Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Battletech: Gauging Interest

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you interested in playing in a Battletech roleplaying game?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

CrimeLad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:52 pm
*EDIT* Discord link for those interested! https://discord.gg/j77rDnr

Hello! I'm CrimeLad, here to gauge interest for a Battletech campaign I've had cooking in my head for a while. I was surprised to see there was already an interest thread for a Battletech game, and disappointed to see that it's from 2017. I do hope that there are still some people who would like to do some big stompy robots!

About the campaign: first off, I will not be using any of the battletech RPG systems. I hate them all equally. Instead, we will use only the Battletech tabletop wargame rules for 'mech combat, plus or minus a few of my own changes (which will be clearly noted beforehand). Anything outside of a 'mech will be done via normal forum roleplay; I'll be the final arbiter of any disputes or conflicts in that case (don't worry, I don't hate my players).

Battletech as a system lends itself very well to lots of players. My current goal is at least 4 players, but I'm willing to take on a lot, maybe up to 12 or 16! Additionally, while I only plan to allow 'mechs and possibly vees because of their versatility, if the player count is high enough I'll open up aerospace support as a playable role!

The exact details of the setting also depends on the player count. Regardless, the campaign will start on a planet called Placidia in what was once, and will be again, Oberon Confederation space, in the year 3000. Placidia does not have a world government and can be considered, for all intents and purposes, a periphery s**thole. Two large powers are locked in a cold war on the planets single supercontinent, with a half-dozen minor powers providing a buffer between them. You, as players, will be passed through the meat grinder at the behest of these powers again and again, and maybe, just maybe, make a difference

Don't worry if you don't know or don't have the rules! Battletech is incredibly simple, and I'm willing to teach anyone. However! I do require a certain level of literacy and maturity from my players! I GM games to create stories, so give me something to work with!

I do plan to have a time limit on turns so as to keep the action moving. I'm currently debating on the time I should allow for each turn; I'd very much like some input from you guys.

I also plan to set up a discord to support the game and facilitate the sharing of information in a timely manner. For example, if you are unable to post within the time limit, but you can send me a message on discord, I'll make it happen for you. I also highly encourage collaborating with other players on out of combat posts in my games; I'll elaborate further when things are set in stone.

Thanks for your time, and I'll see you at the table!  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:10 am
There's at least five here. I tried to run a campaign here once, but I didn't have time for it then.  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:15 am
I'm In! I've been wanting to play a MechWarrior table top game for forever.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:28 pm
<.< I really wanted that Time of War game to happen. Kind of loved character creation in that system.

Which brings me to point 2.
I actually always thought that system lent itself more to character rp than mech fighting, and I like mechanics backing up rp a bit.

Are you completely against any kind of mechanics system? I am down to clown for some mech warrior funnies with a sweet merc crew, but I also like to pay my homage to the Dice Gods when I throw my punches and diplomacy on NPCs.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

CrimeLad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:12 pm
Unfortunately, no one could possibly convince me to use AToW, having played in a year-long campaign using the system. I, like you, sort of like the character creation because I'm the kind of person who likes spreadsheets a lot, but as a roleplaying system I find it inadequate despite it's granularity. I also do not feel like putting myself through the headache of tracking that many calc sheets with that many entry fields, let alone checking them for error!

However, I was considering using a lite system like Savage Worlds for out-of-'mech action, but I would prefer not to. 'Mechs are the heart of Battletech and the heart of this campaign; combat outside of them should be *incredibly* rare.

There will be a very lite character creation system of my own creation, in addition to XP tracking for the purposes of increasing gunnery or piloting and gaining Special Piloting Abilities. But I don't think anything beyond that will be necessary.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:55 pm
Where may I find the Battletech tabletop wargame rules so that I may read up on them. I'd like to start familiarizing myself with the system a bit.  

Kowsauni
Crew

CrimeLad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:11 pm
This is the official Quick Start rules pdf.

The actual rules of play start on page 12. There are a few changes to those, including some advanced optional rules that I'll be adding, and stuff we won't be using because it's an RPG, but I'll make a post explaining everything not included there. For now, understanding the basics is plenty. Focus on understanding how movement and facing works, how firing weapons work, how heat works, and how armor, structure, components, and damage to them works. Pretty much everything else is stuff I'll be handling.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:47 am
K, so looking over this.

*Using wargame rules
*Term meat grinder was used
*Was told there won't be much non-mech rp

So what I am gathering here is that you just want to run a wargame over the internet. Not saying thats a bad thing, but combat rolls slow online in a play by post, and roleplay doesn't. Mostly because combat requires waiting on initiative (even when we do a 24 hrs to post limit) and rp goes at its own pace.

So is this just going to be a constant boots on ground mech vs mech assault group game with little to know character development?  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

CrimeLad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:02 am
Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that there wouldn't be RP! There's gonna be tons of roleplaying, both in and out of 'mechs; this is an RPG, just using the wargame rules for combat. What I meant was that out-of-'mech combat wouldn't be very common. The PCs are mechwarriors; fighting on the ground isn't their thing!

What I meant by the term 'meat grinder' was more about the theme of the campaign; by their very nature, mercs are used and abused by their employers. And here it will be even more apparant, as it's a WW1/2 style bleed-for-every-inch-of-ground clash by powers at a near stalemate.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:03 pm
CrimeLad
Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that there wouldn't be RP! There's gonna be tons of roleplaying, both in and out of 'mechs; this is an RPG, just using the wargame rules for combat. What I meant was that out-of-'mech combat wouldn't be very common. The PCs are mechwarriors; fighting on the ground isn't their thing!

What I meant by the term 'meat grinder' was more about the theme of the campaign; by their very nature, mercs are used and abused by their employers. And here it will be even more apparant, as it's a WW1/2 style bleed-for-every-inch-of-ground clash by powers at a near stalemate.

Groovy, I'm in then.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

CrimeLad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:46 pm
And while true infantry combat may not be something I'm going for, there will likely be scuffles to partake in; being mugged while out on the town, a barfight at the nearest watering hole, or a fistfight between rival pilots. Maybe even an assassination attempt or two!  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:12 pm
Oh, and of course, if your 'mech is destroyed or rendered otherwise immobile, you may be forced to undergo some hardships afoot...

I'm sure that's not something you want to do often, though!  

CrimeLad

CrimeLad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:20 pm
I've created the discord server for the campaign. Swing on by and ask any questions you have, I'm usually active there all day.

https://discord.gg/j77rDnr  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff