a large number of them or don't like any of them...

The question is being posed for a future rpg I plan to run on this guild. And to get an idea where everyone's likes and dislikes lay.

And as a side question, is anyone accepting characters?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:48 am
I tend to be a fan of open systems. FATE, Open Legend, Savage Worlds.

I also tend to hate systems that begin to drown themselves in rules, which is why I don't like 3.5 or Pathfinder.

And I have a special place in my heart for games with epic character creation systems like Traveler or A Time of War.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:32 pm
Pupsage, you should check out 3:16, Carnage Amongst The Stars (if you like military theme, but the system is still fun). You have 2 stats: Fighting Ability and Nonfighting Ability. If you are trying to harm something, roll FA. Otherwise, its NFA. It always amuses me  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:46 pm
My favorite... has to be the Fantasy Flight Games run of Warhammer 40k games and their d100 system.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:52 pm
My favorite is A Time of War and L5R in general.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:16 pm
Not a real system as dice and what-not but, Free-form

As far as systems are concerned, equal parts DnD 4e/5e, and I am starting to like L5R 4e as I learn more about it(I am still trying to wrap my head around the setting though sweatdrop )  

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:56 am
The setting has been dominated by the results of the card game. Winners often chose unique things and only fairly recently did Alderic tamp down on it. Fantasy Flight has gone further.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:18 am
Maybe, I should have asked which system do you guys think work best in post-USA Civil War/Wild West Era. Bonus points if it is easy to play by post and learn . sweatdrop

In the meantime, does anyone know of any games that are accepting, or thinking of accepting, new players?  

Alzzak

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:03 pm
Alzzak
Maybe, I should have asked which system do you guys think work best in post-USA Civil War/Wild West Era. Bonus points if it is easy to play by post and learn . sweatdrop

In the meantime, does anyone know of any games that are accepting, or thinking of accepting, new players?

I still stand by Open Legend or FATE. You could adapt it to that, or even a Weird West game.

We had a person bail on Kow's game, but idk if he is up to having somebody else jump in.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:31 pm
Alzzak

Deadlands has been high on peoples opinions but I don't think its suitable for a forum due to requiring a deck of cards to play.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

questionsleep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:07 pm
TL;DR
Play to find out what happens

Dungeon World is my favourite, because it uses the familiarity of fantasy ttrpg dungeon crawling, but doesn't rely on video game math or customization. The mechanisms drive the narrative of the game forward through natural and clear outcomes. The core is a 2d6 system to use Moves. Everybody, including the GM, has Moves. The outcomes are always as follows:

1-6 Failure!
7-9 Success, but with consequences
10+ Success!

So let's say you want to use a familiar and easy to grasp concept: Hit thing with sword. In Dungeon World, this move is called Hack n Slash, a move which any class can use. If you fail, you miss and will be attacked. If you succeed with consequences, you land a hit, but you are attacked as well, or your sword falls to the ground - your choice! If you succeed, you simply succeed and aren't attacked. Most of the time, the dice will induce failure, pushing the narrative forward. There is a Move for everything common in RPGs, like ranged attacks or history checks etc, so it's not just for combat. Your class will have it's own unique Moves with cool unique effects.

Wait what about DCs and damage and levels-
Don't worry about all that crap. None of that matters as much, and Dungeon World is way easier to digest than that crusty burnt stale bread you've been gnawing on for decades

Another significant part of Dungeon World for me is, when you fail, you gain experience. Just like real life! I need to fail in order to learn how to do it right next time. You get experience every time you fail!

Another cool part of Dungeon World are the Bonds. During character creation, and throughout your campaign, as you complete them, you form Bonds with your party. On your sheet, this is seen as a prompt, like "I have sworn to protect ___" which you fill in with another party member. Then, when you fulfill that bond, you get experience, and then create a new bond. These Bonds really keep the party glued together and create more dimension and narrative opportunity than the standard "we just met in a bar".

Dungeon World is great because it's easy to play, and easy to GM. There's not a lot of ambiguity, and the game flows forward easily. GM prep is really straightforward and easy to prepare for; the game's Moves and their consequences really inform most of the content of a night.

Thankfully, Dungeon World is just one flavour of many. There are several other game settings using the same system as a skeleton, with some mechanical variation. I'd like to try a cyberpunk version some day, and one called Blades in the Dark. The one that started it all was pos- apocalyptic, hence the umbrella subtitle "Powered by the Apocalypse" or PbtA

PupSage
I tend to be a fan of open systems. FATE, Open Legend, Savage Worlds.

I also tend to hate systems that begin to drown themselves in rules, which is why I don't like 3.5 or Pathfinder.

And I have a special place in my heart for games with epic character creation systems like Traveler or A Time of War.

I want to try out Fate, Savage Worlds, and Traveler

Plainsfox
My favorite is A Time of War and L5R in general.

I've heard a lot of positive things about L5R; I'd love to play in a game some day. Seems very conducive to a tight-knit, long-term group.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games