Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Newbie Supporting and Training Guild

Back to Guilds

The NSTG's mission is to provide a safe and educational environment for the fostering of newbies to productive Gaians. 

Tags: Guide, Support, Games, Newb, Help 

Reply ☆ Chatterbox
Lanzer's back! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:46 pm
I know, it was announced back in December.. but~ are you guys excited? Anything you hoping to see him (and his new old team) bring back to the community? Have you felt any of the changes so far?

If you arrived at Gaia after he left, he was basically the original admin... And someone we used to yell at to go get sleep because he'd stay up all night working code for the site and events. He also had a lot of interaction with the community and was a big part of why Gaia felt like a small community, even though we had tons of members.

Announcement

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:53 pm
I can say... I'm enjoying his journal updates. I didn't realize how much I missed reading those updates... until I saw the update notification a few weeks ago.

And his messages have been very moving. I'd been content with the CS-heavy Gaia since I knew we were still able to create our own little communities and events on this site. ... But to hear that the staff also has those goals is exciting. I really hope this direction will continue to work for this site.

... I also wonder if they're going to continue to release as many mass item recolors. That doesn't seem to be on Lanzer's MO. I'm all for all these events... and updating old and broken features... But I've also come to love these recolors. I remember the days when items I loved came in only one (possibly 2 or 3) colors. It sucked.

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:17 pm
    Y'ALL.

User Image

Y'ALL.

User Image

I am so excited for what 2017 has in store for our site.

And thank you, friend, for telling me about his journal! It had slipped my mind to subscribe to it and read his newest entries.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:14 pm
Ebania
    Y'ALL.

User Image

Y'ALL.

User Image

I am so excited for what 2017 has in store for our site.

And thank you, friend, for telling me about his journal! It had slipped my mind to subscribe to it and read his newest entries.

* u* Perfect reaction!

That's how I felt after reading one of his journal entries. That with... aaalllmmmooost wanting to cry because it was so perfect.... and wanting to clap. ... I wanted to try to put it all into words, but there was a glitch that wouldn't let people comment on journals. So after trying a few times (unsuccessfully) to post a comment, I gave up and walked away from teh computer. XD

But! He apparently fixed journal comments quickly after that. O 3O Which is also another wonderful sign that the site is headed in a great direction again.

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:49 pm
    I almost teared up, too! Since, say, mid-2014, I was prepared for this site to go downhill and meet us with a permanent 404 error at any moment. I was prepared for all of our hard work and friendships and good memories to simply go down the drain. And now, to know that the site will not only survive but thrive under its original ownership is just the best possible Christmas gift this site could have given us all.

sdrawkcab
    * u* Perfect reaction!

That's how I felt after reading one of his journal entries. That with... aaalllmmmooost wanting to cry because it was so perfect.... and wanting to clap. ... I wanted to try to put it all into words, but there was a glitch that wouldn't let people comment on journals. So after trying a few times (unsuccessfully) to post a comment, I gave up and walked away from teh computer. XD

But! He apparently fixed journal comments quickly after that. O 3O Which is also another wonderful sign that the site is headed in a great direction again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:22 pm
Wheee!!!! I am super excited. I hope we see less GC announcements and also secretly hope they bring zomg back T^T, but things are definitely looking hopeful for this site again.  

natsumi_bianca

natsumi_bianca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:22 pm
Also, I hope they start working on their tickets coz my trading pass is still disabled.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:35 pm
    Have you tried contacting Lanzer? From what I've heard, he's helped a few people who's posted in Site Feedback or asked in Ask the Admin. 3nodding

natsumi_bianca
    Also, I hope they start working on their tickets coz my trading pass is still disabled.

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

Vishkah

Lavish Lunatic

20,875 Points
  • Sweet Diss, Sis 200
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Attending the Ball 25
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:34 pm

I'm the type to be careful about getting excited, so I'm tentative, but hopeful! The original visionaries behind this site really did create memorable experiences that felt like they were coming from somewhere honest, so I hope this is a sign that things will change substantially for the better. I've been thinking for a few years now, at least, that things need to change lest this site go down for good.

Still, I'm glad Lanzer is back and very happy to see what he's been up to! I honestly hope this lives up to every bit of hope I've been seeing in this thread and elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:41 pm
Ebania
    I almost teared up, too! Since, say, mid-2014, I was prepared for this site to go downhill and meet us with a permanent 404 error at any moment. I was prepared for all of our hard work and friendships and good memories to simply go down the drain. And now, to know that the site will not only survive but thrive under its original ownership is just the best possible Christmas gift this site could have given us all.

Ever the compassionate realist, Ebania. I'm glad I wasn't the only one starting to mentally pack up in preparation for that moment.

I'll be watching and waiting to see how this goes! *hopeful finger-crossing*

Vishkah

Lavish Lunatic

20,875 Points
  • Sweet Diss, Sis 200
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Attending the Ball 25

Pickled Cactus

Enthusiastic Astronomer

20,125 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Energy Generator 250
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:36 am
sdrawkcab
...he'd stay up all night working code for the site and events. He also had a lot of interaction with the community and was a big part of why Gaia felt like a small community, even though we had tons of members.

THIS THIS THIS
Might be too early to say, but I'm optimistic with the changes he's already initiating! I swear the guy's tireless.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:40 am
    You are so sweet!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

But yeah -- you definitely weren't alone. I think that a lot of us were in that state. I genuinely hope that, under this new leadership, Gaia can return to a place where powerful sponsorships are a thing, where things function, where the community is vibrant and happy, where newbies come and actually stay, where growth is possible. I believe it can happen!

Vishkah
          Ever the compassionate realist, Ebania. I'm glad I wasn't the only one starting to mentally pack up in preparation for that moment.

I'll be watching and waiting to see how this goes! *hopeful finger-crossing*

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

sdrawkcab

A Duck

40,425 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Citizen 200
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:10 pm
Ebania

Over the years, other similar forum sites died... and we'd have a mass influx of those users. I'd read their tales about how they had been happy with their items and avatars and FRIENDS and how they were trying to start all over on a new site and trying to find a place for their old community to gather once again.
And @ .@ I couldn't imagine having to start all over. I'd joined other avatar sites over the years, but I never liked them as much as Gaia. XD So, for that, I'd hate to lose our avatars (and my items). But that would be soooo weird trying to gather everyone in a new place.

natsumi_bianca
Wheee!!!! I am super excited. I hope we see less GC announcements and also secretly hope they bring zomg back T^T, but things are definitely looking hopeful for this site again.

XDD From the sounds of it, lots of people are being vocal again about zOMG. Makes me wonder if the staff will listen. ... Sounds like they can't attempt it right now, financially, but in the future?

Vishkah

I'm the type to be careful about getting excited, so I'm tentative, but hopeful! The original visionaries behind this site really did create memorable experiences that felt like they were coming from somewhere honest, so I hope this is a sign that things will change substantially for the better. I've been thinking for a few years now, at least, that things need to change lest this site go down for good.

Still, I'm glad Lanzer is back and very happy to see what he's been up to! I honestly hope this lives up to every bit of hope I've been seeing in this thread and elsewhere.

That CEO that took over and cut out the devs, while churning out badly recolored items for money... I really was scared at first.
Then users dug up his Linked In and saw that he stays at places for 2 years, max.
So that was what kept me going. I just kept telling myself that Gaia just had to survive two years. @ .@ .... And sloooowwwly, the site did recover. They started listening more to users so we at least got events back and such.

I'm tentatively excited about his return too. He's made it clear what his goals are... They're just extremely lofty goals.
He's actually outdoing my expectations so far. XD ... That fix he did the other day for inventory load time... made my year. XD And it's only January.

Pickled Cactus
sdrawkcab
...he'd stay up all night working code for the site and events. He also had a lot of interaction with the community and was a big part of why Gaia felt like a small community, even though we had tons of members.

THIS THIS THIS
Might be too early to say, but I'm optimistic with the changes he's already initiating! I swear the guy's tireless.

I knowwwwww right? I didn't think he'd start his sleepless-coding-into-the-nights already. I want him to slow down. XD;  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:32 am
    I know!! Same!! I actually signed up for two other avatar sites -- same username on both, I think -- and it just wasn't the same. It didn't have the same early-Gaia feel. I can't imagine migrating over and starting anew: twelve years is a long time. That's a lot of time gathering items, building a community, spending real-life money -- honestly, I would have probably abandoned avatar sites altogether and just stuck to Tumblr or something.

sdrawkcab
    Over the years, other similar forum sites died... and we'd have a mass influx of those users. I'd read their tales about how they had been happy with their items and avatars and FRIENDS and how they were trying to start all over on a new site and trying to find a place for their old community to gather once again.
    And @ .@ I couldn't imagine having to start all over. I'd joined other avatar sites over the years, but I never liked them as much as Gaia. XD So, for that, I'd hate to lose our avatars (and my items). But that would be soooo weird trying to gather everyone in a new place.

Ebania
Crew

Sarcastic Prophet

Pickled Cactus

Enthusiastic Astronomer

20,125 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Rat Conqueror 500
  • Energy Generator 250
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:51 am
sdrawkcab
I knowwwwww right? I didn't think he'd start his sleepless-coding-into-the-nights already. I want him to slow down. XD;

Though I hope he takes care of himself (talking in his journal about how he's only had three hours of sleep is worrying lol), at the same time I want him to quickly undo all the mess that Gaia has turned into since new management took over. emotion_sweatdrop  
☆ Chatterbox

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff