Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
Changing to Platinum...? (A) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vanilla Acoustic

Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:22 pm
So I haven't been on in ~3ish years...is there a reason why they're trying to make platinum currency a thing?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:21 am
Vanilla Acoustic
So I haven't been on in ~3ish years...is there a reason why they're trying to make platinum currency a thing?

After the increased platinum gains from all over the site -> the introduction does not make any sense at all now to me.

They said the platinum system would 1) battle the rampant economical inflation and 2) help people read their cash amount easier as you basically remove 7 zeros when converting gold to platinum.
Now that even the daily chance gives out literally BILLIONS of gold (I kid you not, I get something between 96 and 212 plats) I cannot help myself but put a big DOUBT sign next to 1).

If you wish to read more what happened when you were gone, click the link. biggrin  

Marc Gosgosh

Supportive Gaian

Auriga La Shock

Mythrill Knight

80,300 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Stargazing Knight 500
  • Shopkeep's Apprentice 500
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:04 am
Marc Gosgosh

After the increased platinum gains from all over the site -> the introduction does not make any sense at all now to me.

They said the platinum system would 1) battle the rampant economical inflation and 2) help people read their cash amount easier as you basically remove 7 zeros when converting gold to platinum.
Now that even the daily chance gives out literally BILLIONS of gold (I kid you not, I get something between 96 and 212 plats) I cannot help myself but put a big DOUBT sign next to 1).

If you wish to read more what happened when you were gone, click the link. biggrin

You're working on a faulty premise and that's why you are getting confused, Marc. They did not create platinum to fix the inflation.

When Lanzer came back, he discovered that it would take an enormous amount of time, years and years, to actual fix the inflation through healthy and normal economic means. With that in mind, he created an alternative: 1. Create a new currency to get rid of all the zeroes, 2. Increase site wide affordability for items via a new alogorithm.

Basically, the concept behind what he did is that inflation doesn't mean anything if everyone on Gaia is able to afford items or quest for them like we were able to back in the day. For example, and these are just random numbers I'm choosing to make the point clearer, 100b isn't a lot of gold if everyone on the site is almost a trillionaire. Yeah the numbers are inflated, but no one is actually being harmed because everyone can afford the items. So, the new site wide algorithm that determines drop rates judges the marketplace and increases or decreases the drop rates to match the marketplace. This ensures that the affordability of items remains.

Recently, Lanzer noticed a bug where not all features were being affected by the algorithm. The daily chance was one of them, and so for the last few months it wasn't giving out the correct amount of platinum. Lanzer fixed the bug and that's why you're seeing such a large increase in platinum prizes from it. The 96 and 212 drops you're getting is what you should have been getting from the very beginning.

Vanilla Acoustic

The concepts behind platinum and the algorithm that came with it can be pretty tricky to understand. I hope my post clarified some things.  
☆ Questions and Assistance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff