Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
Those Little Wish List Icons...? (A)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Medievalia2000

Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:39 am
Hi! Here I am again at my go-to place for getting my burning Newbie questions answered! Thank you all for being so helpful!

My question today regards techno-savvy, of which I am a good bit short!
When in a giveaway we are asked to post our wish list items I see that people are posting in the form of icons that link to items in Marketplace. All I can do is post a link in the form of the title of the object(s).

Can you please instruct me on the steps to posting those little icons like everyone else seems to already know how to do? Thanks!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:12 pm
NorRainForest

I am lazy and therefore I shamelessly copy-paste a bit out of sdrawkcab's Life Hacks for Gaia.

Quote:
Link Item Images to Marketplace
        How to link to the marketplace using the item image:
        Here's the easiest way I've found

Go to the marketplace listing of the item:
        Right click the image and copy the image URL. (You can choose the main icon of the item or any of the poses.)
        In the post a reply box, click the IMG tag and paste (ctrl v) the URL.
        You now have the item image.
        To make it linkable, return to the marketplace listing and copy (ctrl c) the URL of that page.
        Return to the post a reply box. Highlight your image text (including the IMG tags).
        Click the URL button. Paste (ctrl v) the URL of the listing. Click okay. The next prompt appears, asking for the webpage title. Your image and tags should already appear there. Click Okay.
        Done. c:

In all, the code should look like:

[url=URLofMarketListing][img]URLofImage[/img][/url]
        or
        [url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/7095][img]http://s.cdn.gaiaonline.com/images/thumbnails/5e6fb5d61bb7.png[/img][/url]
        Your final product will look like: User Image Well, not exactly. It will look like the item you want and will link to your item.
        Pro tip: The 3rd party browser extension, GaiaUpgrade, has a button that will auto format linkable marketplace item icons for you.

All credit goes to sdrawkcab, you should definitly check out the thread/guide. It even could teach me some things, after being a Gaian for 8 years now. (It's really good)  

Marc Gosgosh

Supportive Gaian

Medievalia2000

Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:20 pm
Thank you Marc! Now, all I have to do is to figure out what all that means, lol!
I'm sure it will be alright but just in case I have any difficulties due to the thickness of my head, I know where to come to ask questions! smile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:41 pm
NorRainForest
Thank you Marc! Now, all I have to do is to figure out what all that means, lol!
I'm sure it will be alright but just in case I have any difficulties due to the thickness of my head, I know where to come to ask questions! smile
dont feel bad,I'm 39!and have no clue about any of this stuff...I just got a smartphone,my first ever,and God help me, I don't know what to do with it,no pun intended...XD...yes I did go there... I have to, so I don't cry forever...Idk how to copy and paste either...Nothing..U're not alone, but,thank goodness I am blonde,or I would be dead.lol  

tilasexcattCR

Desirable Sex Symbol

30,115 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
  • Fashionable Fancy Dress: Divine 250

Medievalia2000

Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:20 am
tilasexcattCR
NorRainForest
dont feel bad,I'm 39!and have no clue about any of this stuff...I just got a smartphone,my first ever,and God help me, I don't know what to do with it,no pun intended...XD...yes I did go there... I have to, so I don't cry forever...Idk how to copy and paste either...Nothing..U're not alone, but,thank goodness I am blonde,or I would be dead.lol

First of all, tilasexcattCR, thank you for one of the best humored posts I have seen in quite some time! Pleased to meet an fellow Newbie "elder", smile biggrin !

If you have a smartphone you're better equipped than I am! If my laptop ever crashes, I'm sunk! Now if you had a desktop computer or a laptop, I could help you learn how to copy/paste but I don't have a tablet or a smart phone, no clue how to use one.

I bet one of the The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild crew would be happy to step in and help you, though. It might be best if you were to start a new topic thread in the Questions and Answers section of the guild.The Guild staff are very vigilant and will probably find your post and help but it would be quicker to catch their attention by starting a new thread.

Also, please feel free to "friend" me if you are currently short on Gaia friends! You can do that by clicking on my avi (avatar). a drop-down menu should appear with a list of actions you can take regarding my account. One of those actions is befriending me. Just scroll down to that selection and click on it. I'll get a notice stating your friendship request (sooner or later depending on how busy the site is and whether I'm online or not) and accept it.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:39 am
NorRainForest
Hi! Here I am again at my go-to place for getting my burning Newbie questions answered! Thank you all for being so helpful!

When in a giveaway we are asked to post our wish list items I see that people are posting in the form of icons that link to items in Marketplace. All I can do is post a link in the form of the title of the object(s).

Can you please instruct me on the steps to posting those little icons like everyone else seems to already know how to do? Thanks!

XD First off, thanks, Marc, for posting that info.

Next, I hope it helped. If not, I had been considering adding little screen shot pictures.

Buuut~ if you're lazy and don't mind doing a little bit of work to install an add-on to your browser for Gaia, consider using GaiaUpgrade. Believe me, I was reluctant to do so at first too, but I love it. XD The usermade extension gives you new features that you can choose to opt in and out of.

My favorite feature is that it adds a button you can click that will auto-format those item icons that link to the marketplace. It's way less steps than making it on your own.

If you decide to use GaiaUpgrade and are having trouble finding the buttons or opting into them, lemme know and I can help troubleshoot.

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

Medievalia2000

Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:49 am
sdrawkcab
NorRainForest

XD First off, thanks, Marc, for posting that info.

Next, I hope it helped. If not, I had been considering adding little screen shot pictures.

Buuut~ if you're lazy and don't mind doing a little bit of work to install an add-on to your browser for Gaia, consider using GaiaUpgrade. Believe me, I was reluctant to do so at first too, but I love it. XD The usermade extension gives you new features that you can choose to opt in and out of.

My favorite feature is that it adds a button you can click that will auto-format those item icons that link to the marketplace. It's way less steps than making it on your own.

If you decide to use GaiaUpgrade and are having trouble finding the buttons or opting into them, lemme know and I can help troubleshoot.

Thanks for the info! I'll think about adding the GaiaUpgrade, just not sure what to do until then...  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:10 am
NorRainForest
Thanks for the info! I'll think about adding the GaiaUpgrade, just not sure what to do until then...

XD Okay, the long way it is~~ c:

It's all about understanding the link that you want to create.

You said you know how to create a link to the marketplace, with the title of the item, right? The link looks like:

[url=LINK]NameOfItem[/url]
[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/3366]KiKi Kitty Plushie (Any)[/url]

So~ in that same spot where you'd normally just write the name of the item, you link an image instead.
So instead of KiKi Kitty Plushie (Any) (NameOfItem)
You write [img]http://s.cdn.gaiaonline.com/images/thumbnails/5d3b69b8d26.png[/img]
in that part of the code.

So
[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/3366]KiKi Kitty Plushie (Any)[/url]
Becomes
[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/3366][img]http://s.cdn.gaiaonline.com/images/thumbnails/5d3b69b8d26.png[/img][/url]

So
KiKi Kitty Plushie (Any)
Becomes
User Image

Up above just described a process of how you can piece it together quickly without having to type it all out.

To get the url of the image you want to use, you right click on the image. Each browser has slightly different wording for this part, but you want to click whatever sounds like "get image link" or "copy image link"
You'll now be able to paste the link to that image. You'll have to tag it in [img][/img] codes to get it to appear as an image tho.  

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
☆ Questions and Assistance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items