Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [L5R 4e] Cartographers
L5R - Cartographers - Mapmaker's Tent (OOC Thread) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:53 pm
SCN_ Grey_fox
Given no one's response,

Serious question: About, how far away are they?

Not charging distance, but short walk distance. Depending on your pace, you could be all up in their grill in between 30 and 60 seconds.

Quote:
Not so serious hypothetical b.s. question:
I mean if Vahn Gahl(Hida Gahl's twin cousin half-brother) walked up, "Hey buddy, got a lite?" then bopped two of the monks over there heads and bodyslam the third into the frame of the building. So, the mentalist princess could mesmerize the area unimpeded, Could he do so before the GM spit up his coffee?

Edit: I wrote Vahn, instead of Hida in the ()...;p

Hida is your Family name (not necessarily blood family, but basically all the samurai that follow the same daimyo), so I think it would be appropriate to say Hida Vahn if you're looking for a brother.

And if Vahn's trying to throw them off guard while getting close to them to melee them, that would be an Awareness/Sincerity [Deceit]. Y'know, one of those social rolls I advised you not to take so many penalties in. Hopefully Vahn did not make that mistake. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:29 pm
Just an observation and it is probably a misprint, But why wouldn't Crane, Imps or Unicorn clans take Wealthy?

As printed in Last Haiku, Advantages page ... Bolded the important parts
Quote:
Wealthy [Material] (1 Point/Rank) [CR]
Your branch of the family is particularly wealthy, and they have granted you additional resources in order to facilitate your fulfillment of your dury. For each point spent on this Advantage, you gain two additional koku, to be added to the amount in your School outfit. Crane, Unicorn, and Imperial characters may purchase this Advantage for 1 point less of its cost.

It may be missing something about 'dury', but that is a FREE(0 point/rank) advantage for unlimited free money.  

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:15 am
Duty, I think. Hopefully not my typo!

Also note that it mentions RANK. Each purchase is an increase in rank, not separate. So the first rank is free. As for why they don't take it, maybe its not appropriate for their character concept/background?

In Desert Winds, I'm playing a Unicorn shugenja aiming to become a stablemaster. An important but not necessary lucrative position (and one I technically haven't earned yet), plus I'm out in the boonies exploring, so it didn't make sense for my character. :3  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:57 pm
I was just thinking in terms of starting gear and on-demand cash. But, I can easily see character concept being a reason against taking it.

Question: Can a character 'buy' back a disadvantage? To iterate differently, could someone take Infamous at the start and spend the points equal to the disadvantage at a later date to eliminate the negative? Or the reverse, refund the points spent on an advantage to spend somewhere else?

I ask as I build a fallback character(My first two GMs, made me paranoid about losing my characters. So, I constantly run through other builds in my spare time. sweatdrop Normally leave the backstory out, though...) And was thinking about the evolution of the character's ... um... character.  

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:20 pm
SCN_ Grey_fox
I was just thinking in terms of starting gear and on-demand cash. But, I can easily see character concept being a reason against taking it.

Question: Can a character 'buy' back a disadvantage? To iterate differently, could someone take Infamous at the start and spend the points equal to the disadvantage at a later date to eliminate the negative? Or the reverse, refund the points spent on an advantage to spend somewhere else?

I ask as I build a fallback character(My first two GMs, made me paranoid about losing my characters. So, I constantly run through other builds in my spare time. sweatdrop Normally leave the backstory out, though...) And was thinking about the evolution of the character's ... um... character.

It will vary by GM.

Regarding advantages: You cannot "sell" advantages, but you could lose them due to roleplaying reasons (read lips and you get blinded, etc). You aren't awarded any sort of refund or anything. What you buy at character creation, that's pretty much it. On the flipside, for the most part you cannot buy any more advantages, unless you earn it via roleplaying first (for example, saving a daimyo's life and gaining the Allies advantage). It will be my call when that happens.

Regarding disadvantages: You CAN remove a disadvantage by buying it back, but as above, you have to earn it via roleplaying first. If you were Cast Out, and somehow make peace with the monks, you can buy it off at that point. I'd encourage people to pursue that, because it's character development! But you cannot just do it on a whim. It will be my discretion.

That's how I run it, but always ask your GM first 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:26 am
That is good to note...being you are the only L5R gm I got to play with.

That said, I understand it has only been three days. But, please someone post, before I take Vahn's advise and roll that Sincerity roll... and do something very stupid, yet fun, like playing Tee ball with the monks' heads... Just out of spite for leading Gahl to the Crane lands.

(I already stated, I suck at being patient... didn't I? I think I did, somewhere)  

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:03 pm
My apologies on my own posting. Last week one of my peers was out on bereavement so we've fallen behind. Got out at 7:30 tonight (instead of my normal 5), and I'm losing half of tomorrow and all of Friday due to an event I need to attend as a company representative so what little catch-up progress I've made is going to be lost again gonk

I can't speak for the others though. Let me post for ya real quick before I disappear to slumber.

EDIT: Oh, and a class about updates to our programs on Thursday sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:58 pm
I was more hoping for one of the others. I understood your job keeps you hostages at times.  

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

SCN_ Grey_fox rolled 3 10-sided dice: 10, 5, 6 Total: 21 (3-30)

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:29 am
Void pointed intelligence/Lore:Theology 3k2 skittles  
SCN_ Grey_fox rolled 3 10-sided dice: 1, 3, 1 Total: 5 (3-30)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:31 am
forgot to handle the boomers possibility  

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:46 am
SCN_ Grey_fox

I was starting to write the post, but I'm having trouble making sense of which dice were for which roll. Can you please edit in something like, "Dice 1-X are for ____ roll, dice (X+1)-Y are for _____ roll), etc etc"? There's dice rolled between 3 different posts and I don't know what goes with what.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:43 am
Rain Yupa
SCN_ Grey_fox

I was starting to write the post, but I'm having trouble making sense of which dice were for which roll. Can you please edit in something like, "Dice 1-X are for ____ roll, dice (X+1)-Y are for _____ roll), etc etc"? There's dice rolled between 3 different posts and I don't know what goes with what.
Sorry, I really didn't know what I wanted to post there. sweatdrop

Better?  

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:48 am
SCN_ Grey_fox
Better?

Yes! Thank you 3nodding

As GM, it's also my responsibility to make sure you don't short yourself on any rolls, and it's hard for me to know if I didn't know which die applied to what roll sweatdrop  
Paidi tou Selini rolled 2 10-sided dice: 4, 8 Total: 12 (2-20)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:05 pm
Intelligence/Theology Explosion  

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:24 am
As a heads up, I need a super brief hiatus. I've been very busy this next week and will be the first half of next, in preparation for a presentation at work on Thursday the 1st, along with other obligations (visiting friends out of town, a promise to help support a party on Saturday, working extra shifts, making efforts to get my sink replaced because it's a piece of crap, etc).

The presentation is the biggest time sink of my free time right now though, so after next Thursday, I'll be around more to post.

My apologies for my absence in the meantime.  
[L5R 4e] Cartographers

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff