Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Questions and Assistance
I'm Not Just a Little Slow... (A)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Medievalia2000

Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:50 pm
I'm already 22 days old and just realized I can change my avatar's hand positions and sit or stand by using the icons under my avatar in Dress Up just like I can change clothes. Lol, I'm not just a little slow! emotion_jawdrop

What I haven't yet figured out is how to use the avatar builder to change my body type. I tried and I'm not sure, but, I think all I did was either take my own pic or maybe download something to my computer. Duh!!!!

I'm beginning to think I'm hopelessly technologically disabled. redface

What bugs me more is that nice people gift me things and I can't even get them properly out of the package these multiple items come in and be able to wear them all at the same time. For some reason, I can only equip one item of multiple items in a set at a time. That just doesn't seem right to me (double duh!!) I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I hope the damage is not irreparable.

I tried everything i could think of and all I have done is get one item out of a box and that had multiple items in it, and it is in the wrong place, it's in accessories or something and it's a skirt, if I remember correctly.

Don't even know how I managed that. I couldn't duplicate that move if I tried.

Yeah, I definitely need help. eek

rofl I know, I'm funny!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:58 am
Hello again biggrin
Getting used to Gaia took me a while too, I´ve been a member since 2004 and I still have some issues with new things that are applied to the game, haha!
But when it comes to the items, unpacking them is done in the inventory option, found under "My Gaia" in the toolbar. There you simply find the bundle/gift/mythrill coin, probably located under the "special". There you´ll also find your RIGS (if you get them from Lake Kindred) and your daily log in rewards ^^

In terms of equipping them. You can only choose one item from a multiple item set to wear at the time, so no worries, your´re not doing anything wrong at all biggrin  

Madeleine Heilburg

Colorful Sweetheart

25,715 Points
  • Married 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100

Medievalia2000

Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:55 am
Madeleine Heilburg
Hello again biggrin
Getting used to Gaia took me a while too, I´ve been a member since 2004 and I still have some issues with new things that are applied to the game, haha!
But when it comes to the items, unpacking them is done in the inventory option, found under "My Gaia" in the toolbar. There you simply find the bundle/gift/mythrill coin, probably located under the "special". There you´ll also find your RIGS (if you get them from Lake Kindred) and your daily log in rewards ^^

In terms of equipping them. You can only choose one item from a multiple item set to wear at the time, so no worries, your´re not doing anything wrong at all biggrin

Hi, Madeline! Thank you for your input! Yes, I found out that that was the issue from a donor. I was confused because the first multiple item things I got at Gaia's stores allowed me to wear the whole shebang that was offered, example, a cloak may be worn with or without the hood. So I just assumed that the item that was gifted to me was the same thing.

Lol, I was wrong, as you have already guessed!

Thank you so much for being caring enough to reply to my post! You're such a helpful person, as well as being a Dainty Fairy! biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:04 am
Quote:
What I haven't yet figured out is how to use the avatar builder to change my body type. I tried and I'm not sure, but, I think all I did was either take my own pic or maybe download something to my computer. Duh!!!!

In this case, the Avatar Builder (AB) is poorly named. What it does is allows you to create essentially "dream avatars" of what you'd want to look like.
Only changes made in Dress Up will actually affect your avatar. And, heck, you can make a lot of "dream avatars" by using the search function on that page too.
But! You want to know how to change body type. To change the actual base itself, you'll want to buy a potion from the Skin Tyte shop. (You could search the marketplace too, but users usually overprice gold shop items like potions.) Whatever base you want from AB, there should be a potion to match it.
To return human, buy a human potion in the skin color you'd like.
To use the potions, be sure to head to the special tab of your inventory and use them.

Uhhhh other related notes:
Halloween Skins: Some skins were released during past events. You'll find those potions at the Treehouse. The problem with that shop... is that it uses the "wing sticker" form of currency. Wing Stickers are something that we collect during events. ... There hasn't been an event yet for you XD so I don't believe you have wing stickers yet. (Keep your eyes peeled during Easter. There should be a blue wing on the main event page. Click it once each day to earn stickers. The problem with the stickers is that they are "soulbound" to accounts. They can't be traded or bought with other currency. You have to collect your own.
Users can buy items with their wing stickers and sell them on the marketplace for gold. It's up to you whether you think the gold price is worth it, or whether you'd like to wait until you've collected enough wing stickers.

Animal base: In order to use the animal bases (affectionately called "paw" bases), you pick that option from the Dress Up screen. If you look at the yellow Save button, you'll see a scroll bar with heads. Currently, the human head is selected. If you click one of the other heads, your avatar will turn into one of the paws.
(Side note: I believe that this achievement is still active... Save your avatar as each of the paw bases and you'll get achievements for each first save. Remember that there's arrows there and more heads to scroll through.)
Edit; Just remembered that I meant to add something else. Paw avatars can only wear items tagged [animal]. So to be a paw, you'll need some of the [animal] items. (Same goes, the human bases can't wear [animal] items.) But a lot of items are made in both human and animal forms. They are two separate items. If you want to wear the item on both bases, you'll need to own the proper form(s) of the item.

Skins: Often, you'll see users with skin tones that are different from all of those bases. That's because a lot of items have "skin" poses. The advantage of the skin items is that you can equip and unequip them whenever. Like, as soon as you just take the pose off, you're still the human or paw base you started with. An example of a skin is: User Image and User Image

Edit; *laughs* I forgot that I wanted to say something else. The AB is often used to "ghost" other people's avatars.
At the top of the AB page, you'll see a spot where you can type. If you put someone's user number into that bar, you can make an avatar with their base. You can also change the search from Item DB to Inventory to be restricted to use just their items. When you save the avatar, you save an image of that avatar... but you don't change their actual avatar.
If you see people asking others to make them an avatar, it will usually be through this feature.
To find someone's usernumber, it's the number in their profile. For example, yours is 41359843
Now! Keep this in mind. Anyone at any time can "ghost" you, change the search to "inventory" and see all the items that you own. Some people don't like this. So.. if you want to block the ability to do that, go to the AB page, and make sure that "Allow Ghosting" is not checked. (It's an option floating above the avatar images.)

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:09 am
And don't worry about asking questions! You're doing very well. XD This site is difficult to navigate. Ask questions, and we can help you assimilate more quickly.
Many of us only know this stuff so well because we had the advantage of being here before the feature was released.

Like, for example, I was here before we could move the avatar's arms (or sit or turn around). So XD I had the advantage of seeing it all for the first time when it was released.... so I know it exists. And as we got more and more features, I had the advantage of learning them all one at a time. XD ...Not being plopped into a Gaian world full of soooo many (often hidden) features. ...To have to learn it all at once.. @ .@ you are doing well.

Also, what you're referring to is a "pose." When you have an item that offers multiple poses, you can only wear one of those poses at a time. ... If you see someone wearing multiple poses of that item, that means they own multiples of that item. Wearing 3 poses? They own and have 3 of that item equipped on their avatar.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:24 am
Hey, you have been you long on this site, Nor? 2 months? EDIT: 22 days is not enough to figure out the basics mrgreen at least I needed this long or even longer

Yea, I have been here for at least half of the time since 2009 and there are still things I have not figured out how they work (like changing your chat colour in Fishing razz )
Learning needs time and repition...as easy as it seems Gaia is quite complex (mechanic whise; dont get me startet with human interaction lol...but that's maybe just me because I am a scrub concerningthat) and cannot be learned in whole within some mere months.

Also, on that pose thing: I have right now 3 copies of the Dragon Master item equipped. I think they dont show 3 times at my equipped list. (You can see that if the person enabled it when you click at the "online"/"offline" box below a character who made a post.

Marc Gosgosh

Supportive Gaian

Marc Gosgosh

Supportive Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:34 am
Moreover, if you want to try out ghosting (and find possibly some nice background/skin items you might need...I would trade wink ) my number is 19882805.

But keep in mind that most items in the front are not for trading; except for multiples of a background item like Heavenly Sky for example.
EDIT: to be sure, everything from page 4 onwards is free to be hunted out of my inventory ^^

☆ Questions and Assistance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games