Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
"Your Aquarium Will Start Glowing..." (A)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Medievalia2000

Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:38 pm
OK, another dumb question:
Daily I see a message that my aquarium will begin glowing with one fish for 10 minutes during some time of the day or night. What does it mean? If I manage to get there at the right time will I get a fish if I click on it?

I tried that once and didn't notice anything different for that 10 minute period, no new fish, didn't even notice one of my own fish glowing, but then I don't have the best eyesight.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:08 am
The spoiler below explains it all, but here's the long story short:
What that means is that the Booty Grab game is available for other users to play your tank during that time. Don't worry about those PMs unless you have a good Booty Grab tank full of the good fish and plan on getting users to play your tank. ... Yes, you can get some gold from it.. but you won't get a ton of users playing it unless your tank is well stocked full of the fish that drop lots of gold. A tank full of the basic starter goldfish and such is not going to entice the majority of Booty Grabbers unless they really want to be nice.

If you're not interested in setting up a BG tank for others to play, you can opt out of those PMs. In Account Settings, find the "Aquarium status" option on the right hand side (middle ish). Uncheck that option to stop getting PMs.

Also, I say it in the spoiler below.. but~ we can't see our own tanks glow. XD; Silly aspect of the game. Sooo you didn't miss anything when you looked at your tank during that glow period. You can't see your own tank glow. Users rely on those PMs and other users telling them when they see the tank glowing.

Yes @ your other post. XD I think you basically figured it out, but just in case...

You're right, there is a disconnect between aquariums and the Booty Grab (BG) game. It's been difficult to describe the game ever since it was released. ...Once you see how it works, it's a simple concept. However, it's definitely hard to grasp the basics without a guide.

Okay, so~ there's a BG game.
At one time, BG was the best way to earn gold on the site (if it didn't lag your computer).
When a tank glows, users can click that tank to start a mini game. A pop-up appears where the user can arrow their avatar from side to side to collect gold, avoiding power downs and collecting power ups.
The game is free to play. A user gets to keep any gold that they collect. Also, the owner of the tank gets a percentage of the gold that the player got.

SO~ it's a great game for players because it's free to play and they get to keep a lot of gold.
If you want to try playing BG, go to the aquarium forum, click on any thread with "glowing" in the title. You'll likely see a tank in the signature that says "Booty Grab" on it. That means that it's glowing. Click the tank and the mini game will appear.

But~ there's also an incentive for tank owners.
Certain fish drop more gold or can drop special items that users want. The more gold that players collect, the more gold you get for doing almost nothing.
Sooo, if you have a good tank, you want to take advantage of those times when it glows. What people do is make what we call a "glow thread" and.. when it's time that your tank will glow, you bump your thread so that users will play the tank.
You can't see your own tank glow. You also cannot play BG off your own tank; only other tanks.

With all that said, Darkerdemon's Booty Grab guide explains this all very well. c:

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

Medievalia2000

Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:49 am
Also, I say it in the spoiler below.. but~ we can't see our own tanks glow. XD; Silly aspect of the game. Sooo you didn't miss anything when you looked at your tank during that glow period. You can't see your own tank glow. Users rely on those PMs and other users telling them when they see the tank glowing.

Yes @ your other post. XD I think you basically figured it out, but just in case...

You're right, there is a disconnect between aquariums and the Booty Grab (BG) game. It's been difficult to describe the game ever since it was released. ...Once you see how it works, it's a simple concept. However, it's definitely hard to grasp the basics without a guide.

Okay, so~ there's a BG game.
At one time, BG was the best way to earn gold on the site (if it didn't lag your computer).
When a tank glows, users can click that tank to start a mini game. A pop-up appears where the user can arrow their avatar from side to side to collect gold, avoiding power downs and collecting power ups.
The game is free to play. A user gets to keep any gold that they collect. Also, the owner of the tank gets a percentage of the gold that the player got.

SO~ it's a great game for players because it's free to play and they get to keep a lot of gold.

With all that said, Darkerdemon's Booty Grab guide explains this all very well. c:

Ok, thanks! Now I understand how the game works in my tank; but, I'm still not sure how to play other tanks. I don't get any messages from friends tanks telling me booty grab is "on". IDK, maybe the experienced members have disconnected the "Grab" but I know for sure that I have at least one friend that isn't aware of the "disconnect". I know this because she joined because of me and I'm just finding out about it myself. She relies on me to keep her informed about these things. So, I'm a little thick headed. How do I know when other people's tanks are glowing?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:46 pm
NorRainForest
Ok, thanks! Now I understand how the game works in my tank; but, I'm still not sure how to play other tanks. I don't get any messages from friends tanks telling me booty grab is "on". IDK, maybe the experienced members have disconnected the "Grab" but I know for sure that I have at least one friend that isn't aware of the "disconnect". I know this because she joined because of me and I'm just finding out about it myself. She relies on me to keep her informed about these things. So, I'm a little thick headed. How do I know when other people's tanks are glowing?

Okay, so~
You won't know when your friend's tank will glow unless s/he tells you what their glow time frame will be or you happen to see it glowing.
You know someone's tank is glowing when it says Booty Grab. You can find glowing tanks in the aquarium forum (and all around the forums at random in signatures).
With all this said, I'm also technically lying to you. There are user-made tools that will tell you that a friend's tank is glowing. (The tools let you make a link that says when your tank is glowing. Users make lists of these links. That way, you can scroll through a list and click on a tank if the tool says that it's glowing.)

The tools used to be better, but Gaia changed the coding. Now the tool can only give a 2-minute warning before the tank glows. The tool will then say the tank is glowing during the duration of the glow.
Here's a random user's glow thread glow thread. All those links in his first post are examples of a user-made tool. You don't have to individually go visit all of those user's signatures to check to see if their tank is glowing. If a tank is glowing, that "Not Glowing" text would change to say that it's glowing.

You have to set up a link. Darkerdemons explains how to make one of those links in the "how do I make a glow timer?" section. (ctrl f that phrase to find the section.)

Also @ .@ I gave you outdated info in my last post. I knew that the Booty Grab community and game had become less popular, but I didn't realize that it was so dead. > <;
In the past, you could refresh the Aquarium Forum, click on any thread with "glow" or "glowing" in the title and you'd find a glowing tank. (Because other users bumped the thread when the tank was glowing.) You could play that game, bump the thread to be kind to the owner, and refresh the aquarium forum again to find another glowing tank. The whole first page of the forum was bursting with glowing tanks. That method was popular and made it easy to play BG without really having to understand anything about how it all works.
Now? I just saw the Aquarium Forum and can't believe how dead it is. O: In order to play other tanks, you might have better luck finding a glowing thread in the Booty Grab Guilds.

Extra side note: You know how you keep hearing people talk about Lake Kindred? That's because it's the current feature that makes the most gold. Um, the features that Gaia tends to focus on are its most newly released features. Those features often allow people to make lots of gold... and... remain popular while the staff keep updating it. ...Until some new feature becomes spotlighted.
Usually. Right now, LK is the fad. BG used to be as big as LK is now... but BG was popular for many years, but has been replaced and mostly forgotten as far as updates go. So XD; what I'm trying to say is.... it might be best to focus your energy on LK right now instead of trying to find a glowing tank. @ .@;;;

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:52 pm
XD I'm making this all more complicated than it needs to be.
It's good to understand how BG works so that you can click on a tank if you happen to see one glowing.
It's also good to know which fish give the best results. For example, you want to click on a glowing tank of dolphins. You do not want to click on a glowing tank of goldfish. The amount of gold you earn for playing the game would not be worth your time (even though it's such a fast game).

I wouldn't focus on finding tanks as your main source of Gaia income.
... Darkerdemons might come in here and dispute that statement. XD; But maybe she knows some of the deep secrets of the game.

In general, right now, I'd say it's not worth your time to hunt down glowing tanks. x -x; It's just worth it if you happen to find some. (Orrrr if you find a good guild that's keeping a large list of tanks and their glow links. And you happen to skim those links every once in a while in case a tank is glowing.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:10 pm
Thank you, Sdrawcab, for all this information! It's good to know! smile  

Medievalia2000

Phantom

anna of green acres

Shy Friend

16,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:05 pm
I have a friend who has a snow flake in her aquarium tank and can't find it. she's gotten rid of all the beach balls and snow flakes in her inventory. any thing that might be some thing to worry about. Maybe you or someone can help???? let me know anna  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:56 pm
anna of green acres
I have a friend who has a snow flake in her aquarium tank and can't find it. she's gotten rid of all the beach balls and snow flakes in her inventory. any thing that might be some thing to worry about. Maybe you or someone can help???? let me know anna

What exactly is her glitch? The snowflake still appears even though she doesn't have any in her inventory? I know this is going to sound silly, but has she made sure to re-save the tank without the snowflake after she did that? > < I know it's supposed to work just fine as soon as the snowflake is out of the inventory <.<;; but.. worth a shot?

Um, Darkerdemons has a list of common glitches to check.
But it sounds like you guys have already checked for that.

I think the best thing would be for her to post in the Bug Report & Technical Support Forum. This explains the post format. Make sure that she is as descriptive as possible about her tank error. And mentions that she has no snowflakes or beach balls in her inventory.
The users who frequent that forum are usually up to date with glitches and know some workarounds.

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

anna of green acres

Shy Friend

16,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:02 pm
sdrawkcab
anna of green acres

What exactly is her glitch? The snowflake still appears even though she doesn't have any in her inventory? I know this is going to sound silly, but has she made sure to re-save the tank without the snowflake after she did that? > < I know it's supposed to work just fine as soon as the snowflake is out of the inventory <.<;; but.. worth a shot?

Um, Darkerdemons has a list of common glitches to check.
But it sounds like you guys have already checked for that.

I think the best thing would be for her to post in the Bug Report & Technical Support Forum. This explains the post format. Make sure that she is as descriptive as possible about her tank error. And mentions that she has no snowflakes or beach balls in her inventory.
The users who frequent that forum are usually up to date with glitches and know some workarounds.

Ty!  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:13 pm
NorRainForest
Thank you, Sdrawcab, for all this information! It's good to know! smile

Welcome to Gaia online. whee whee whee whee whee  

yummycupcakessparkles

12,950 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100

Medievalia2000

Phantom