Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Chatterbox
Do you have a signature look?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you have a signature look on Gaia?
  Yes, I tend to stick to a certain style!
  I rotate between a few themes.
  No, I'm into changing with my mood.
View Results

Vishkah

Lavish Lunatic

20,875 Points
  • Sweet Diss, Sis 200
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Attending the Ball 25
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:44 pm

I've been thinking about things we could talk about, and since everyone on this site has an avatar to represent themselves, I thought we could talk Gaia items!

Here are a few questions to get us started. Naturally, you can just pick one:

☆ If you had to pick your favorite Gaia items, what would they be and why? Are they things you wear all the time, or is your choice based on something else?

☆ Which items do you think are fantastic, design-wise?

☆ Do you have a signature look or a style you prefer? Is it a character or a representation of some aspect of you, like a hobby, etc?

☆ If you could collect a "set" of items, what would they be and why? Do you collect wings, halos, fairy items? Perhaps a matching set of colors?

☆ What gets the most use in your inventory? Are there items that you feel are a permanent part of your look on Gaia?

☆ Are there any items on Gaia that you love the look of, but wouldn't wear? Why?

I thought this would be a fun way to learn about each other's styles and tastes, as well as the choices we make when we're dressing up. Plus, we all use the Marketplace and Avatars, so anyone can join in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:34 pm
I wish I had a signature look. XD There are so many upsides. People tend to remember avatars well. It's easier to get lost in the crowd when your avatar is always something new. Plus, I've seen some people have their main looks for years. YEARS. It's been pretty cool to watch them tweak their look slowly over the years as new, perfect items get released.

I tried sticking to one look when I first joined. Tried.
It only worked for a while since I was too poor to afford much of anything else anyway.
But even tho I only had, like, 10 items... I still kept switching around my look as often as I could. And my goal was to amass enough items so that I could make new avatars. @ 3@

I had "character" items for a while that I tried to incorportate into each avatar. It held me back though. I (and most of the site) was into matching. And I found it tedious to always include a certain color in my outfits just to keep my character items equipped.

So I nixed the character.
And I felt so free!

Over the years, i still toyed with the idea of having a character and sticking to one style. Aaannnddd I sometimes can stick with that character for a while. But I feel too restricted. I like to play around with all sorts of items and styles.

But, oh! I just remembered the main reason why I'd like to have a character. XD Art. Art of your avatar.. you know... actually looks like "you" if you at least stick to a theme, let alone a specific character. I've got an art collection of my avatar from over the years. And I cherish it. But the art sure doesn't look like it's all for one avatar (character).

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

Vishkah

Lavish Lunatic

20,875 Points
  • Sweet Diss, Sis 200
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Attending the Ball 25
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:56 pm
sdrawkcab
I wish I had a signature look. XD There are so many upsides. People tend to remember avatars well. It's easier to get lost in the crowd when your avatar is always something new.

It's true - I honestly used to remember people by their avatars, until I realized that on a dress up site where you can transform your look on a regular basis, this was an absurd concept. I still think of certain people in terms of their avatars - people like Ebania or Ely, for example, who tend to keep to certain eyes/hair colors or a set of a few looks. Naturally, I can't look at a Cheepz without thinking that somehow, it's Ely. I'll never look at that item the same way again.

I have a confession to make - more than once in a chat thread, I actually used to look at people I'd been having conversations with or my own Gaia friends, scroll straight past them and only realize after a while that I was in the same thread as someone I knew who had changed their look since I'd seen them last. I've made a point to glance through people's usernames ever since.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:36 am
Vishkah
sdrawkcab
I wish I had a signature look. XD There are so many upsides. People tend to remember avatars well. It's easier to get lost in the crowd when your avatar is always something new.

It's true - I honestly used to remember people by their avatars, until I realized that on a dress up site where you can transform your look on a regular basis, this was an absurd concept. I still think of certain people in terms of their avatars - people like Ebania or Ely, for example, who tend to keep to certain eyes/hair colors or a set of a few looks. Naturally, I can't look at a Cheepz without thinking that somehow, it's Ely. I'll never look at that item the same way again.

I have a confession to make - more than once in a chat thread, I actually used to look at people I'd been having conversations with or my own Gaia friends, scroll straight past them and only realize after a while that I was in the same thread as someone I knew who had changed their look since I'd seen them last. I've made a point to glance through people's usernames ever since.

Totally. A lot of people do keep the same overall style... And XD same here. Ely is cheeps. Always.

o: See, I envy that you can remember people by username. I can... up to a point. I mean, I totally used to remember usernames. Lately though, I've been in threads, recognized usernames and didn't know whether to say hi or not. XD; My memory is getting foggy. I don't remember if I've talked with those users before, or if I've just seen their names so often (like in GCD threads) that I just feel like I know the person. XDD

I'd say most of the users on my friends list keep to one style... So I can usually recognize them. It helps that the site also makes their names blue. > <;;; So I guess I've gotten lazy? Maybe.

Jumping to another one of the prompts, do you collect any sets of items? I used to collect the MCs each month back when items gained value the older they were. XD I always hoped I could retire off my collection. Apparently, everyone else did too because it never gained any real value. .... And then people fell in love with EIs, REIs, SDPlus Dolls, RIG/CI pets, you name it. And my collection of letters is.. nearly worthless. .... I also didn't like those items much, so it's not like I'll get use out of them. I eventually talked myself into giving up on my collection and told myself to only buy items that I like. XD That way, I really don't care about market value.
Oh! I also used to collect all the cats. o uo I had at least one of every cat item on Gaia. ... And then RIG pets became a thing. XD; And it was either... save up for cats and never have any other type of Gaia item again (because I couldn't even afford RIG Pets) orrrr give up on the collection. Now, I'm not usually one to be like "give up on your dreams!" but I felt so free after I gave up on the cat collection. Again, free to buy other items that I would rather play with instead.

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

xAdelienx

Alien Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:50 pm
When I started in Gaia my signature look was to have a feminine face but keep the body masculine. As well gentleman attire or a gentleman warrior. Though I left and came back a few months ago my signature style completely change. Now is more surrounded with technology (I am an alien) as I always choose object heads. I love object heads, I am a sucker for them. I love them! Makes me happy that more object heads are being made however it surprise me that many don't actually like object heads and monster items. Though those two items that I mention can be extremely expensive! Ridiculous expensive!

Another thing when it comes to my signature look nowadays I try to keep the gentleman attire as that is how I started, though I will use object heads instead of different hair, eyes and so on. Don't get me wrong I do step away from using object and even masks all the time. But I must say this is my favorite thing to do! When I am not using an object head, full head mask and so forth I will try to hide the "identity". Only one part of the face gets to be revealed, like if the eyes are showing the nose and mouth can't be seen. If the mouth is revealed then is vice versa as the eyes are not shown. Pretty much is my own mystery game that nobody playing only me. I know strange xd .

As for collecting I do collect I am/companion items as I used to created my own specific look around them. One of my favorite things to do is creating a mini story on an avatar. I haven't done it quite for a long time, though. My favorite I am/companion item will always be Sundae's Treat. redface redface

Moving on! >///> An item that I like but wouldn't use? Hm. Kinda difficult as I learn to make dream avatars or outfits that I know I can afford. I try my best to not use items that are not available or out of my league to use/buy. Even though I do make an error a few times and been stuck with an outfit I love but the item is not available and when finally is people sell it but more than the average selling point (which sucks).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:00 am
xAdelienx

I'm loving it! It seems like a very introverted yet theatrical way to present yourself, having a mysterious and covered up look - done completely in bold colors.

Vishkah

Lavish Lunatic

20,875 Points
  • Sweet Diss, Sis 200
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Attending the Ball 25

Madeleine Heilburg

Colorful Sweetheart

25,715 Points
  • Married 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:58 am
Oh gosh I can´t say I have a signature style, I normally just go with whatever I feel like >w<
Sometimes it´s cute and whimsical, other times it´s more mature, sometimes saucy and sometimes it´s grim and brutal, so I don´t stick to one style ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:33 am
Vishkah

I'm loving it! It seems like a very introverted yet theatrical way to present yourself, having a mysterious and covered up look - done completely in bold colors.

(vvvv Exact reaction to your reply. vvvv)
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Everything I said in those paragraphs you describe it perfectly
in that sentence.

xAdelienx

Alien Entrepreneur

Chai Senpai

Shameless Streaker

29,865 Points
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:19 am
☆ If you had to pick your favorite Gaia items, what would they be and why? Are they things you wear all the time, or is your choice based on something else?
~ Oooh, good question. Hmm...a few of my favorites are theGodinas, Autumn beanies, street style cupcakes, and the Sea and Rosamund hairstyles. I usually wear the hair styles, though I also use the Godinas for going nekkid.

☆ Which items do you think are fantastic, design-wise?
~Hmm...I like the Keiko's cakes and the Thralls since I use the majority of the poses in them.

☆ Do you have a signature look or a style you prefer? Is it a character or a representation of some aspect of you, like a hobby, etc?
~Not really. I used to try for that when I first started Gaia, then it was a lot of Naruto cosplaying. Now my look is usually based off of holidays, seasons, a manga or anime, or any Gaia events going on. If I had a signature looks...it would probably be being naked, especially from my Zomg days.

☆ If you could collect a "set" of items, what would they be and why? Do you collect wings, halos, fairy items? Perhaps a matching set of colors?
~I have a few collections- the Godina items, Rosamunds, Keiko's Cake, Autumn Beanies, Sea items, Sea Princess, Street Style Cupcakes, Thralls, and the Lace dresses. When I really like how an item looks, I like to get all the colors for variety and flexibility biggrin

☆ What gets the most use in your inventory? Are there items that you feel are a permanent part of your look on Gaia?

~the Lucie, Rosamunds, Sea hairs, Lucie for the makeup. Godinas if I'm going naked biggrin

☆ Are there any items on Gaia that you love the look of, but wouldn't wear? Why?
~ Um...not really. If I like it, I'll probably wear it biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:06 pm
Generally I stick to making my avatar covered in purple. Purple is my favorite color. I also prefer the longer hairstyles  

Sabrinapocalypse

Vishkah

Lavish Lunatic

20,875 Points
  • Sweet Diss, Sis 200
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Attending the Ball 25
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:38 am

I have some replies I've been drafting, but in the midst of my flu-boggled mind, I'll go ahead and answer my own question.

Strangely enough, there aren't any particular items I consider part of my Gaia identity that I don't take off (There are a few that I default to interchangeably), but my signature look tends to be thus:

- Either dark or very light (as in white or icy blue-white, nothing with much color in it) hair.
        - Makeup (Usually any combination of blush, eye makeup and/or lipstick)
        - Grey to dark eyes.

There are combinations of items that go into this, but I can go without them individually so long as that overall theme is there, and that feels like my signature look.

I know this sounds completely bizarre, but if I wear any other color as hair now, I mentally classify it as a wig, because I'm so used to keeping to this color scheme. I don't know why this started happening, as I used to change my look all the time in my early days on this site.

☆ Chatterbox

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games