Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Chatterbox
What's Your Favorite Disney Movie? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Call Me Nefret

Sweet Egg

57,525 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Battery 500
  • Master Converter 500
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:25 pm
Ὶ șɦѳυɭɗη'ϯ ɓε ϯɾυștεɗ ϯѳ ɭɪѵε αηɗ ɭεϯ gѳ.

And why?

For me, it's Atlantis. It's historical and has varied cast with a ton of interesting stories (and badass women).

Plus I've always wanted to uncover an ancient civilization.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:01 am
IDK if I'd call Atlantis "historical". It's pretty farfetched and over the top just like many other Disney movies like The Emperor's New Groove and Aladdin.

In any case, my vote would have to go to The Incredibles. The Incredibles tells a philosophically-motivated story about the struggles of particularly exceptional people with natural gifts that give them significant advantages over the common man in a world where everyone is expected to be "equal". A similar theme is told in The Legend of Korra which is another series that I enjoyed, although the Equalists aren't the big bads of that series.

Superheroes are relegated to assume their secret identities as their "only identities" and we are shown time and time again that the society they live in "celebrates mediocrity". This very closely parallels our own society today in which the smallest of baby steps are celebrated as some grand accomplishment that people should be proud of just because it makes them better than 1% of the population.

Two lines in the film resonate very strongly with me: In a discussion with her son about his powers, she tells Dash that "everyone's special" to which he responds "Which is another way of saying no one is". This line is echoed later on by the villain of the film Syndrome who states "When everyone's super, no one will be".

This philosophy of punishing those who have gifts simply to make the masses feel better about themselves is absolutely ridiculous and yet that is the course that we have been clinging to over at least the past half decade. A world where your worth to society is based not on merit or skill, but simply on how many pieces of paper you have acquired that say that you're just as good as everyone else. A society in which people are encouraged to enter fields of work that they have absolutely no passion for simply because it nets a bigger paycheck. A world in which my dear Josephine was dissuaded from her passion for astronomy simply because there was more money in being a doctor.

Instead of rewarding the ambitious and passionate, we force them into a box to work as cogs in the machine of our economy simply because it's less work to do so. With every passing day we are creeping closer and closer to a world in which people are a commodity rather than individuals. The surge in suicide rates due to depression are a testament to this as people are constantly told what they should be doing and that the measure of their worth is based entirely on the salary they make.

No longer are people expected to be their own person and create their own purpose and path in their life. The sad part is that once you achieve that end where you are making such a salary to impress the masses, you realize it was nothing at all and that everything you fought so long and hard to achieve means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. After losing your sense of individuality becoming everything they wanted you to be, you have absolutely nothing left in life and it is difficult to pull yourself out of that pit of emptiness.

This is why the central ideals of The Incredibles appeal to me so much. It encourages each of us to be ourselves in spite of what the world may think of us. Even when the whole world demonizes us for being proud of who we are, to stand up and reject their disparaging looks is what will ultimately bring us the most happiness in life.  

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Call Me Nefret

Sweet Egg

57,525 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Battery 500
  • Master Converter 500
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:27 am
maui boy no ka oi

I'm not referring to the overall plot of Atlantis, I'm talking about the setting beyond it. It's one of the few Disney movies that gives very definitive clues as to when it's taking place and the backgrounds of the other people. There are mentions of the German Kaiser, the Rough Riders on San Juan Hill, and Coney Island.

As for The Incredibles, I am a fan of it. But after hearing the theory that all supers, heroes and villains, are made by the government in giant play to inspire patriotism I can't watch it the same way. xD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:16 am
Call Me Nefret
maui boy no ka oi

I'm not referring to the overall plot of Atlantis, I'm talking about the setting beyond it. It's one of the few Disney movies that gives very definitive clues as to when it's taking place and the backgrounds of the other people. There are mentions of the German Kaiser, the Rough Riders on San Juan Hill, and Coney Island.

