Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
What can I say, I suck at being... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:29 pm
We lost our Daidoji and I've been keen on figuring out a way to bring in a Seppun guard for my character, so... sure, another player would be welcome~! [/peerpressure]

Unity is definitely getting fascinatingly complex. Political/social games are the biggest draw of L5R for me, so don't be surprised if many of my Cartographers submissions are based on social challenges (I am playing a courtier after all... for the first time, ironically), but the adventures we come across are submitted by all of us, so this game is/will definitely see the most diverse selection of... things you'll find in any campaign.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:05 pm
Kow: I was just looking to add to my campaigns I am in. I know my limit is 2-3 games, depending on the speed of the other player's posts.

Rain: Was "Oh! It's the Acorn game! That's all I needed to know." a vote to restart or continue or drop? I am currently lost on your meaning.. sweatdrop

I know, I only have one saying "join us!"(in a creepy sounding voice), but I thought I would put this here any way...

First, I don't really like the Seppun guard, sorry, but they don't seem that interesting compared to the other Bushi and Courti schools.

A few questions,

*How do you get rank up your skills? I know school techniques are based on insight(which is a math formula revolving around traits and skills), but I can't seem to find where it talks about increasing your skills.

*Are we forced to play a Crane or Imperial? And can we play the Rain Bushi? Kind of self evident on what is meant by the questions, So no more explaining....

Rain Bushi; as found in Unity Occ

GENERIC BUSHI

Benefit: +1 Agility
Honor: 4.5 Honor
Skills: Athletics, Battle, Defense, Kenjutsu (Katana), Kyujutsu, Any 1 Bugei Skill, Any 1 Skill
Outfit: Light Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, Any 1 Weapon, Traveling Pack, 1 koku

Rank 1:
When you are suffering TN penalties due to Wounds, you may make an Earth Roll (ignoring Wound TN penalties) during the Reactions Stage of each Round, with a TN equal to 5+5x the number of Wound Ranks you are currently suffering. If the roll is successful, you may ignore the effects of your Wound penalties until the next Reactions Stage. This Technique does not work once you reach the Down or Out Wound Ranks.

Rank 2:
When you are outnumbered in a skirmish, you gain a bonus to your Armor TN equal to the amount by which the number of enemies exceeds the number of your allies. This bonus cannot exceed the total of your School Rank x2.

Rank 3:
You may attack as a Simple Action when wielding Katana.

Rank 4:
Choose one additional melee weapon; you may attack with that weapon as a Simple Action. Once per skirmish, you may spend a Void Point on a damage roll, regardless of what weapon you are using.

Rank 5:
Choose another melee weapon: you may attack with that weapon as a Simple Action. Additionally, you may spend a Void Point to activate your Rank 1 Technique without requiring an Earth Trait Roll; when you activate it in this way, it lasts a number of Rounds equal to your Fire Ring.

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:58 pm
Skills =XP equal to the level of the skill you are ranking it up to, one level at a time.
Attributes = Level you are increasing it to x4 in XP. same as skills, one level at a time.
Rings except void= lowest attribute in that ring. EG Intelligence of 1 and Agility of 7 means that your Fire ring would be 1
Void= 6x the level you are raising it to. Same as skills, one level at a time.

As far as the generic schools go, I'm sure that many bushi would have reason to be called upon to guard an imperial Herald. Also, I'm sure Rain would love someone to test out the school.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:03 pm
Quote:
Skills =XP equal to the level of the skill you are ranking it up to, one level at a time.
Attributes = Level you are increasing it to x4 in XP. same as skills, one level at a time.
Rings except void= lowest attribute in that ring. EG Intelligence of 1 and Agility of 7 means that your Fire ring would be 1
Void= 6x the level you are raising it to. Same as skills, one level at a time.

I prefer examples. All skills are ranked 1-10 (rarely does anyone get to 10, even 2 or 3 is pretty good). To get a skill from Rank 0 (untrained) to Rank 1, 1 xp. From Rank 1 to Rank 2, 2xp. Rank 2 to Rank 3, 3xp, etc.

There are also skill emphases. They let you reroll any 1's rolled once each, when the emphasis applies. For example, Kenjutsu skill will help with ALL swords (wakizashi, katana, no-dachi, scimitar). But if you have the Katana emphasis of Kenjutsu, you get to reroll 1's when you attack with a katana instead of a different sword. You can have multiple emphases per skill (though capped by your rank in the skill; rank 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 lets you have 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 emphases respectively). 2 xp each.

You have 9 Traits. Everything but Void costs 4x next rank; Void costs 6x. All traits start at 2 before starting modifiers (no negatives). Bringing Strength from Rank 2 to Rank 3 is (3x4) 12 points. Bringing Strength from Rank 3 to Rank 4 is (4x4) 16 points.

For the most part, advantages and disadvantages can only be bought at character generation. You gain more points for having disadvantages, but advantages give you neat perks. The most points you can get for disadvantages is 10. For example, if you take the missing limb disadvantage 4 times (3 point disadvantage), you only get 10 points to spend on other things.

--------------------

Regarding some of the other questions for which school, I'm going to say 'No' for both Generic Bushi and any other Imperial class. The point is for regular samurai to protect the imperial, and having another imperial to do so defeats that purpose. And I'd rather a regular samurai school be played, unless you were a monk or something.

Also note that there are more schools than what is listed in the main rulebook. Last Haiku is a good resource to reference.

EDIT: Oh! You also do not have to play the Crane. Psychofish and Gustyfox did not either but they chose to. Any of the 9 great clans would suffice. There are also minor clans, and some monk options too. But for your first go, I'd strongly encourage a great clan samurai.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:06 pm
SCN_ Grey_fox
Rain: Was "Oh! It's the Acorn game! That's all I needed to know." a vote to restart or continue or drop? I am currently lost on your meaning.. sweatdrop

Kind of both? Acorn wants to be played, but I'm not in a hurry to add more on my plate. The last two Sundays were the only times I've been at my FLGS all summer (I'm used to going 2x week, with an occasional 3x), so I wouldn't mind the break sweatdrop But I'd rather Acorn not spend eternity stabbing water either, y'know?  
SCN_ Grey_fox rolled 5 10-sided dice: 3, 10, 9, 2, 8 Total: 32 (5-50)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:44 pm
Thanks, I read most of the book, I was just missed where it spoke of ranking up the skills(Iaijutsu, Defense, Acting, etc). I just have the Book of Void and GM section to go, though, I think I will evade those... burning_eyes

At the moment, just trying to decide between Six builds, Hida Bushi(current leader), Tattooed Monk, Shinjo Bushi, Mirumoto Taoist Swordsman, Bay Bushi Goju Ninja(I don't know, if the Spider clan would be allowed). And a backstory to work with it...

A side questions; How did you guys lose your Daidoji in Cartographers? The common causes(vanishing player) or death of the character via bandits, battle, bad rice?  

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:48 pm
When the player disappeared, she was retconned and another player (Gustyfox) took her place.

That will be a no on Goju Ninja, but anything else would be okay. Spider Clan is allowed, however. Some of the clan is more public than the rest, and it would really be kind of inappropriate for a shadow-infused ninja to suddenly begin wandering and helping make maps when they're supposed to be on the down-low. sweatdrop If you were to play Spider, the clan would be kind of new'ish; they weren't officially granted the status of a samurai clan until less than a year ago (canonically)! But other samurai will immediately hate and distrust you, so it's a very dangerous idea to play anything Spider sweatdrop

Personally, I've always found Crab to be a good first clan to play. Crab tend to not really give a damn about what other Clans think or do, and you can get away with not being involved in complicated clan politics because that's really not the Crab's thing. It gives a good opportunity to get a feel for who's who without getting penalized for not knowing beforehand.

Also, heavy weapons are fun.

The current party is an imperial payload courtier, a Crane priest/shugenja, and a Crane magistrate. A full-fledged bushi I think is what would best suit the party, but L5R is wonderfully designed in that it's very easy to adjust your build to fill in the party's needs. You can be a very combaty courtier, a very talky caster, or a very knowledge-based warrior if you wanted.

My second character ever was Hida Kazuki, and a fellow player was his twin brother Hida Kazuma. Both were Large, and Dangerously Beautiful. It was a blast. I nearly one-shot an attacking sea serpent, much to the chagrin of the GM 4laugh  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:51 am
What did Jörmungandr ever do to you?  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:13 pm
Technically, I get the same(don't care-ish) attitude from the Unicorn Clan.

Ether way, can someone check the sheet. I just want to verify I did most of it right...

Player: SCN
Name: Hida Ryoto
Clan: Crab
School: Hida Bushi School
Insight: 138
Experience: 50 - 3 unspent
Glory: 1
Honor: 3.5
Taint: 0

EARTH: 3
  • Stamina: 3
  • Willpower: 3

WATER: 3
  • Strength: 3
  • Perception: 3

FIRE: 2
  • Agility: 2
  • Intelligence: 2

AIR: 2
  • Reflexes: 2
  • Awareness: 2

VOID: 2
  • Void: 2
  • Current Void Points: 2

SKILLS
2 - Athletics (Stre)
2 - Defense (Refl)
2 - Heavy Weapon (Agil) - [{Emphases}]
2 - Intimidation (Will)
2 - Kenjutsu (Agil)
2 - Lore: Shadowlands (Inte)
2 - Iaijutsu (Agil)

2 - Juijutsu (Agil)

MASTERY ABILITIES

ADVANTAGES
Large: +1k0 damage of large weapons

DISADVANTAGES
Bad Eyesight: -1K1 Perception and Ranged attacks
Antisocial: -1K1 Social rolls
Lost Love: +5 to all TN, when lost love is brought up, until Void point is spent

TECHNIQUES, SPELLS, KATA, KIHO, SHADOWLANDS POWERS
School Rank 1: Way of the Crab; Ignore Penalties to TN for Heavy Armor, except Stealth, +1k0 damage Heavy Weapons

EQUIPMENT/CURRENCY
Heavy Armor
Sturdy Clothing
Daisho
Heavy Weapon
Traveling Pack
I will come back to this

3 koku

COMBAT
Weapons
Katana - 4k2 - 3k2 - Void point = 4k3 damage
{Weapon} - {Roll to Attack} - {Damage} - {Special Abilities}