Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
Some Roleplaying Questions (A)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ShadowBird12

Questionable Comrade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:50 pm
Eeeeegh admittedly I am rather shy to asking on these kinds of things, but I do have some questions, moreso to roleplaying on Gaia than roleplaying in general.

For a bit of context on these questions, I've been rping and writing for a few years now, but have never looked too deeply into it on Gaia before, so I'm left with some general questions about it. I've looked into the various resources, but have so far been either unable to find answers at all, or the ones given are too vague for my own compulsive need to know details, eheh.

So I guess, rather than rambling on, I'll get straight to the point and list the questions I have? If anyone could answer them I'd be very grateful c:

Do people mostly bring one character into an rp, or do people bring multiple commonly?
The main reason I ask this is because I'm used to platforms that have people play multiple characters, and don't want to end up making a fool out of myself should it be different here. Another question, is whether people post separately or together for different characters.

I'm not sure what most of the acronyms used in titles mean?
The only ones I've really been able to identify are "o/a" and "o/f", the rest I'm unsure of one or both words.

While I have a general idea of what it likely means, can anyone clarify what exactly "lazy literate" means in terms of post length?
Is it just a more lenient literate, or is it more complicated than that?

Do people typically use small or normal font sizes?
I ask this primarily because I have trouble reading past a certain size(Said size being 11), and would like to know whether I should expect it from the get-go or only occasionally.

Do most roleplays use base character roles, or is it mostly free-reign over character creation save for position/title/etc?
Typically, I won't have much preference over either, but it would be nice to know regardless.

What is the average length/level of detail into most application forms from what you've seen?
Do they mostly include basic things(Such as name, age, personality, history, etc.), or do people like to include more detail into them(Such as likes, dislikes, fears, etc.)?

Regardless though, that's just about it for now on questions. Sorry if any of these sound stupid or obvious, I've literally never set foot into a Gaia roleplay before xDD

Anywho, guess I'd better go ahead and hit submit before my shyness convinces me against any of this, haha.
Thank you to anyone who can help me out here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:46 am
I have never really joined an official RP in that forum, so I can't really answer your questions D= You might want to find an approachable thread owner in that forum and PM them your questions. They could also really help you get a feel for what the current trend of the forum is too. Good luck heart  

Auriga La Shock

Mythrill Knight

80,300 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Stargazing Knight 500
  • Shopkeep's Apprentice 500

Madeleine Heilburg

Colorful Sweetheart

25,715 Points
  • Married 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:54 pm
ShadowBird12

Hi there! I thought I would apply my two cents here. I have been an avid roleplayer for 15+ years now and that has been both LARP, PnP, Forum and Chat RP'ing. So I have some experience all over the board. People are more than welcome to chime in if they feel like it ^^

Do people mostly bring one character into an rp, or do people bring multiple commonly?
Honestly, this really depends on the person roleplaying and what you plot together. Sometimes you may plot a scenario that involves other random NPC's in order to make up the scenario, and then you usually discuss with your partner, or partners, who will RP as whom. Sometimes it can be they add another character, but it's more of an NPC like a familiar (if their avis had pets and so on) or something like that, and sometimes it's just one on one biggrin
When in doubt then just sit down and talk about what each of you expects from the RP at hand ^^

I'm not sure what most of the acronyms used in titles mean?
Again, asking will always help! You gotta learn it some way and often in RP communities you learn either by being able to find the solution yourself, by Google and such or simply by RP's asking each other what this and that means. Never be afraid to ask questions! It is certainly not untrue when people say: There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers :3

While I have a general idea of what it likely means, can anyone clarify what exactly "lazy literate" means in terms of post length?
This I am actually not 100% sure of. On tumble and in chat RP's, we normally go with acronyms like: one-liners, para, novella etc. But from my guess, I would say that it's something along the length of a paragraph, maybe less.

Do people typically use small or normal font sizes?
It depends. From what I have learned, from mod to mod. Some like super fancy editing with small fonts, some in italics, some in bold and maybe even some in colour and where's there are some symbols mixed in. Some just like to do it plain and simple with no editing what so ever. The best you can do, if you have trouble reading a smaller font size, is just to ask your partner if they could perhaps make the font-size bigger so it's easier for you to read it. Most people would definitely accommodate so as to make the RP experience joyful for their partners. Communication is key ^^

Do most roleplays use base character roles, or is it mostly free-reign over character creation save for position/title/etc?
That is also something that can vary a lot from person to person. Some people like to make a simple and easy put together character without much detail. Maybe because they haven't thought about it, maybe because they don't feel there's a need for it, or maybe they like to see how their character develops along the way. However, some places require you stick to a certain character sheet they have created where you just copy the text code and fill in your own stuff. More organized places, like devoted RP forums, like to have more fleshed out sheets while on a forum, like Gaia, people can be more free-reign. However, again, it depends. If your partners what to know more about your character, they can always RP it or ask OOC ^^

What is the average length/level of detail into most application forms from what you've seen?
Pretty much answered above. It depends. Some like very long formats, stating that your BG must be at least 500 words. Others are more lenient and laid back. It varies from mod to mod and fandom to fandom. Find some of the fandoms you like, or make an indie character (there you can more or less just write as much or as little as you like ^0^b. But snoop around on Gaia and see what fancies ya biggrin

if you got more questions, feel free to ask! We are always happy to help heart  
☆ Questions and Assistance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games