As for The Incredibles, I am a fan of it. But after hearing the theory that all supers, heroes and villains, are made by the government in giant play to inspire patriotism I can't watch it the same way. xD

Oh boy, you better not watch the Angry Birds movie then LOL. In any case, there aren't many Disney films I didn't enjoy honestly. Generally speaking, they make good s**t. Reminding me of animated films, what did you think of An American Tail?  

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Call Me Nefret

Sweet Egg

57,525 Points
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Battery 500
  • Master Converter 500
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:27 pm
maui boy no ka oi
Oh boy, you better not watch the Angry Birds movie then LOL. In any case, there aren't many Disney films I didn't enjoy honestly. Generally speaking, they make good s**t. Reminding me of animated films, what did you think of An American Tail?

Oh man, it's been years since I've watched that. But I do remember it giving me the feels.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:31 am
Call Me Nefret

And why?

For me, it's Atlantis. It's historical and has varied cast with a ton of interesting stories (and badass women).

Plus I've always wanted to uncover an ancient civilization.

My favorite movie has to be Mulan because the lesson there is to follow your heart and not do something just because someone says to.  

Ochru

Rysabi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:56 am
My favorite one is Robin Hood. I know it isn't their best according to critics, but I just love the animals and the story. Personally, I think they did a good job on the animals and art. I also like how Prince John acts, he's just so wimpy and dumb. It's a cute movie for what it is.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:40 pm
Rysabi
My favorite one is Robin Hood. I know it isn't their best according to critics, but I just love the animals and the story. Personally, I think they did a good job on the animals and art. I also like how Prince John acts, he's just so wimpy and dumb. It's a cute movie for what it is.

That one is one of the ones I didn't like because it promoted stealing. Steal from the rich and give to the poor. Stealing is stealing and its wrong!  

Ochru

Darkerdemons

Destructive Daredevil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:56 pm
Lion King (followed closely by Mulan and Brave). heart

Hm... now the tough part: reasons.

Lion King: I think there are so many scenes that I felt as a kid and still feel years later. Mufasa’s fall, Mufasa’s spirit in the sky, Simba ascending. Also love the art and music, especially for the opening ‘Circle of Life’.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:57 pm
Darkerdemons

Lion King: I think there are so many scenes that I felt as a kid and still feel years later. Mufasa’s fall, Mufasa’s spirit in the sky, Simba ascending. Also love the art and music, especially for the opening ‘Circle of Life’.

I thought that the Lion King was a little sad as it did bring out the water works in me. But then, in a way, its a look at how some people view death.  

Ochru

AngelMuerto

Avenger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:48 pm
Rysabi

that my favorite disney movie as well.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:10 pm
Ochru
Darkerdemons

I thought that the Lion King was a little sad as it did bring out the water works in me. But then, in a way, its a look at how some people view death.

True. What do you like about Lion King?  

Darkerdemons

Destructive Daredevil

empress dee

Skilled Guildswoman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:55 am
My favorite disney movie was Aladdin.

True there was stealing in it and that's wrong, but the moral of that story was more about being honest and about not being greedy.

I loved the Hakuna Mattata song in the Lion King. I had my nephew Nova somewhat addicted to that song. lol  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:03 pm
Darkerdemons
Ochru
Darkerdemons

True. What do you like about Lion King?

The fact that its about animals.  

Ochru

Darkerdemons

Destructive Daredevil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:17 pm
empress dee
My favorite disney movie was Aladdin.

True there was stealing in it and that's wrong, but the moral of that story was more about being honest and about not being greedy.

I loved the Hakuna Mattata song in the Lion King. I had my nephew Nova somewhat addicted to that song. lol

Hakuna Matata is an addicting song. Just saying the name and I can hear the bouncy tune.

If I remember correctly, the original proposed version was twice as long since Timon’s history was also included.

Aladdin was one of my first Disney movies. Really want to see the cartoon again before I watch the live action.  
☆ Chatterbox

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff