Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Modified 4e, Grant a wish campaign interest check wip Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:50 pm
Mongooseh
SCN_ Grey_fox
I normally let players build/think as they wish, but magic weapons with the thrown(light or heavy) property return to the wielder.

Pg. 232 PHB. I am unaware if they changed it with a errata.

So, you could do both if you want.

Edit; I am probably misunderstanding the problem...

Well that and its an optics thing for me. I'm imagining this orc with two big ol axes just butchering his way through things, to change this i'd need to use shittier weapons that in my minds eye doesnt look as cool and i'd need to change my build that i've had in this game/thread since....

December 31st 2016

Edit: Whatever, I'm probably just being a stubborn c**t. Will look into making something that might be more suitable to the party composition.

It's a trap! You build your character however YOU want to. If you want to be the melee buzzsaw of death, be the melee buzzsaw of death. 3nodding

I think it was just a matter of "you CAN do the thrown-weapon melee ranger build" rather than "you SHOULD do the thrown-weapon melee ranger build". You can just carry your big axes and a bow/crossbow, and swap as needed. Doesn't even need to be a magical bow. Ranged attacks only truly matter for a melee-focused character if they can't reach the enemy any other way.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:46 pm
What Rain said, play the character YOU want!

I took your statement about money as in saying, "I want to do both and be awesome in both, but damn you gold limiters!" scream But if your heart and mind are set on being a melee god, Kord and Bane be damned, by all means be a melee god. biggrin  

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:25 pm
As the above. I like the concept, and if you're worried about reaching things, well... between Rain and I, we should have our range down, and I suspect the warlock will be plenty competent in ranged fighting and mobility, so we should have that down. And IIRC the half orc stats on a ranger should make you quite set for charging things down when you want to. I've never statted a ranger, but Orcs-with-better-stats sure get charge support.

Now regarding leaders with a strong range presence, I think I've got some options.

Runepriests are out. Clerics I know have some good options, probably even beyond becoming a healbot or laser-gun. Bards can make range work with implements or bows, though I think their bows are pretty ranged-ally and defense oriented, and doubling up on Will. Warlords have a bow build... but I think it mostly grants RBAs?

And honestly I just don't know much about shamans. I've tried glancing them over but I never really get a great feel for them.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:32 pm
Just wondering why Artifacti wasn't on that list?

Edit; you just listed all the others, and left it out  

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:05 pm
Hey SCN, quick question. The Self-Forged Paragon Path gets the ability to make/use an item called a Battlefist. Said item was originally a warforged component in 3.5. I was wondering if I could get one or if it was stuck to the Self-Forged artificer path.

Battlefist: You have a battlefist, which replaces your hand. The battlefist is a melee weapon with which you are proficient. It is a part of the mace weapon group, deals 1d8 damage, and has a +3 proficiency bonus. You can hold items in your battlefist as though it were your hand, but you must not be holding anything when you use your battle fist as a weapon. You can use the Enchant Magic Item (Player's Handbook, page 304), Disenchant Magic Item (Player's Handbook, page 304), and Transfer Enchantment (Adventurer's Vault, page 199) rituals on the battlefist. Using Disenchant Magic Item on the battlefist does not destroy it.

If not, going to just go with the embedded battleaxe. Still deciding on what magical property to put on the weapon.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:31 pm
Raganui Minamoto
You can use the Enchant Magic Item (Player's Handbook, page 304), Disenchant Magic Item (Player's Handbook, page 304), and Transfer Enchantment (Adventurer's Vault, page 199) rituals on the battlefist. Using Disenchant Magic Item on the battlefist does not destroy it.

As a FYI, I have all of those rituals 4laugh  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:40 pm
Psychofish
As the above. I like the concept, and if you're worried about reaching things, well... between Rain and I, we should have our range down, and I suspect the warlock will be plenty competent in ranged fighting and mobility, so we should have that down. And IIRC the half orc stats on a ranger should make you quite set for charging things down when you want to. I've never statted a ranger, but Orcs-with-better-stats sure get charge support.

Now regarding leaders with a strong range presence, I think I've got some options.

Runepriests are out. Clerics I know have some good options, probably even beyond becoming a healbot or laser-gun. Bards can make range work with implements or bows, though I think their bows are pretty ranged-ally and defense oriented, and doubling up on Will. Warlords have a bow build... but I think it mostly grants RBAs?

And honestly I just don't know much about shamans. I've tried glancing them over but I never really get a great feel for them.

I got to say Clerics got to be one of my favorites. In my opinion they are the most customizable class in the game in the.

That being said. Play what you think you will have the most fun playing. If you have decied to go forward with a leader though then I'm going to go ahead and begin transcribing my warlock to Mythreavers.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:13 am
Honestly, I just forgot about artificer. Left ardent out too, but that's because it says we're going off Rain's allowed sources, and he prefers to keep the psionics out.

And yeah, clerics and warlords definitely have the most support, and having magic just gives the clerics a bigger bag of more varied tricks. Don't recall if artificers had any support outside the Eberon handbook, but IIRC they did have some neat tricks.

Edit: Yeah, artificer has some neat things going on but the only part of it really driving me to go with it mechanically is the idea that all the weapon attacks are melee or ranged and their thrown weapons return, so I could just take a throwing weapon and go between melee and range without any penalty. Hookwise... mostly coming up with a creepy Pinocchio-esque concept, so maybe not.  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

SCN_ Grey_fox rolled 24 6-sided dice: 4, 5, 2, 6, 5, 2, 1, 3, 3, 1, 3, 5, 4, 1, 3, 4, 5, 4, 2, 4, 2, 5, 4, 5 Total: 83 (24-144)

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:23 pm
Ignore the dice rolls, just me multitasking...

Rain Yupa
Cassandra Carlisle, Human Swordwizard.

I have only noticed two small things.

Who hit ya?I want to thank them for lowering your hp...*cough* I mean, your current hp is missing 1 hit point. Not really a big thing, just wanted to point that out

I have to double check, but it looks like you are shorting your remaining gold by 40.  
SCN_ Grey_fox rolled 24 6-sided dice: 6, 3, 4, 3, 2, 2, 6, 4, 4, 3, 5, 4, 3, 4, 6, 3, 3, 2, 4, 2, 1, 2, 6, 5 Total: 87 (24-144)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:38 pm
Raganui Minamoto
Hey SCN, quick question. The Self-Forged Paragon Path gets the ability to make/use an item called a Battlefist. Said item was originally a warforged component in 3.5. I was wondering if I could get one or if it was stuck to the Self-Forged artificer path.

Battlefist: You have a battlefist, which replaces your hand. The battlefist is a melee weapon with which you are proficient. It is a part of the mace weapon group, deals 1d8 damage, and has a +3 proficiency bonus. You can hold items in your battlefist as though it were your hand, but you must not be holding anything when you use your battle fist as a weapon. You can use the Enchant Magic Item (Player's Handbook, page 304), Disenchant Magic Item (Player's Handbook, page 304), and Transfer Enchantment (Adventurer's Vault, page 199) rituals on the battlefist. Using Disenchant Magic Item on the battlefist does not destroy it.

If not, going to just go with the embedded battleaxe. Still deciding on what magical property to put on the weapon.

Does someone want a Fallout Powerfist? xp

I am fine with it,  

SCN_ Grey_fox
Crew

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:49 pm
SCN_ Grey_fox
Ignore the dice rolls, just me multitasking...

Rain Yupa
Cassandra Carlisle, Human Swordwizard.

I have only noticed two small things.

Who hit ya?I want to thank them for lowering your hp...*cough* I mean, your current hp is missing 1 hit point. Not really a big thing, just wanted to point that out

I have to double check, but it looks like you are shorting your remaining gold by 40.

I kept flipflopping a floating +1 between my CON and STR so my HP kept changing. I decided to flip STR and CHA and that solved my problem sweatdrop

And breakdown of gold expenditure, using 21000 gp:
Gloves of Storing (4200)
Endless Canteen (4200)
Handy Haversack (5000)
Restful Bedroll (360)
Floating Lantern (680)
Chime of Awakening (840)
Hunter's Flint (520)
A bunch o' rituals (4390)

810 gp remains
Alchemical Reagents (650)
Rare Herbs (150)
10 gp remains

Then I get a bunch of free mundane gear unless you say otherwise. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:49 pm
Background and fluffy text complete.

For everyone else's reference, since I mentioned it to Fish on skype:

At will ranges: Melee, Close Burst 1, Area 1 square within 10
Encounter ranges: Area burst 1 within 10, Ranged 5, Ranged 5, Ranged 10
Daily ranges: Close blast 3, Ranged 10, Close blast 5

I'm going to be a hard-to-kill controller more than a typical defender. Only someone like me would make a "ranged defender" =_=  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Psychofish rolled 28 6-sided dice: 5, 1, 3, 5, 3, 6, 3, 3, 4, 2, 5, 1, 6, 1, 4, 5, 2, 5, 2, 6, 5, 3, 5, 5, 5, 6, 4, 2 Total: 107 (28-168)

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:50 am
So I'm seeing from the first few pages that we roll best-3-of-4d6 7 times? And then... point buy or reroll if it's awful? The attribute area on page one is kind of blank.

5+1+3+5=13
3+6+3+3=12
4+2+5+1=11
6+1+4+5=15
2+5+2+6=13
5+3+5+5=15
5+6+4+2=15

Well, I've seen worse. Doesn't give me any starting 18s, but it will solve my double-primary-and-a-rider issue  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:23 pm
Still need to write down his background, but here he is.

Wrex, Warforged Juggernaut

A close approximation of what he looks like (Just add a command horn and oversized right arm)
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I was going to go steampunk, but then I got to the shield and how it was going to be attached and then we just hit onto this. Describing some of his magic items as sounding a bit more technical.

Also, I have no idea what to actually wish for.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:56 pm
Oh, and SCN, hopefully you don't mind that I implied a few of the 15 that didn't survive the battle were characters from Cassie's background.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff